1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer NSDV99 v Panasonic SCHT900

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Moleboy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Moleboy

Moleboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the world of home cinema but i've found £350 - 400 lying around the house and am pretty intent on spending it on an all in one system, but which one?

i'm debating between the Pioneer NSDV99 from Richer Sounds at £299 and the Panasonic SCHT900 at Comet for £350, but can't really decide which is better, plus the stores in my area don't do demos. what would ppl recommend out of those two, or do u think it would be worth the extra money for the Panasonic scht870?

hope someone can help!

thanx :)

2. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had a dv99 for six months and it is great.

as for buying in richer sounds or comet.

i originally bought a jvc system from richers but it had a noisey fan so i took it back after two weeks and got my money back (including all the leads)

on the flip side

i bought my dad a vcr from comet and he couldnt see the display cause it was lcd rather than led (strange jvc). so the next day it went back, the manager of comet refused the refund or a swap and promptly pointed to a sign saying no returns unless faulty, he eventually charged us £10 because he couldnt resell it as new.

so nut the pioneer from richer and be safe in mind, and definately avoid comet.

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    The 99 is great apart from the speaker grill fault which you can read about in other threads. The adjustments available are excellent and you should be able to tailor it to suit your listening style. It also plays Sacd as well as DVD-audio.

4. Moleboy

Moleboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm worried that the Pioneer won't be powerful enough at 450w compared to the Panasonic. Also, i know bigger isn't necessarily better, but the Panasonic speakers look alot bigger and more powerful, plus there's the benefit of the multi disc changer. i know that an all in one will never be as good as a seperates music system, but which of the two do ppl think would deliver better music performance?

any more opinions? both systems seem to be pretty popular at the moment, plus there's also the panasonic scdt310 going cheap at £350 at the moment, but that seems lower spec than both the others.

i'm just worried that i opt for the wrong one and end up kicking myself a year down the line! thanks for the help guys, any more opinions or comments?

5. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    the panansonic scht870 is the new version of the 900
    1000 wats (750 rms ithink) i have one sounds realy nice only down side no digtal inputs apart from that its very smart i paid 400 from john lewis about 2 months ago :thumbsup:

6. bozzie555

bozzie555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Pioneer from PRC Direct for £250.

I'm considering getting one myself!!

7. Moleboy

Moleboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's so bad about the scht870 having no digital inputs? are there alot of things that would noticibly benefit from using digital inputs? still cant decide between the panny and pioneer!

8. jayok

jayok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you order on the internet, the distance selling regulations will apply.

9. jayok

jayok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the SCHT900 and I am very happy with it. I was impressed with how it played CDs and MP3s. I have not heard the Pioneer so cannot compare.

10. Mr B

Mr B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Moleboy,

I bought Panasonic SCHT900 a couple of months ago from Krish AV (they had a deal for it at £299 and I have just checked and the deal is still around - www.krishav.co.uk).............. Some people say the menu is complicated and not easy to navigate.....Do not listen to that

The system is amazing.......plenty of functions ....... optical digital input as well (and to answer your question about digital input....YES YOU NEED IT for the future as the transfer of sound by using optical digital is just unbelievable - no loss and no interference issues)......... great picture...... very good sound......... even watching NTL broadcasts you have a function of Virtual Surround and tons of further tweakings to re-create Dolby Digital (as you know by now, or will learn........... digital broadcasts do not emitt Dolby Digital signals, so broadcast is not surround......only stereo, so the function Panasonic has is absolutely useful....it really reproduces cinema effect just from watching digital telly, not to mention the sound options when you watch DVDs)...................

The only thing for me is (and this is completely personal) - I like the looks of the new speakers on the new systems better - but that is purely esthetical as some reviews actually do not praise them (speakers on SCHT870 system) and favour SCHT900.........

DVD player is progressive scan and video options are numerous as well as sound options........................

I believe you could be extremely satisfied with this option