1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE1 DVI resolutions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mantorok, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently bought a DVD player that can output DVI (Momitsu V880N) I was keen to hook it up to my Pioneer 43MXE1 (with PDA-5003). However to my surprise the MXE1's DVI input (INPUT2) doesn't seem to support that many resolutions according to the operation instructions.

However, by accident I found that it supports 1280x720 (720p) @ 60Hz which I couldn't find documented. Ideally I'd like to use resolutions @ 50Hz as I find PAL DVDs played at 60Hz look a bit strange when the pitcure pans left or right.

Does anyone know if the MXE1's DVI input is capable of any of the following resolutions:

768x576 (576p) @ 50Hz
    1280x720 (720p) @ 50Hz
    1024x768 @ 50Hz
    1920x1080 (1080i) @ 50Hz

Thanks...

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Mantorok

In the Service Menu put your Display into FRC Mode 2 and change the signal type to Video not PC - you'll find you have more compatibility at 50Hz than it says on the tin.

Best regards

Joe

3. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe,

I'll try that out tonight. Any ideas what resolutions are supported on the DVI at 50Hz with those settings? Are they documented somewhere on the net?

Also, do you know if it will solve my overscan problem mentioned in this thread

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No such documentation as to exactly what the MXE1 will accept. I would assume your best bet is going to be 1024 x 768, but I would also experiment with other settings since there may be some cases where the processing in the plasma is actually better than the processor in the Momitsu!

In the integrator menu on the Pioneer when you are setting FRC to mode 2 you also get H and V size adjustment for a simple way of overscanning the picture!

5. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set the FRC to mode 2 ok but I can't find an option labelled "Signal Type" in the service menu. I did find an option labelled "Signal Format" in the normal menu but it only gives me the options of XGA, WXGA and PC-Auto. Is this what you meant Joe?

I also configured the Momitsu V880N to output 1024x768 @ 50Hz and that seems to have fixed the picture judder when it pans left or right on PAL DVDs.

Liam, thanks for the overscan hint...I'll give that a go tonight and report back.

6. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone that's interested I played around with the Vertical position and size options and managed to "hide" the bits of video junk at the top and bottom of the screen that appear on some DVDs.

Thanks again for the tips Liam & Joe. Very much appreciated. :smashin:

I am now one happy camper! :D

7. seymour

seymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 50MXE1 and am about to set up a Momitsu - anyone have any experience with this combination? Would the settings be different from the 43MXE1?

cheers from downunder

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  9. seymour

seymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: