Pioneer PDP-4280XD SCART signal selection

PseudoRandom

Novice Member
I have my Pio 4280 connected by fully populated SCART cables to a PS2 and a Topfield TF5800.

I was trying to work out whether I am actually getting RGB over SCART as desired, but cannot figure it out. No matter whether I select "RGB" or "Video" in the input options on the TV, I get an identical picture from the PS2 or Toppy. No matter whether I select "RGB" or "CVBS" in the Topfield output type setup, I get an identical picture.

I know from experience that the PS2 output to a CRT looks worse on composite than with RGB (no surprise). Not sure about the Toppy, but I can't believe it would be identical.

Is the RGB/CVBS signalling line in the SCART connector overriding any manual selection on the TV, or what? :confused:

car-man

I have my Pio 4280 connected by fully populated SCART cables to a PS2 and a Topfield TF5800.

I was trying to work out whether I am actually getting RGB over SCART as desired, but cannot figure it out. No matter whether I select "RGB" or "Video" in the input options on the TV, I get an identical picture from the PS2 or Toppy. No matter whether I select "RGB" or "CVBS" in the Topfield output type setup, I get an identical picture.

I know from experience that the PS2 output to a CRT looks worse on composite than with RGB (no surprise). Not sure about the Toppy, but I can't believe it would be identical.

Is the RGB/CVBS signalling line in the SCART connector overriding any manual selection on the TV, or what? :confused:

Hi, my 4280 is connected by RGB Scart using input 1, when Input 1 is selected, you get an indication in the right hand corner saying, Input 1 RGB.

kingfats

Distinguished Member

Hi PseudoRandom. :)
What's the PQ like :confused: good? :)
All the best.

PseudoRandom

Novice Member
Hi, my 4280 is connected by RGB Scart using input 1, when Input 1 is selected, you get an indication in the right hand corner saying, Input 1 RGB.
Yeah, but I'm not sure if that's what's really happening or whether it's just telling me what I've set it to. :)

What's the PQ like :confused: good? :)
Pretty good. I think it's RGB, but I can't be 100% sure. But it also doesn't seem to get worse when I say I want it as composite.

Perhaps I could force the issue removing the composite wire from the SCART! :D

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Pretty good. I think it's RGB, but I can't be 100% sure. But it also doesn't seem to get worse when I say I want it as composite.

:
I can remember a couple more posts on this issue in the 8th gen thread,i wouldn't worry about it ;) i'm quite sure your getting a RGB picture. :smashin:
Cheers.