1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE1 with HDPC HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrplow101, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mrplow101

mrplow101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just bitten the bullet and purchased my first proper home AV system. I've gone for a Pioneer 43MXE1, a Lumagen HDP, a Pioneer 575a, a Yammaha RXV650, and a set of Canton CD1's (from Germany). I'm waiting for it all to be delivered, and I'm dead excited.

My main source is Sky+, and I wanted to ensure that my system could look as good as i could afford to make it for current broadcasts. However one of the things i wanted to ensure was future Sky HD compatability. I know the MXE1 as it stands doesnt support HDCP, however, there is a card available for the pioneer that does have 2 HDMI inputs that are HDCP compatible. The Aurora TVP-500F.

Now, this card is made for the US market, and hence has an NTSC tuner. A European (PAL/SECAM) version is hopefully on its way, but there are doubts that it will arrive. So my question is this.....

It the PAL version doesn't show, can i use the US version in my MXE1. I'm not bothered about the tuner or lack of teletext, I only want the HDCP enable HDMI inputs.

Ive seen the US version available for $789 here
    http://www.brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml?id=266&step=2

and with the current US/UK exchange rate this seems very affordable, even if i have to pay import duty.

I'd love to hear peoples opinion. As I said, I'm new to this, and may be missing somthing important (like the US Pioneers have a different interface to the blades).

BTW. This place sells the 43MXE1 for £2055 inc VAT, and is quite a bit cheaper than I've seen it elsewhere.

http://www.lowcost-computers.co.uk/index.php/cPath/157?osCsid=ae2a7c424ce5bf7377838ba20a75837e

hope this is usefull to someone.

cheers
    Dave

2. cibulnz

cibulnz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Dave

Congrats on the purchase.

I think your setup may be another possible option I look to go for (refer previous post "Which Plasma / Scaler help reqd " , so I would be particulary interested if you can update us on the picture quality of the MXE1 with this particular scaler for Sky+
    Any chance once it is hooked up you can compare it with and without the scaler, as I would like to hear your thoughts on the increase in quality due to a scaler like the lumagen.

Thanks for the link to the MXE1, that does seem a great price.

Be interested to hear the forums thoughts on this US card compatability, as I plan to head to the states in June, and would pick one up if this option is feasable and chosen by me.

Curiously, with the lumagen and this sort of setup do you plan to have someone come in after a period of time and callibrate your screen?
    I just worry whether as a new plasma owner I wont realize that I am not meeting the full potential without the help of a trained technician.

3. mrplow101

mrplow101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I'm going to give the panel a couple of hundred hrs, then call in the experts for an ISF calibration.

I dont think I will have a method of connecting Sky to the panel without the Lumagen, as i've not purchased any input boards for the MXE1. I'm planning on using DVI from the scaler to the panel.

Didnt want to get an input blade if i can get a TVP-500F.

cheers
    Dave

4. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've been waiting for this Aurora card for many months and they keep postponing it. Out of sheer desperation I have now decided to go for the 505XDE rather than the MXE1.

I would be highly surprised if that shop actually had any in stock as the Aurora website www.auroramultimedia.com still says "Coming Soon". Every three months they then update the release quarter, now it's Q1 2005.

In any case, once the card is out you should be fine as it has HDMI, which is by definition HDCP compliant and it accepts all signals that the panel accepts. As the MXE1 accepts 720p and 1080i @50Hz you won't have any problems with Euro HDTV. Regarding the tuner, if you care about it as you seem to have a sky box anyway, it says there is a PAL/NTSC version available. The RDS radio tuner won't work as the US has a different system, but who cares.

Please let everyone know if these guys really have the card as I might change my mind last minute and go for the 50MXE1

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Dave,

You could still connect Sky to the VGA input using an RGB-VGA converter such as those from JS Tech. I believe the TVP-500F card should be out next month - here's hoping. :)

Just found it here even cheaper, and from a well-respected dealer too!

http://www.plasmaextreme.us/amec.htm#tvp500

Steve

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sigh. The 500F has been put back another 2 months then ("end of feb, early march") according to the aurora forums. Will it ever see the light of day?

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I thought I read somewhere that they are still awaiting accreditation for the HDMI/HDCP compliancy which they need before they can start selling the cards.

Cheers, Lee

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's the latest in the aurora forum, yes.

9. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can you not use the A304-HDCP and 4th gen adapter kit and get DVI-HDCP/RGB/YPbPr/S-Video / High Res Analog / Dual Composite Video for $500 as a temp solution.