1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by B17NNS, May 22, 2005.

1. B17NNS

B17NNS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

New to this forum.

After a lot of saving I am now in the position to buy my first Plasma.

Would like to future proof it (as best I can) so would like Hi Def ready.

Also plan to link it to my DVD player vie HDMI so do I go for a Pioneer PDP-435XDE or a Panasonic TH42PV500.

All help, advice and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Matt

2. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have not seen the pv500 yet but i presume it to be very good, i looked at the pioneer but the sd sky pq is poor, plus the pioneers seem to buzz. both are hdmi

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    If you've narrowed it down to these two, the only sane piece of advice you need is to go and demo, demo, demo. It's your own eyes which will make the final decision - unless there is a key technical requirement that you have, which would separate them (and even then try not to overrule your eyes!).

4. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everybody is telling you to demo with your eyes. That's difficult for a beginner since many shops can't offer you a decent setup and often have too much shop lighting around. If you first off choose a factory dealer you have a chance. They may even have a Euro 1080i HD HDMI decoder and can put on the show reel. Next take along a decent Dvd as the panels will be up converting. Although only graphics, Toy Story 2 will show up noise and colour differences. Then get some test still pics burned on a CD,DvD from your still camera (or take them on the right media card) and have a good look at those since they are an equivalent HD still source. Beware of manufacturers own promotion Dvd's as they will aim to impress and not show flaws. Swapping them around can be interesting.

If you intend to watch a lot of Freeview or Sky, expect the quality to be variable (it's not the panel), but have the panel demo'd with both. The integrated Freeview tuner may be internally digital to the panel and be better than an externally connected Sky box. But test out what you want to look at most and get the longest warranty over 1 year included if you can.