1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer not panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FaxFan2002, Jun 20, 2005.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    All,

I have been waiting for the 42pv500 to come into stock - more specifically the wall brackets. They seems to be a problem with the supply of the wall brackets. The dealer has offered me the pioneer 43 thingy for 2500 inc. wall bracket instead.

From reviews etc. these two screens are pretty much on a par? Also the other thing that bothers me is that I use a denon 3803 with component switching - i notice a seperate connector goes to the pioneer with the switching and extra connection cause an issue? Am i better plugging everything into the pioneer media centre thus bypassing an extra switch / conversion stage?

Views on a postcard... tar.

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Also is the pioneer hdcp compatable - i've been offered the 435xde by the way.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    my, my I thought they'd be lots of views on this!!

4. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm pretty sure the 435XDE is hdcp compatible. It is rated as one of the top 3 plasma's at the moment along with the panasonic and the hitachi.

I'm sure you will be more than happy with any of these, but the forum does seem to love the panasonic at the moment.

Go and get a Pioneer demo before you commit such a large amount of money though.

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I have seen a pioneer demo a few months ago, it's the panasonic I haven't seen - but I'm sure the panasonic will be great given the feedback on this site.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've got a lot of stuff, fanfax. I presume you are letting the 3803 upconvert a few s-video and composite sources to component? The 2 screens are almost identical in connectivity. You can probably do a similar setup to your current version, but optimising say, sky+ and some other RGB sources (DVDR, PS2)by using a scart switch for them to an RGB scart, and maybe using a hi def kit for the x-box, and connecting that via the amp, along with the DVD and any composite only sources, like PS1. and gamecube unless it's modded. that way you maximise your top quality inputs, clearly you need as many as possible. I don't think it affects your choice of screen though, as I say, both very similar. I think the Panasonic edges the Pio cos it doesn't share any ports, but that's menu switchable, so merely inconvenient rather than a show stopper. If you like your current screen, the Panny probably has a better picture for you, but if you are wall mounting, the sheer number of dangling cables might tip you to the Pioneer.

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I basically use the 3803 to upconvert most sources thus providing a single component lead into the plasma. I would intended to do the same with the pioneer media centre - single component connection from 3803. Apart from a HDMI feed for a suitable DVD player (868?).

I think what is concerning me is the pioneer's ability with sky - all the reviews I've read said it struggles to make it as a normal TV i.e. low quality sources. However I do upconvert sky to component before it hits the AMP, where it gets switched - would this negate the pio's lack of ability with low quality sources? I've also got to bear in mind that sky will be going hidef soon....

To be honest, I'm not blown away with my current screen.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You've got a load of stuff connected at well below optimum then, and the Pio will throw this into sharp relief. In fact very likely it's why you are not 'blown away' by your current setup. Upconversion does nothing for signal quality, it's just for convenience. Great amp, not the denon's fault. You'd want the DVD and sky with a JS converter to make the most of your current setup, but that leaves the consoles out on a limb. More thought needed there, mate.

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'm not overly fussed about the consoles - I've invested in a LCD TV in another room for them.

I guess the question is - can I get enough quality out the sky connection to make the pio's so called short comings good? Would a RGB SCART -> Component conversion cover this and look good on the pio (I assume a lot of reviews were just sticking scarts in)? I can play round with the component switching on the amp and either leave that in or take it out as per preference.

I am going to get a HDMI dvd player - I am more than happy with the performance of that as I've seen the demo.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That sounds like a plan! Gives you a spare component input on the amp too, so you can think of something to use that for. DVDR? One of the consoles? Sky+ to DVDR could be s-video, I take it it's just for the odd backup issue.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    fanfax be careful of jumping from panny ownership to pioneer, people tend to sit on one side or the other, why not wait for the PHD8 yopu really dont need a telly do you?