1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE1 and 720p@50HZ

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cucuz, Dec 21, 2004.

1. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Excuse me harping on about this , but would the Pioneer's FRC overcome the problem of judder ( assuming the use of an external scaler )

Thanks for your patience .

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This screen is capable of judder free 720p, but lacks HDCP compliance. The way around this is probably to SDI modify your sources, and use an appropriately equipped scaler. Having said it's capable, I've just had a little trouble with this today, but got native res going at 50Hz instead, which looked fine.

3. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply MAW . :thumbsup:

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just to add that via DVI I can only get 1280x768 at either 50Hz or 60Hz...I can't get any video modes such as 576p or 720p at all despite the blurb I have clearly showing support for all the popular video modes over oth analog and digital connections.

Also to say that using the Lumagen at native resolution produces the smoothest motion I have ever seen on a plasma...not a single sign of any judder at all...period.

That's not to say its perfect though...could do with a tad more contrast for more convincing blacks...but that said the level of detail shown is terrific.

MAW...did you get the same results over DVI ?

Cheers, Lee

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Mt findings are exactly the same. This was the same screen and scaler. Was going to PM you actually. We have a weird sort of look to the last 25 or so pixels on the right with all inputs. Looks like bevelled glass on DVD, and on some sky channels it's bright green.

BTW FRC mode 2 didn't work either, this split the pictureand 'scrolled' it to the right.

6. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert in any way, but I can't understand why would you want to run anything at 720p. If I understand it correctly, this would cause the screen to scale the material to 768 and I don't think you want that. I don't know how it is done on lumagen, but Crystalio's manual states that selections for video output formats (like 576p, 720p etc...) are meant for CRTs and crt ptojectors. Plasma screens should use resolution settings instead.
    I'm watching Pal at 1280x768@50 and NTSC DVDs at 1280x768@60 using FRC 2 and I don't see any judder whatsoever.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    we're all right on this one, you just use whatever looks good to you and works. As it turns out we are all doing the same thing anyway, except I couldn't get a proper picture with FRC mode 2 yesterday.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was only trying to get 720p etc as an experiement machu...the plan was always to run at native res.

MAW, that's strange...I have an almost perfect image on mine using FRC mode 2...after several hours playing I might add.

Now, firstly forgive me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs mate as Im sure in the grand scheme of thing you know far more than I...but give these timing settings a try:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Once entered you have to switch inputs on the MXE1 to get it sync to the new signal.

Then bring up the crosshatch test pattern on the Lumagen and enter the MXE1s Integerator Menu and you should find that you need to shift the image one pixel to the left...this should show a perfect pattern but with a double width column on the right-hand side but this is down to a bug in the Lumagen.

Also stick it into FRC mode 2 as it will show tearing otherwise.

And that should be that...you shouldn't have to touch the output size or pos settings on the Lumagen, in fact if you do it will mess it up.

I have also been experimenting with the Signal Type setting under the PRO USE menu on the MXE1s Integerator Menu by changing it from MOTION to STILL...as that's what it's receiving from the Lumagen, a stream of still images. I was under the impression that it cuts down again on the processing that the screen performs on the incomming signal.

Cheers, Lee

9. soiaf

soiaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 43MXE1 and I'm currently looking through the technical manual for the (50 and 43) MXE1's.

Basic difference (apart from one being bigger :D ) seems to be that the 50MXE1 has a native resolution of 1280x768, vs a native resolution of 1024x768 for the 43MXE1.

Has anyone tried using a scaler with the 43MXE1, and do they know if the 1024x768 figures that loonatic posted here would work on the 43MXE1 ?

Thanks in advance