Pioneer PDP 4280 XD

daimlerblue

Novice Member
I have 1 Pioneer 4280 plasma TV
Also a Pioneer HTP - SB300 sound are
With Pioneer LX 54 blu-Ray player
All centred around the Sky HD box
I am trying to set them up to all work in conjunction but it's so far proving a bit too difficult for my "aged" understanding
I also have HDMI and OPTICAL leads could any advice on how to connect this equipment please
I have had the plasma for 6 plus years without it all being connected, really impressed with the Pioneer plasma, but to have it all working would be quite an experience

gigglebug

1 x Hdmi lead from Sky box Hdmi output to Hdmi input 1 on the soundbar
1 x Hdmi lead from Blu-ray player Hdmi output to Hdmi input 2 on the soundbar
1 x Hdmi lead from soundbar Hdmi output to Hdmi 1 input on TV

TV set to Hdmi 1, soundbar set to Hdmi 1 to watch and hear what is on the Sky box
TV set to Hdmi 1, soundbar set to Hdmi 2 to watch and hear what is on the Blu-ray player

If you still want to watch content on the TV by itself and not through the Sky box or Blu-ray player you will need to use;

1 x optical lead from TV optical output to optical input on the soundbar

This will mean that the sound from the TV will be played through the soundbar.

TV set to what ever you are watching, soundbar set to optical input to see and hear what is on the TV

In all cases you will be able to set the TV volume to zero and let the soundbar take over the audio duties

Hope that helps and makes sense

daimlerblue

Novice Member
gigglebug........Very informative details i thank you for these ....a great help as i am totally a first class numpty with this sort of stuff

gigglebug

That's ok, your welcome. If you don't have enough Hdmi leads just buy the cheapest you can, they all send the data the same way so buying a more expensive one will have no effect on the picture. They will be better built though so that might be the only consideration.

daimlerblue

Novice Member
giggle bug if the optical lead from the tv doesn't not ha be illumination. At the connection point does that mean it's dead....
Or could I have switched it off at some point or can it be turned on?
The guy who is helping me to set up thinks the optical lead is dead as no illumination is there.......he's not red hot with these things either.....Joe

gigglebug

Hi joe

There should be red light emitting from the optical output port of the TV, do you have this?

Last edited:

gigglebug

If you do but there is no light being emitted from the optical cable when it is connected to the TV then yes the cable could well be non functional. They are rather more fragile than the average lead unfortunately!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Page 60 of the TV's user manual states that the digital out (optical) is not present with an HDMI input...in other words there's no optical out available when viewing the Sky box...the set only outputs optical from it's own tuner so you need to connect the Sky optical out directly to the soundbar.

Last edited:

daimlerblue

Novice Member
Gents, I really do appreciate your help and advice I will check the suggestions with my fingers crossed.....Joe

gigglebug

Page 60 of the TV's user manual states that the digital out (optical) is not present with an HDMI input...in other words there's no optical out available when viewing the Sky box...the set only outputs optical from it's own tuner so you need to connect the Sky optical out directly to the soundbar.
Hi Jay

I'm reading that you are saying that when the TV is receiving an input from one of it's Hdmi inputs that it cannot output from it's optical output at the same time which is backed up by page 60 of the user manual. It's seems strange that this would be case as it's a common way of sending the audio output of a TV to any additional amplification where Hdmi audio return is not present. My set is still producing the red light from the optical port even though I am using up some of the Hdmi ports, unfortunately I don't posses an optical lead to test it's functionality either way though.

I don't think Joe should require having the optical lead between the Sky box and the soundbar though as he is already going to connect them with a Hdmi lead, or am I missing something?

Sorry if this confusing matters Joe, I'm just interested in the workings and why it is so

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Just one of the weird design quirks of sets of that vintage I'm afraid and modern sets output optical from all sources.

daimlerblue

Novice Member
Hi all I did a cheat and contacted Pioneer who put me onto a Pioneer agent locally ..........for a reasonable cost £50 they will come out and not only fix any faults with the TV they connect all equipment to my requirements.
Evidently it's a quirk that used to occur quite often in the earlier years.
I don't want to sound ungrateful for your efforts as anyone who can come in and complete the job has for a reasonable cost saved me investing in a new set up with new equipment by the same engineers who used to make the Kuro screens with Pioneer
Evidently the 55EC 930 LG OLED TVs are the nearest to my Pioneer.....
but a basic £1800 . O0 for the TV then the outlay for the rest is a bit more than I wanted to pay
So a merry Christmas to you all and thank you for your concern.....Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom