1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer NS-DV990 System

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dunky, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any of you lucky guys and gals got this system currently sitting in your home? If so, how's it performing? I'd like to find a dealer that stocks this so that i can see it first hand but no luck as yet! I'd appreciate any feedback.

2. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yup,

Have had this little puppy installed for over a month now..
    Have been listening to H/Cinema since 91, first amp was a Yammy DSP A500 and since then I have been looking for home cinema nirvana.. I have had a plethora of kit over the years but nothing gave me the pucnh I was looking for.. that was untill this little beauty arrived.. it is a pain to set up, took nearly 2-3 hours to set up, but boy was it worth it.. DD and DTS are solid, and is what you would expect.. however the real suprise for me was the pro-logic setting. its the best I have heard in a long long time and has given new life to my video.. Im not convinced by DPLII so the jury is still out on that one.. there are other DSP settings, but I havent botherd with them as good old DPL does it for me.. DVDA and SACD really work, listend to Dark Side of The Moon (SACD ) and some weird DVDA disk, Sound placement from both are solid and completly fill my sitting room. Speakers are wonderful, NXT flatties that produce a warm and room filling sound, even in stero. Could go on for days, buit in a nut shell, this little beauty is destined to become a classic and reference material, the build and sound are top draw.. 10/10. One very happy owner!

3. Dunky

Dunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanley

Thanks for the reply. I'd just about given up on getting any feedback! Must say that you make this system sound great and I think it will fit the bill nicely as far as I am concerned. My only slight worry is about placement of the speakers. Due to the layout of my sitting (bloody fireplaces!) and the fact that my wife and i are expecting our first child in April, I think it would be wise to wall mount the speakers rather than use the supplied stands. The pioneer website suggests that this is possible but is a bit vague as to whether you will need additional fixings or not. Any thoughts on this? Only other question is where you got your system from?

Cheers.

Duncan

4. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You wont have any probs wall mounting the speakers, there is no need for fixing kit.. I got my system from techtronics.com who also converted it to multi region.. Got it for £540 all in.. however I have noticed they have increased in price.. cant recomend them enough.. they were very very helpful and system arrived within the week.. as I said in previous post, I am very fussy when it comes to audio..and could never really get the sound I wanted, but this little fella does the job.. Even in stero mode it fills the room.. go on u wont be dissapointed.. oh and it looks cool too.. all I need know is a sky+ box and I will be happy.. as the 990 has an optical in.. so bring on sky movies in DD..

cheers
    Tony

5. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also interested in this system, as 2. system for our bedroom. What I couldn't find out, even after reading the downloaded manual: Does the display show information from ID3-tags (MP3) and track and artist info from SACD? The price from Techtronics is really good, I have to find out what shipping costs outside the UK are...

6. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanley (or anybody else with this system......),
    I currently have the Pioneer NS DV88, and I'm pondering an upgrade to this, and have a couple of questions.
    There looks to be only 1 optical digital input - do you find this at all restrictive ? I'd probably only be hooking it up to SKY+ initially, but it doesn't leave many options for the future......
    Also, how high are the speakers including the stands ? They look massive in the pictures !
    As I said, I am seriously considering this system - from what Thanley has said, and the review in this months What Video and Widescreen TV, it sounds amazing.....

7. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ok first question first..

Yes it does diplay ID3 tags.. however not on the display panel well not that I have tried.. and it also displays SACD and DVDA info, again not on the display panel.. only on TV screen..

As for only one optical in.. I dont think thats going to be a prob.. as I dont intend to hook up another DVD player it.. only SKY+ box so for me its not restricitive..

Speakers stand about 5ft off the floor.. and are very stable..
    Again, I can not recomend this puppy enough.. anyone who has watched / listened to it have been very very impressed.. and remember I have been showing off kit for years but this beauty is the only one that has had mates begging for more.. **** one has even gone an got Tubular bells SACD just to come round and listen.. what more recomendations can I give :) Im love with a pice of machine.. just dont tell the wife !