1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE1 and Aurora TVP-500F card

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mantorok, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering purchasing a Pioneer 43" MXE1 and want to know whether to get the Aurora TVP-500F card or not. I'll be using the plasma mainly for SD and HD digital TV, DVDs and Nintendo GameCube. I'm still pretty new to the world of plasma.

Has anyone out there used this card? (Is it available yet?) I'm quite interested in it but would like to know more about it and how it performs. I've read the info here but would also like to know:

1. How good are the 2 HDMI inputs? Are they just min spec'ed like the Pioneer one on the HDE/HDG but with HDCP?

2. Does the card have its own internal scaler? If so is it any good?

3. Generally how good is the picture quality compared with the PDA-5003/4?

4. Does it limit my options if I want to get an external video processor in the future? Note that in the short term I don't want to get one.

Any other info people have would be useful

Thanks

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Very good questions. Joe @ TMF is looking into getting the specs for the European model for me at the moment. Hopefully he will step in here when there is some news.

As it stands, I'm holding off buying a 50" MXE-1 for the same reasons as you (I want the HDCP-aware HDMI inputs :).

As far as I can tell, its not yet released.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

A quick 'Aurora Multimedia' update for now.

The NEW TVP-500F plus EXP4 Expansion slot adapter will be available in Europe from the end of Oct 04.

The card has been tested for use with all major broadcasters in Europe - inc support for Teletext.

I've still to get confirmation from Aurora and or Pioneer UK as to the 'Expansion Solutions' accreditation - which I believe will be crucial to ensure installing the card has no detrimental affect on the Pioneer Plasma warranty.

The TVP-500F has Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing and 2:2 and 2:3 pull down Film reconstruction but is not a scaler as such - it uses the displays processor to scale the image.

I've not seen a signal compatibility chart as yet so cant say what signals the HDCP enabled HDMI Inputs will accept - I'm guessing it will be 480i, 480P, 576i, 576P, 720P and 1080i; I'll try and have this confirmed.

There are no cards available to deals in the UK as yet so we'll all have to be patient a little while longer before we can actually try out a TVP-500F in our MXE1's.

The pricing has now been set and a TVP-500F + EXP4 adapter has a UK SRP of £786 ex vat and shipping - so an MXE1/TVP-500F is going to be about £550 (ex vat) more than an MXE1 with Pioneer's own card.

Best regards

Joe

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Joe, that's some good information. Especially interested in the input signals so if you do have any joy extracting that info, that would be great.

5. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Joe. Much appreciated.

I have one question though: I thought the TVP-500F was built for the MXE1 so didn't need the EXP4 adapter kit. Does the TVP-500F card still need the EXP4 adapter?

If you get any more info on this card please let us all know.

Thanks again...

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Mantorok

I'm guessing the boys at Aurora have an awful lot of 3G (pre 2004 MXE) size cards in the parts bin; as its this size card the TVP-500F is built on.

The TVP-500F is built for the 4G Chassis (MXE1) which has a longer expansion slot than the 3G Chassis (MXE) so the TVP-500F requires the EXP4 adapter to enable it to sit in the 4G chassis.

The TVP-500F WONT work in a 3G (MXE) chassis - even though it fits nicely in the expansion slot.

Best regards

Joe

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Joe,

Now I really am confused. Looking at the Aurora website, they call it the TVF-500F the 4G plasma card and looking at the picture of it, it looks quite a bit wider than the A303 or A304 3G cards. In addition, when you look-up EXP-4, it shows it being required for use with the A304, TVP-1000Pro and the ASR-44 with no mention of the TVP-500F.

Steve :confused:

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Steve

No its me that's been confused - I picked up the wrong end of a very long stick.

The EXP4 is indeed to allow some of the 3G cards to work in the 4G chassis and the TVP-500f will function without an adapter.

I just asked Paul Harris (Aurora) about signal compatibility re HDMI and he's taking about HDMI Video signals (though 480i may not be included) - which seems to rule out any 1:1 Pixel mapping via HDMI.

It looks like the final spec is not tied down yet so even Paul cant say for sure exactly what will be in and what wont.

Best regards

Joe

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    So in true Aurora fashion, would you say the time schedule is not tied down either? Seems to be the fly in the ointment from where I'm sitting.

10. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Indeed. Tis rather worrying because I am basically waiting for this before purchasing an MXE1 (don't see the point in buying one with the basic card just to swap it out again in a month's time).

