Pioneer n50 tidal airplay problems

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by jochem1975, Jun 21, 2015.

1. jochem1975

jochem1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have problems with the Pioneer N50 when i use airplay via the Tidal app on the iphone.
    i always have to restart(switching the N50 on/off) the N50.Then it is working for a while but when i switch it to the network and back to the Tidal app i am not able to connect via airplay(the icon is not showing up)
    I have moved to another appartment.
    Before this was working perfect.
    There is a small change in the setup i have the N50 connected to internet via the electricity network with a netgear powerline 500.
    Connecting with my Nas is working correctly.

Thanks,

Jochem

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Hi Jochem,

Since you didn't have an issue with Airplay before using the Netgear Powerline 500 network adapters, I'm guessing that they are the reason for the problem. It's likely that they are not forwarding IGMP multicast data properly. These are the packets used by the Apple Bonjour protocol that Airplay supporting devices use to discover each other on the network.

This is a known problem with some powerline network adapters, especially older models from some makes. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed in your powerline adapters, if you hadn't done so already, as Netgear might have come up with a fix. It's also possible that there is a configuration setting you can select for IGMP multicast if the adapters come with the ability of being configured.

Otherwise, you'll unfortunately likely need to use different powerline adapters or use another method to connect to your network.

John

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  3. jochem1975

jochem1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply,

The strange thing is that if i use airplay on the tv it is working fine.
    I will update the firmware for the netgear tonight.

Thanks,

Jochem

4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    What are you using for Airplay on the tv?
    Is it also connected to the network via the same network adapters and are you using the iPhone as the Airplay source?

5. jochem1975

jochem1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is connected to the same network adapters.
    I am using netflix on the ipad or iphone.

6. jochem1975

jochem1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did the firmware update but does not make a difference.
    I believe it has something to do with the Pioneer n50 because the same occurs with the Tidal app via airplay as with spotify.

7. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Are you certain you are using Airplay directly with the tv? I'm no video expert, but I don't know of any tv that supports Airplay directly. The normal way for video Airplay to a tv is indirectly via an Apple TV device.

If you are not using an Apple TV attached to your tv, then I don't think the Netflix app on your iOS devices are using Airplay with your tv. Instead they are probably using sync with the tv's own built-in Netflix support. This of course still uses the network with the Netgear powerline adapters, but not using Airplay and therefore not sending IGMP data packets that I suspect the Netgear adapters are having a problem with.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    As far as I can see so far, all you've got to use as an Airplay receiver is the Pioneer N-50, so changing the source app on the iOS device that you are using Airplay with won't make any difference.

If you haven't got another Airplay receiver can you borrow one to test with to use instead of the N-50? That would certainly show if you should really suspect the N-50 or not.

9. jochem1975

jochem1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry i forgot to mention I am using airplay via google chromecast on the tv.
    The thing is when i restart the n50 it works but after a while it is gone.
    I also did a reset on the n50 but still the same issue. I can borrow a apple tv to try.

Thanks!!!

10. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Hmmm. I have a similar issue with my Yamaha CDN301, which is connected via TPLink powerline adapters. If I switch the Yamaha on first and set it to network mode and then boot my Mac, then Airplay playback is usually fine. Do it the other way round and the CDN301 shows Airplay playback but I get no sound. The lack of IGMP forwarding might be the issue. There is later firmware for the TPlink units but it looks like a right faff to try and update it. I might give other poweline adapters a try, or run a 15m ethernet cable direct .....

Clem