1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE1 and new Denon DVD player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Mantorok, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer MXE1 with PDA-5003 card and was thinking of buying one of the new Denon DVD players (ie 2910 or 3910). These new players are capable of upscaling to 720p and 1080i but only via DVI or HDMI (as I understand it).

I was hoping to plug it into the DVI-D input of the MXE1. Is this possible? Does this input support the same signals as the RBG/Component input? (ie. 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p & 1080i/p)

I read the manual but it doesn't really say what signals (if any) the DVI-D input accepts other than computer resolutions.

TIA...

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You can plug it in, but you won't get any benefit of the upscaling because the DVI-D input on the MXE-1 doesn't support HDCP.

The Denon does support HDCP and therefore encrypts the upscaled image. Your display will just show this as white snow :(

You would need something such as the (as yet unreleased) Aurora 500F card if you want HDCP-capable decoding :(

3. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not too sure how HDCP works. I thought it only came into play when the source DVD was encrypted for HDCP. I didn't realise the upscaling process adds the encryption on.

So are 576p and 480p encrypted with HDCP too? I'm guessing they aren't as they aren't considered "High Definition" (Although here in Australia they are :zonked: ). It would be better than nothing if I could at least get these to work with the MXE-1's DVI-D input for the time being...

Cheers...

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    As I understand it, and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong, if the DVD is flagged with copyright flags, then HDCP is switched on... but only on certain outputs (HDMI, DVI) at certain resolutions (? - 480p, 720p and above?)

If you don't opt for the Aurora card (assuming it is released) then you could select something like one of the cheaper DVI upscaling DVD players that let you disable HDCP (or don't have it in the first place).

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Mantorok,

As Mr Wilby says, to input DVI-HDCP or HDMI into the 43MXE1, you would need one of Aurora's A303-HDCP, A304-HDCP or upcoming TVP-500F cards. Alternatively, you might want to consider an upscaling player such as the Momitsu V880 which can output from DVI (HDCP disabled), VGA and component. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Those earlier Aurora cards would work, but don't forget that they actually convert the digital signal back to analog internally... so you don't have a fully digital pathway.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    That's correct, and certainly not ideal, but for us 433MXE owners it the only current solution to any future HDCP encryption.

Steve