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello both

I guess Q4 covers a fairly wide delivery window!!!

Mr. Williby - I'd talk to your dealer; I'm sure a long term solution can be reached that would allow you to have a Display sooner rather than later.

Best regards

Joe

12. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I posted some questions on the aurora multimedia forums about the 500F and Paul has replied today.

Here were my questions:

...and Paul's reply:

The thread is here (if anybody wants to chime in with more questions:

I might ask for clarification about 3&4 as these are particularly important (to me, anyway).

13. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Paul Harris from Aurora has stated that the 500F doesn't support hi-def resolutions via the component inputs.

I am planning on routing all of my component-capable devices through my (as yet unpurchased) AV receiver. I'm thinking xbox + component hi-def kit at the very least.

I'll also use the receiver it to up-scale the svideo output from my humax box to component to ease with the cabling & switching issues.

my question: Given that 720p via the 500F's component input is a no-no, I hear that you can connect component video to the VGA port (input 1) on some Plasma displays.

According to the Pioneer 50MXE-1 manual, it supports the following on its VGA input:

Do I need some kind of converter box or is it possible to buy a component to VGA cable and pass the feed directly? I'm assuming that I need some kind of converter because the specs make no mention of support for Y PB/CB, PR/CR except on the PDA-5003/5004 cards....

I'm sure this is obvious but I've had a dig around and can't work out whether its possible without some additional electronics. TIA!

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mr Wilby, the device you need is a scaler, for hi def processing I think you need the Lumagen, perhaps Joe or Gordon will take this up?

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Mr. Wilby

The HD15(VGA) socket will accept YUV(YPbPr) if a PDA-5003 or 4 is installed in the expansion slot - how this works when its a TVP-500F in the expansion slot is a question for Paul.

Best regards

Joe

16. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Joe - thanks. I knew I read that somewhere. I had another look at the manual and I was looking in the wrong section.

It does state that when the 5003 or 5004 card is installed, then it does support component video on input 1.

I will ask Paul. Cheers!

17. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem with these Aurora cards is that somehow they can not meet what we europeans want.

TVP1000+ has scaler but no teletext, tvp500 has teletext but uses internal plasma scaling .

I ca not live without teletext, therefore I will have to search for some external solution.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
  19. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,
    I know this one, I also consider it as an option, but I would rather prefer all-in-one card. TVP1000+ with teletext would be my preference, unfortunately it does not exist.

Regards
    Kastrup

20. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just in case anybody else is interested, I had a further Q&A with Paul Harris:

and his reply

Thought somebody may find this useful (assuming the 500F is ever released ;-)!)

21. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Quite! :laugh:

.. and if we haven't all rushed out and bought a DLP RPT for next-to-nothing first

22. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They should simply add the scaler chip onto this card and I guess they would have quite a few customers in Europe (if they ever release it)

23. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Any update on this?

Availability? Pricing? Compatibility etc etc?

Thanks.

24. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Early December looks likely now. Problems getting CE mark have delayed the card from the original October release. Edit: Sorry mid-December (according to Joe).

What a surprise!

25. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mid December is rapidly approaching so is there any sign of these 500F cards yet?

I was talking to a guy that will be calibrating my MXE1 early next year and he let slip that Pioneer (Australia) are currently trialling a dual HDMI (with HDCP) card at the moment. I'm guessing this is the 500F. He said it will likely cost A$2000 though. :thumbsdow

Anyone else heard anything yet?

26. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Here is a post by Paul Harris of Aurora taken from the AVSForums on the 09/11/2004.
    General update: The TVP500F with HDMI will not ship until February.
    Unfortunately, the HDMI testing labs are tied up until middle of January and until we are approved from the labs I can not sell HDMI. We may release a non HDMI version for those who just want the tuner but that is not official yet.

27. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I can hardly contain my surprise ;-)

I was originally waiting for this card before buying the MXE-1. I am glad I didn't (wait)!

The ironic thing is that most of us just want the HDMI (w/HDCP) inputs. I'd imagine that most don't care about the tuner! Seems like they have it the wrong way around.

I also dread to think how many months it would be before they released just a tuner version!

28. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    At least MXE1 owners are not alone. The Panasonic guys seem to be having just as much fun with both the DVI and HDMI cards for the series 7 panny.

29. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed will follow that particular debate with interest...

30. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any other solution for MXE + tuner but with proper scaling