1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE1 calibration with DVE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mantorok, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Last Wednesday I became the proud owner of a PDP-43MXE1 thanks largely to the favourable comments in this forum. I'm pretty happy with it overall but I'm having trouble calibrating it with Digital Video Essentials (PAL edition).

The main problem is with setting the Black Level (Brightness) using the test pattern supplied on the DVD. Its the one with a grey scale in the centre of the screen and 3 vertical stripes on either side representing levels of black below and above "video black" (or something like that)

Anyway, I can just bearly make out the centre vertical strip, the other 2 are not visible. This makes it rather hard to following the instructions on the DVD to set the brightness control.

I don't believe its the DVD player's fault as I've successfully used the same player to calibrate my old Sony CRT with great results. The only difference this time is that I'm using component cables (Tara Labs 203V) instead of S-Video

Can anyone help me out here? I'd like to know what other MXE1 owners have set their picture controls to (ie. Contrast, Brightess, Colour etc) .

Thanks

2. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has no MXE1 owner calibrated their display?

Even if you haven't please let me know what your picture settings are.

Also, what are all those other settings for such as DNR, MPEG NR and CTI. The manual doesn't explain what they are at all.

Any advise for optimising the picture quality would be useful.

TIA...

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Well I know of at least three other instances of this so I guess there is an issue with the Pioneer input board. I'd speak to your supplier and get them to fix it.

Gordon

4. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon,

Can you please confirm that the MXE1 should be able to display the "4% below video black" strip on the DVE black level test pattern?

Another odd thing I found with this display is that it already had over 500 hours on the clock before I took possession of it. Pioneer don't "run them in" do they?

Cheers.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    When you use the VGA or DVI inputs with an external scaler you can see all the black detail. When you use the input terminal board you can't. They might say it's supposed to be like that but I'd suggest that it is a broken design if that's the case.

I have no idea if they burn them in. My old MXE had about 5hrs on it I think when I got it.

Gordon

6. stewwy

stewwy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

DNR == Dynamic Noise Reduction

MPEG NR == MPEG Noise Reduction ( ie Noise reduction when showing MPEG files I think)

not a clue on the last sorry !

try them on and off and see which is best

good source, good connects == best off

either bad == they may improve picture but if you've audio lag they'll make it worse ( more processing )

stewwy

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I'll post my settings at some point - won't be entirely useful, as mine are via Lumagen, but will give you an idea of what to look at.

As Gordon's said re the input board vs DVI input.

Not sure why your unit had 500 hours, mine had 1 (which was while Joe was setting it up).

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Dare we ask where this unit came from? 500 hours sounds a lot. Was the video board installed? Was the screen 'shrink wrapped' and was there any evidence of paint scratching on the back, ie could someone have previously fitted a wall bracket? This smells iffy. A good explanation is needed for 500 hours. No manufacturers run in their screens for you, on 1st turn on, you would expect to see 2 turn ons and 10 minutes, unless Joe or other kind dealer has installed the card for you, and pre set the right menu otions for your setup.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Slightly off forum, but related.

I can't see the 4% below black with my combination - Meridian G98 (at black level of both 0 and 7.5 IRE) and Loewe Xelos 32 SL LCD using HDMI->DVI-D. Its there when using component, just not visible when using digital input. Is this a problem or would you not expect to see 4% below when the screen is properly calibrated. Unfortunately I am not sure whether the Loewe is using DVI-PC or DVI-Video levels - if anyone knows, please let me know.

I understand that the Meridian is using DVI-video levels so could this explain the lack of 4% below if the Loewe was expecting DVI-PC levels?

Thanks

Ian

10. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's far from new - if you paid for a new one then demand a new replacement; I certainly would.

11. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    When a system is properly calibrated, you shouldn't see anything below std black, but by slightly increasing the brightness, you should see below std black (that's the way to tell you've calibrated to the right point).

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks Triggaaar

Thats what I had concluded but couldn't get it confirmed. Not sure if it was, as Joe Kane explains, a 'design fault' that would prevent proper calibration. Interesting to know if this is common to all DVI-Video/HDMI level inputs. It would make sense if it was due to the DVI-video range being 16..235 rather than 0..255 for DVI-PC level. I just need to find out whether my Xelos expects PC or Video levels.

-Ian