Pioneer PDP-427XD v TH-42PX70/700

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Deadlydave36, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Deadlydave36

Deadlydave36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice on which one of these two/three is the best for picture quality. The connectivity is fine on all as I can connect my PS3 and SKY HD via HDMI. I have a Denon reciever so sound quality is not an issue, I just want the best Picture I can get. Also I don't want something that will be obsolete in a short space of time (yes, I know I don't want much!) I would be grateful for any advice you could give.
    The Panasonic is quite a bit cheaper but I've heard very good things about the Pioneer

Cheers

Dave

2. supersneak

supersneak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The PX700 is an unknown quantity at the moment. The Pioneer (probably) has the best picture, both SD and HD. It is future-proofed in as much as it will accept 1080p/24 for BlueRay movie playback. There is, however, an ongoing issue with dirty screen and buzzing problems. The PX70 seems to be fairly robust with little reported problems, apart from a relatively soft SD picture, but excellent black levels.

3. Deadlydave36

Deadlydave36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this,

If I could be cheeky, is the Panasonic Future Proofed in the same way?

Dave

4. supersneak

supersneak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I believe the Panasonics will accept 1080p input but don't have a 24fps movie setting.

5. Deadlydave36

Deadlydave36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to sounds like a real clown but what is the benefit of the 24fps movie setting

David

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    You clown! [​IMG]

It's due to BR movies being recorded and processed throughout the chain at 24fps.
    So, 1920x1080p24 is as the director sees it.
    If you trundle over to Pioneer's US site, you'll find videos from CES in January where this is all explained very nicely.
    Just waiting for the playback devices now.

7. Deadlydave36

Deadlydave36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it needs to be the Pioneer then really!

Dave

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hello Bobo! :hiya:

Yes, Pioneer are the only ones at the moment.

9. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I'm really not sure how this works out...I'm gonna have to look it up and see if it really makes much difference...:confused:

...as I understand it 24fps (frames per second) is the speed the movie is originally filmed at, if they still use a film camera, which is the same as saying 24Hz (24 cycles per second)...so does this mean the Pioneer is running at only 24 Hz in this mode?

...there's a bit of debate about the Panasonic UK models 'only' running at 50Hz instead of the option of the 'better' 100Hz available on European versions of the same model...surely 24Hz would be fairly flickery?...

...TV in the UK is synchronised to the electricity mains frequency of 50Hz (and on some tvs that is therefore easily doubled to 100Hz, to reduce flicker)...and in practice that means we usually see movies on UK television being shown slightly faster at 25fps (25Hz doubled to the 50Hz by scanning and transmitting 2 frames for every original 1 on the film)...instead of keeping the film running at original speed, and trying to conjure up an extra frame in addition to the 24 original in order to make it fit the 25/50 Hz transmission maths....

...confused yet?....the thing is nobody really notices that we watch the movie a little bit faster than the original speed it was shot at....and I thought that's what happened when we watch a DVD....all the frames have been tranferred onto disk, and we just run them through the player (and tv) a little faster than they were intended...

...so is Pioneer saying you get to see the movie at it's original speed (about 4% slower)?....and that's the whole "as the director intended" thing?...and how much extra money do they want for this? (and you need to buy the Pioneer 1080/24p capable Blu-ray player as well)....I guess that's what you've got to ask yourself...

...in the USA they have much more of a problem!...there they have to turn 24fps (24Hz) into the 60Hz electric mains frequency that's used for their NTSC tv system...the maths just don't work out!...they have to show each movie frame 2 and a half times, to turn 24 into 60...which is messy....so the Pioneer 1080/24p system on Blu-ray and plasma will make a real improvement for the Americans (and Japanese who use the same NTSC 60 Hz??)...

...so I don't think it's something I'm gonna rush out and pay extra for....

...however......the ability to pixel match one-to-one (no overscanning) seems to be something really worth having when I buy my first 'true HD' 1920x1080 tv!

...but that reminds me...we're only talking about regular HD tvs here...ones that can't display full 1080p signals anyway...only scale them to fit...so that doesn't justify buying an expensive Pioneer 1080/24p Blu-ray player yet anyway...does it?...which is the only reason for buying a '24' enabled tv to display it's output.....

...hmmmm.....I'm confused now:suicide:

10. giggsy13

giggsy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    jeez i am having a stiff drink after reading that.................you know what all this jargon stuff etc my Panny px70, with a HD drive plugged in, looks absolutely amazing, to me it is a HUGE upgrade, and at the end of the day folks is all that matters.

I am a complete film nut, and at the moment my whole collection has a new lease of life with my px70, and HD is just phenomenal.

Joined lovefilm.com online 3 months for £4.99 for going back to them, and they stock HD movies now - woo hoo!

just watched Deer Hunter tonight, lovely print - now just about to stick bourne supremacy HD on, and be totally cream crackered tomorrow!

laterz peeps

11. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you giggsy:D ...I've got so many SD DVDs that all I want is the best way to play them BIG!.....

...so get back to me later about what player you're using, will you?..that's the kind of recomendation I really need:smashin:

12. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Plasma doesn't refresh like a CRT so it's not really flickering. It changes the picture 24 times a second though
    Correct although the 50Hz thing is historical.
    No ;)
    The digital file on the disk is stored at a different resolution and rate, so it's not just like playing the same disk back a little faster.
    Well yes. But it's really mainly to solve what you wrote next as HD DVD & BluRay players are largely 60Hz output, not 50. When they're not 24 that is.

And a lot of other countries. They clearly dont show each frame 2.5 times, that's where 3:2 pulldown comes from which causes judder on panning shots.
    I guess it depends how much you care about 3:2 judder & how much you're prepared to pay to solve it.

13. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...thanks choddo...gonna think about that for a bit:)

...sounds like you're saying HD+BR DVDs are now encoded at 60Hz, which would cement the pulldown error onto the disk?...no, you're probably not saying that...because then you couldn't correct the problem afterwards on the plasmas..

...if plasmas don't share CRTs display frequency nature, what do they do?...and how come people are arguing about a 50/100Hz option on the European versions of the PX70s?

...is there a set frequency in the disc encoding?...and if there is only the 24fps nature of the film stored, then why do plasmas have any problem at all...or need pulldown, if they aren't running at a fixed display frequency related to the mains?

...and how come my head is now revolving around my shoulders?...

...I think I'm going to lie down now......:rolleyes:

14. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...something that occurs to me DeadlyDave, is to ask if you have considered the Pioneer 'All-in-one' version of the Pioneer 427...the 4270...it has stand built in, whereas you pay extra for the stand with the 427...and it's actually a lot cheaper than the 427!...although I believe it's exactly the same glass...still has 1080/24p capability...

...there are some differences, so you'd better check them out...for example the 4270 comes with only 1 HDMI, and the 427 has 2....

...I've seen the 4270 just over £1000, which is getting close to the Panasonic 42PX70 price of under £1000....

...when price comparing, be sure to include the stand you want...the 4270 is the only one with included stand...

15. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    427 includes speakers, 507 is the one that doesn't - they're optional extras.
    427 also loses subwoofer output and a couple of other things - you can compare the two on Pioneer's site to see exactly what you give up.

16. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. giggsy13

giggsy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hey s1mon i am using an oppo981 it does an amazing job with normal dvds, i also have the xbox 360 HD drive, it has had a bit of bad press coz it cant plug in HDMI, however i have to say over component at 1080i it looks amazing...............

18. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx m8...:thumbsup:

...I'm pretty much convinced to get the Oppo...just toying with the idea of the new Panny recordables...I don't suppose you can get everything in one package anyway...a bit 'Jack-of-all-trades'...and the Oppo is supposed to be very good for upscaling...

...plasma first, I think....and reading this thread I'm wondering if the 'commercial' Panasonic PH9 should also be in the running, in this thread....I've just been reading the pdf manual for the new, unreleased, PH10UK...posted on another thread...for the US market...

click here to go to the PH9 / 10 thread

...these screens have terrific adjustability/good reviews...and AVSales is doing a deal on the PH9 with HDMI board...I'll have to work out total price with stand, and maybe the speakers for convenience...to compare it with the above tv sets...

...nobody knows price/availability of the UK PH10, so I'll ignore that one...although I'll have to check out the specs for the PH9 yet to see it's differences from the PH10...