Pioneer PDP-428XD can’t connect to Sonos beam

mikeeb123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just purchased a Sonos beam to add to my pioneer kuro pdp-428xd but it appears that the ‘optical out’ on the TV only sends out sounds when using the TV internal tuner, and not if you have Virgin and/or Fire stick attached via HDMI (which I have)?

Does anyone know of a work around? I’ve seen mention of an audio extractor but those threads were old and there was no conclusion? I’ve tried looking on Amazon to look at audio extractors but it’s really not obvious if they will work?

many thanks

Michael

An audio extractor should work but they may be a bit hit or miss depending on model/price. I have a Sky box that ran into a splitter that had a spdif output that fed my amp with the HDMI then going into my 5080 (the 428's bigger brother). As is often the case I had a few teething problems with set up but it worked fine once I got it going.

An audio extractor should work but they may be a bit hit or miss depending on model/price. I have a Sky box that ran into a splitter that had a spdif output that fed my amp with the HDMI then going into my 5080 (the 428's bigger brother). As is often the case I had a few teething problems with set up but it worked fine once I got it going.
Thanks Timmy. Which splitter do you have? Would it work with a Virgin box (assume it would be the same as your sky box?) and a fire stick?

Re the audio extractor, happy to pay for a reasonable one, but no idea which I’d get as had never even heard of them before tonight! After spending £400 on the beam, I’d just like to get the best solution possible.

Thanks for commenting so quickly.

Mike

I have both Geffen and Octava splitters in a reasonably complicated multi room set up but I think it's one of the Octava ones I'm using to strip out the sound. I've used it with a Sky box, youview box and Roku stick so would assume it would work with anything.

One problem I do have though is I can't get 5.1 out of Netflix with the Roku. As I understand it, the DD+ soundtrack should also carry regular DD sound that my ancient processor can deal with but I can't get that to work. Regular 5.1 from Sky box isn't a problem though.

I have both Geffen and Octava splitters in a reasonably complicated multi room set up but I think it's one of the Octava ones I'm using to strip out the sound. I've used it with a Sky box, youview box and Roku stick so would assume it would work with anything.

One problem I do have though is I can't get 5.1 out of Netflix with the Roku. As I understand it, the DD+ soundtrack should also carry regular DD sound that my ancient processor can deal with but I can't get that to work. Regular 5.1 from Sky box isn't a problem though.
Thanks Timmy. I’m a relative novice and have just googled octava and it came up with lots of different options. Is there a certain one you’d recommend? Appreciate its late so don’t worry if it’s tomorrow you reply.

thanks again

Mike

Not really. Octava products are great but expensive and all mine a pretty old and outdated. If I were you I'd consider trying one of the cheap brands on amazon first and return it if it doesn't work.

Seeing as you mention multiple sources, then perhaps a switcher with audio extraction might be best. Maybe something like this is worth a try? Picked it randomly but there's plenty of others to choose from.

Amazon product ASIN B073TXX3KV

Thanks so much for your help, Timmy.

In case anyone has this problem and is looking through these forums in the future, these are the extractors that are well-reviewed and confirm that they work with the Beam in the reviews or questions:

Amazon product ASIN B07JJS6SVD
Amazon product ASIN B0734SYLJL
I ended up going for this one as it seemed to have more capability (eg it is compatible with HDCP 2.2). No idea if this will benefit over the above, but thought the more it could do, the more likely it is to work well with the Beam!)

Amazon product ASIN B07PPMR8Y2

Hope it works out although I can't see why it wouldn't. Let us know how you get on.

You can usually disable the TV speakers in the TV settings and set the TV audio to external.

Joe

I have a similar problem, I recently purchased a beam which connected to my Panasonic tv which worked fine but suddenly will not see the hdmi arc or optical. I have reset the beam but no luck. The tv is set to amplifier. Would be grateful of some ideas.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom