1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Or sony ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by -=Maxed=-, Jan 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. -=Maxed=-

-=Maxed=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love the look and stats of the PIONEER VSX-AX3... But i also like the SONY STR-DA3000ES because its a beast...

What would be the best buy ?? I know a few people like the HK amp's but im not keen on them and would not match the rest of my gear :rolleyes:

What do you think ?

:smashin:

2. -=Maxed=-

-=Maxed=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone :confused:

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Admittedly I haven't heard the Sony. But both are said to be very good amps, I think you'd be chuffed with either.

I'd probably lean toward the Pioneer were I you.

4. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest go for Pio....smashing sounds
    Btw, I'm selling my Pio2011 +B&W S3s +REL Quake
    Interested? let me know

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in that 2011, open a thread in the classifieds forum if you want to sell it...

6. steveTHX

steveTHX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I vote for pioneer, recon its much better than Sony(my opinion), I had a Sony 940 and their power is very poor, but on the other hand I’ve never had a pioneer…so listen to them if you can, and buy the one that sounds better to you…

7. -=Maxed=-

-=Maxed=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i gues ill try and test them...

Might be a BIG NOOB Question but whats the best things to look out for when testing a amp ??

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maxed - you'll immediately hear the differences when switching between the two. Stick with whichever sound you like.

Generally, look at ease of use, frequency balance, distortion at high volumes, and performance at lower volumes. At least they're what I'd look at.

9. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You'll always get anti-Sony votes on this forum, even from people who admit they haven't heard the equipment:eek:

Try them out. Sony make some good products and so do Pioneer. Based purely on my own experience, Sony has better build quality then Pio stuff which can feel a bit cheap.

Keep an open mind. Don't disregard the Sony just because it's trendy to do so.

10. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree RE: The quality of finish on Pioneer products. But I wouldn't say the 'Build' quality is awful.

Definitely don't dismiss the Sony. There've been very good things written about it on this forum.

11. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Well I upgraded from a previously award winning Sony receiver to a Pioneer AX5i and the difference was like a revelation.
    The sound and quality of the Pioneer is in a different class to my old Sony.
    Where the Sony sounded muffled and "warm", the Pioneer sounds very clear and bright and is much clearer, in both stereo and multi-channel playback.

Not sure what the other posters mean about the finish of the Pioneer? My AX5 is as good as or better than any other AV product I have bought.

People are different however so test them both and get the one you like best.

12. kiddi

kiddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my two cents: I have some years of using pio products and love then dearly. my new dvd player is a pio. When choosing an av amp recently I compared the pio 812 and 912 and the sony db790. For the money the Sony was the best choice for me. The 912 was a killer though but a little too expensive for me. I'm really happy with the sony and pleasntly surpriced by it.

the forum is a good place for opinions on products but don't base decisions on what you read here. Audition the products yourself and then make your choice.

Don't dismiss the Sony. Check out HK also...

13. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Pio 656 DVD which I am very fond of although I think it feels a bit tinny, but it's lasting fine so I guess that's cosmetic. I also own a Sony 930 amp for my office which I got to replace a Denon which I thought was way over-rated.

At the end of the day, it's down to you and your ears balanced against the features and value for money. Brogan obviously prefers the Pio which is fair enough but you may not.

My point is that you will get opinions based on personal use which are useful to you but you will also get opinions based on nothing whatsoever.

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    TBH, opinions are like bumholes....everyone's got one :D

As Steve (and others, me included) has already said it really is a matter of personal preference and so you should trial the various amps you're interested in.