Pioneer PD-D6 Mk2-K CD Player...or Marantz ? ...or Arcam CD73? ...or Cyrus CD6?

Reichenbach

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thinking about upgrading CD Player to Pioneer PD-D6 Mk2-K. Anyone got one or heard any reviews on it?

Other options are used Arcam CD73, used Cyrus Cd6 or new Marantz (either CD6003 or SA7001). (Rega Apollo was 1st choice but too expensive, 2nd hand ones are like hen's teeth and I'm fed up waiting! :devil:) So I would also welcome any thoughts on those alternates as well as the Pioneer, especially if anyone's got a view on how close the Pioneer or Marantz can come to older higher end equipment like the Arcam or Cyrus? :confused:

My amp is Cyrus 8vs and speakers are in process of being swapped out - will probably end up with Rega RS1, used PMCs or Focal Chorus 705v (or maybe their big brother :nono:). Prefer a slightly forward sound with wide sound stage. Don't like anything overly lush sounding. Small room with no furnishings really and wooden floor so don't want booming bass either, although I do listen mostly to rock - Rush, Rainbow, Floyd, Led Zep, Deep Purple - plus a bit of vocal like Paul Weller, Billy Bragg. So i guess decent, controlled base but nothing over the top. Picky, eh?!

All comments, opinions, views gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

hi,i would definatly go down the 2nd hand route,there are some bargains to be had!my personal choice would be the cyrus cd6 or even a cd8 if you were lucky!im using a cd6 with an onix amp/pmc tb2's & find the cyrus to be a fast,detailed sound that works well with rock/metal music!i also like drum & bass/house & it really keeps up with the fast pace!maybe an exposure cd,or musical fidelity if you can find them!good luck

hi,i would definatly go down the 2nd hand route,there are some bargains to be had!my personal choice would be the cyrus cd6 or even a cd8 if you were lucky!im using a cd6 with an onix amp/pmc tb2's & find the cyrus to be a fast,detailed sound that works well with rock/metal music!i also like drum & bass/house & it really keeps up with the fast pace!maybe an exposure cd,or musical fidelity if you can find them!good luck

Yup, it's a good thought. My 8vs was a reprocessed unit so I'm not averse to the 2nd hand kit. Maybe a bit more nervous about 2nd hand CD player as opposed to amp right enough, particularly when no warranty at all. Certainly, if 2nd hand I was leaning towards Cyrus rather than Arcam, that's for sure. Anyway, that's 1-0 to the Cyrus then...!!!! Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. :thumbsup:

just a thought,on the warranty front i think you can take out a private warranty with some companys!i did this with my lcd rather than the extortionate store prices!could be an idea if you went 2nd hand?

whats changed in the PD-D6 Mk2-K from the mk1?

The Cyrus CDP's 2nd hand would be good but the Arcam CD72 or CD73 would be worth looking at as well. Very good CDP's and rarely go wrong ;)

The Arcam CD92 or even the CD192 (if you can find one) would be a good fit!

I think the Rega Apollo would fit nicely as well and they do come up on eBay every so often so keep looking :)

As for speakers; have you heard your Cyrus gear with the M/A RS1's? If not I'd demo them as it is a very bright system and fairly forward too. I know you said above that youre after a forward sounding system but IMO the Cyrus/Monitor Audio combo is a little too bright and OTT.

I think the Focals would be a good call as would some B&W CM1's.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom