Pioneer + Onkyo to get Dirac

DLxP

Not sure where to post this, so I've started a thread. This looks very interesting...

If reasonably mainstream brands like these start getting Dirac, it'll be difficult for Audyssey to continue relying on its basic app...

gibbsy

Don't hold your breath. Owners of Pioneer LX500/800 4K players have been waiting almost two years for a firmware upgrade for HDR10+. If Onkyo/Pioneer can't get that right what chance of having a bug free Dirac existence.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Given the fact that Onkyo abandoned Audyssey in order to try reduce their costs, I'm at a loss as to why they've gone the even more costly route associated with licensing DIRAC Live?

It should also be noted that despite DIRAC being very good at what it does, it isn't exactly easy to setup and use. Most people don't want to have to sit in front of a PC analysing curves.

I've a feeling that the lower tier Onkyo models are still going to come equipped with AccuEQ and I don't see how they can make including DIRAC on such models cost effective or affordable?

DLxP

Given the fact that Onkyo abandoned Audyssey in order to try reduce their costs, I'm at a loss as to why they've gone the even more costly route associated with licensing DIRAC Live?

It should also be noted that despite DIRAC being very good at what it does, it isn't exactly easy to setup and use. Most people don't want to have to sit in front of a PC analysing curves.

I've a feeling that the lower tier Onkyo models are still going to come equipped with AccuEQ and I don't see how they can make including DIRAC on such models cost effective or affordable?
Yea, I can't see this being on their lower end models, at least not for a while. I completely agree - most people don't want to faff about with curves.

Maybe we'll see a new Pioneer Elite with Dirac... that could be nice.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I am more surprised that so far AVF haven't published the news yet
As far as I can tell, the the information isn't actually eminating from Onkyo and Onkyo themselves haven't made any official announcement relating to this. Besides this, Onkyo kind of fell out with AVForums, hance why you seldom get press releases or Onkyo/Ptoneer models submitted to AVF for reviews.

DLxP

As far as I can tell, the the information isn't actually eminating from Onkyo and Onkyo themselves haven't made any official announcement relating to this. Besides this, Onkyo kind of fell out with AVForums, hance why you seldom get press releases or Onkyo/Ptoneer models submitted to AVF for reviews.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. How come?

rccarguy

Be great aves support all room correction systems, you can have a demo of each one, or trial period, then you settle for one a d pay to unlock full license, and the other room correction systems are deleted from the firmware.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Be great aves support all room correction systems, you can have a demo of each one, or trial period, then you settle for one a d pay to unlock full license, and the other room correction systems are deleted from the firmware.
Again, you are making the setup more complex and such a setup is definately then going to require you use a PC. Adding the processing required into an AV receiver isn't going to be cost effective and isn't simply a matter of licensing.

DIRAC is great at what it does, but is complex to setup and requires you use a PC.

If you want the ultimate easy to setup system then you'd be wanting Lyngdorf's RoomPrefect, but I doubt we'll ever see this on third party AV processors or AV receivers? RoomPerfect is as easy as Audyssey to setup, but regarded by many as being superior to DIRAC.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom