Pioneer NSDV 1000 problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Derby, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Derby

Derby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again all,

Set up the above system yesterday and I have to say it looks worth every penny of the £700 quid i paid for it and it sounds impressive as well,

HOWEVER,

Can't get the remote control to work ,

All set up as per instructions and all leads connected . Batteries in remote tested in another piece of kit and work fine but no matter how I try I can't get remote to work the system.

DVD's and music play fine from buttons on main DVD unit but i cannot carry out any set up or advanced functions at all.

I wonder whether I have forgotten something

Any Pioneer techies out there.

The other thing that is strange is that i tried to get my "All in One" learning remote to work instead to prove it was the remote control but that doesn't work either,

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated ,

Derby

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    It looks similar to mine are you using the sub (not woofer) menu thats a wee switch under the flap. Bottom l/hand corner . It is a minor niggle to keep switching

3. Boaky

Boaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Derby - where did you get hold of it for £700 ? I'm looking for one and the best I've senn is £829 from PRC Direct - admittedly multiregion.

4. Derby

Derby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer the easy question first , try Kelkoo .
    I actually paid £688 for it through Atlantic Electrics. It was on "special " reduced from £733. I notice they have now put it back to the original price but still a bargain.

I made a slight boo boo in that i presumed it would be multi region and it is not . Does anyone know anywhere in Surrey where I can get it done?

Jaymac ,

I tried a couple of switches/buttons with Atlantic Tecchie on the phone which didn't work so now it has now been sent back and a new one ordered so all on hold till about Friday when new one arrives (hopefully)

5. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Cheers Derby hope its sorted then If not ask away. Meanwhile I,ll have a look at your units manual just in case.
    Jaymac

6. Boaky

Boaky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Derby - Sorry to hijack the post. Are you able to wall mount the speakers on the NSDV1000 ?

Thanks.

7. Derby

Derby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes You can .

I also like the fact that they can be used either way up.

So if it suits they have a Walnut finish on one end or a slate grey finish on the other.

There are also threaded mounts for stands

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Alphason 100's for the fronts , the glass bases look really nice and they are spiked as well for carpets.

8. Derby

Derby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To update this post .

I had a phone call from Atlantic Electronics this afternoon to say they had posted me a replacement remote which should be with me tomorrow.

Now whilst i'm a bit peeved that it was non functional in the first place, it is hardly there fault and considering I only rang them on Tuesday, they have ordered a new one and posted it out in two days which I think is very good service so providing it arrives i would reccomend them to anyone and they sell the "1000" cheapest on the net.

9. Derby

Derby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Well the remote turned up as per :

So i thought to finish this post I would write down my initial thoughts and experience with this system in case anyone was thinking of buying one.

It comes in three boxes with a thick manual which is very clear and concise. The main unit has only very basic controls for play/pause/stop and ejection of CD. There is an additional button which operates a sliding plate which covers all the controls when not in use.

All controls are replicated on the heavy remote control which also houses all the set up buttons under a sliding cover.

It only has one scart socket (RGB) and is not progressive scan so options are slightly limited but I daisy chained the unit to my SKY+ and onto a Scart on my TV and all seems well.

No connectors are supplied with the system so I plugged in a cheap scart lead just to get going. Two days later I bought an IXOS scart and a Digital TOSLINK cable and WOW what a transformation.

Picture and sound quality from both DVD and SKY+ rose remakably even on my humble Panasonic CRT. The next move is to buy an LCD which should improve things even further.

Surrouns speakers, both front and back are the same size and look very classy. They are also very heavy. Fronts are on stands either side of the TV and rears are wall mounted and angled in. Initially I could hear very little coming from them but by upping certain settings on them they actually sound much better than I thought they would.

I had great fun with my "Speed" DVD, the intial action in the lifts sounded thunderous and the scene later where the coach exploded sent the cat scurrying from the settee.

The subwoofer did sound a little OTT but an adjustment of the LFE channel brought that into line.

This also helped with music which did intitially sound a little overblown in the bass department. My "Who at the Albert Hall" DVD sounds really genuine now and you feel like you're in the crowd with great use being made of the rear speakers for atmospherics.

Most of this week has been spent going though my collection of war films and great fun has been had by all including the neighbours who now doesn't like his own Sony system anymore and wishes he hadn't come in to listen !!!

Things that are good :
    Great Sound and visuals; Good hi fi replacement after careful setting up.
    Good looks

Things that are not so good :Remote was broken on receipt of system (see earlier posts)
    Limited connectivity
    NO progressive scan.

Would I buy it again ? yes, especially at the price I paid, (se earlier posts) lack of progressive scan may put some people off but The picture quality especially on a CRT looks stunning

10. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Glad you are happy Derby does the 1000 also do sacd and dvd -audio if so you have more treats in store
    Jaymac

11. Derby

Derby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does both yes.

I have bought DSOTM - Pink floyd on SACd - should be good !!!

Derby