1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer or Denon....?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Madders, May 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi Guys,

A quick question really, but just after advice on what the general opinion is on the Pioneer VSA-AX10i-S and the Denon AVC-A1SR for both stereo and movie sound playback.

Which would YOU choose? :)

Cheers,

Steve

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm going for the AX10i

Absolutely brilliant........................even the connections at the back are GOLD Plated and feels and looks much more sturdy than on the denon....especially the binding posts on the Pioneer are HIGH QUALITY !!

You can not go wrong !!! It's and Excelent amp.

Just the Auto calibration feature is worth it !!!

Cheers !

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    having owned a denon avc a1se in the past i am biased, but i think taht the denon edges it, just. denon also have the upgrade path that has been used in the past, not sure what pioneer offer in this sense. its also worth looking at the onkyo 989 which is often overlooked and also you can get a rotel pre/power combo for similar money!

4. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah...but with the rotel... the power amp is just a 5 channel amp...and then you need to get a seperate 2 channel amp on top of that.

I think the denon has a poorer build quility than the pioneer, also best of all pioneer has "ilink" that the denon don't.

But they are both good amps....not much in it...but then i prefer the Pioneer...looks nicer also !

:D

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +845
    Dolby Headphone is quite neat. You should try it.

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Yes I'm biased ... but I have to stand up for the Rotel ... yes you need a 2ch amp as well as the 1075 for 7ch ... but many people don't want 7 channel ... and even the 1066 plus 1075 plus 1080 (900 + 850 + 500) isn't that much more than a AX10i or A1SR and is a great basis for upgrading to a greater processor later if you think you might want to. I won't try to comment on comparitive sound qualities because never heard the AX10 or A1SR.

Vikki

8. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , i have a denon avc-a1se with the upgrade pack fitted and a friend of a friend( who is the manager of my local hi fi /av shop) has the new ax10i and we spent all day monday (11 hours) comparing my amp against his with his kef reference speakers, and he was gutted. My denon knocked lumps out of his pioneer in stereo, he agreed the denon sounded much more detailed and natural with pure direct mode. Movies in dd and dts sounded more assertive and powerful at lower volumes on the denon but when they were both wound up there was not a lot in it.As for the auto calibration system he said he still had to spend 40 mins tweeking to get it sounding decent in his room so surely this defeats the object of having the auto calibration system. Build wise there is nothing to chose between the two of them they are both built like tanks, both have gold connections on the back and both have digital links for dvd-a/sacd. The best way is to demo yourself, go to your local dealer and get them to set up the two amps you are interested in in two diferent demo rooms with the same quality of speakers in each, take a couple of dvds / dvd-a / sacd discs and cds and spend as much time as you can listening,and making comparisons, make the guys in the shop earn there money. Hope this helps and good luck.

9. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    No way the Denon have gold plated binding posts or other connectors !!!

I saw one on saturday..... and i could not see any gold plated binding posts or any other gold plated connections as a matter of fact...unless i'm colour blind

Also ...the denon's binding posts arn't nearly as sturdy as the pioneer's ...in fact they felt flimsy to me !!!

Strange that it's only this guy you are talking about that has problems with the Auto calibration ......99% of other users find it quite accurate and MUCH more accurate than they can EVER tune it....

And then there's the lovely LCD remote.....it's oozing quality compared to the denon's version of a LCD remote !!

But hey........we all have our different opinions huh ??

L8ter

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Fjorko ... to be honest ... gold plated binding posts make absolutely no difference to the sound quality! Anyway ... I've not (recently) seen the back of the A1SE ... but just looked at a sales brochure on .pdf ... and it certainly looks to have gold plated sockets.

As you say ... I think the "we all have our different opinions" nicely sums up which of the two amps is best ...

My recomendation is that you get a test of them both ... along with the Rotel combo <--- sorry had to say that :devil: ... and in the same room otherwise the difference in room accoustics will cloud your judgement.

Vikki

11. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FJorko, i have just looked at the back of my denon and guess what ? Gold sockets. Not 100% sure about the binding posts though. I read a revew in a mag (what hi fi or hi fi chioce i think) and the guy that did the revew also claimed that the auto calibration needed tweeking by hand after setup. Like i said before , go demo them both for yourself and let your ears be the judge not some glossy mag or promo. Have you demod the denon and pioneer ? Ok i admit i am a denon fan but if i thought for one moment that the pioneer sounded better i would stick my denon in the classifieds and buy a new ax10i. Pioneer remote ozzing quality ? Very cheap and tacky compared to the denon. The denon remote is no looker but it is solid and well built. Go to your local dealer and have a good look(at the gold sockets and remotes) and listen to both then pass judgment.

12. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Whatever !:boring:

13. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Many thanks for the opinions guys. I actually have a Denon AVC-A10SE at the moment but am looking to upgrade. I guess the best thing to do is let my ears decide! I was hoping that there was going to be a big difference between the 2 units. Would there be a big difference in going for a pre/ power combo? My only concern about not going this route is that the Pioneer and Denon seem to have better DAC's etc.

What do you think?

Steve

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +845
    In this case I think that's excellent advice.

15. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah , you'll have to go and listen for yourself, you might hate both and decide on something completely different...

Good luck with your choice, i'm sure YOUR choice will be the best one for YOU !

Cheers

P

16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    One other things you need to consider ... especially as you already have a Denon A10SE ... is weather an A1SR or AX10i is actually an improvement in the areas that you're looking for an improvement in. When you go demo, take along your A10SE so you can compare it - especially if you are trying to improve SQ as well as having newer features.

RE DACs, etc ... not quite sure if you are saying DACs in the Rotel are better or worse than those in the Denon and Pioneer? But I can tell you that the musical sound quality from the Rotel is very good ... equal of Rotel's £500 stereo integrated amp ... and from all reports the analogue (bypass) stage is better than the Denon / Pioneer.

3rdly ... consider what you are partnering the amp with ... both the AX10i and A1SR have their own multi-channel digital link ... but basically both are proprietory so will only match with the 757ai and A1 DVDs respectively. Also what speakers are you matching the amps with ... you may find spending money on speakers a more benificial upgrade if you are looking for an increase in sound quality more than features.

Vikki

17. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    It's not as "bad" as it sounds...while i'd struggle to say which amp was better than the other....they do sound, or did when i demoed them, quite different...so a personal favourite will probably emerge relatively quickly.