Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer or Panasonic, which one ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by tima27, Nov 8, 2004.

1. tima27

tima27
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, new to the Forum but been lurking a while

I am about to buy a new 42" Plasma and the more I read the more confused I am getting

I'be decided it has to be the PW7 or 435XDE Pioneer, however I can't decide which is best, I'm not worried about the difference in cost but I can't wosk out from all the conflicting info which is the better screen

I love the Pioneer for the multi-media box so all cables (more or less) can go into that and you don't have wires coming out everywhere from the screen, however most of the articles I have read suggest the 434 screen was better

I know Panasonic make great screens but am concerned is isn't as future proof and has no HDMI input on it

If anyone has any experience of both screens or an informed opinion I would love to hear it

thanks in advance

2. bigmac1

bigmac1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The PW7 does have the option of an HDMI board which should be available in the near future but no stock available at the moment (some sort of problem with a ship and a fire so I hear!?). My only query is what the quality of HDMI on the PW7 will be like compared to the Pioneer due to the difference in screen resolutions? Is the Pioneer picture quality going to be better with HDMI as reading other thread's there seems to be some concern over it's quality with Sky signals?

3. tima27

tima27
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now been reading on AV sales that there is another variant from Panasonic that has a higher pixel rate (same as Pioneer 435), it has HD as part of the product code which I assume is short for High Definition

Would it be worth waiting for one of these rather than the PW7, it says they are out mid-November

Also anyone know the difference between the

Pan TH-42PHD7 and TH-42PWD7 ?

4. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The PWD7 is a standard resolution of 853 x 480 and the PHD7 is a high def resolution similar to the pioneer.

to compare apples with apples it should be the PHD vs the Pio 435

5. brianm

brianm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42" model numbers as per AV- Sales seem a little confusing:

TH-42PHD7
    TH-42PHW7
    TH-42PW7B
    TH-42PWD7

What's the difference between the TH-42PHD7, TH-42PHW7 and the
    TH-42PWD7 ?

Maybe these are as a result of a typo?

6. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    silver, black, SD and HD

Alex

7. workshy

workshy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    42PHD7 - Hi-Def display
    42PHW - is a typo no such display PWD or PHD not PHW
    42PW and 42PWD - I think these are the same display with a typo - this is an SD panel

B at the end denotes UK stock, E denotes European

I believe....

8. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Well I have just ordered the PDP435XDE after speading much time doing the rounds looking at all I could find to view. (The set-up and poor source material in many big stores is criminal!)

I think most reviews of the new Pioneer are being a bit too critical, mainly due to the black level being higher than some of the other models out there.
    But from what I found unless you want to live with a VGA panel then go with the Poineer.
    It has by far the best overall picture and with the right source material, looks the most film like with detail in dark areas lost by most other plasma sets I looked at.

It is a very personal choice though, so you must go with your own eyes and not follow the crowd!