1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE RGB connections question!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Easy2BCheesy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a very happy man. Just finished my negotiations and have an order for a MXE for £3,500 with video card *and* wall-mount bracket. I'm told that silver MXEs are in the next batch too, so if one of those is available, I'm having some of that :smashin:

Quick question - in theory could you create a SCART to BNC lead and connect up Sky+ to the BNCs on the the Pio? If so, where would the RGB sync line attach to, H sync or V sync?

In short, can I use this technique so I don't have to spend £120 on a JS Technology RGB to Plasma box?

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy2BCheesy,

Excellent stuff, welcome aboard !!! :smashin: :smashin:

In my opinion the best option by a distance ...... of at least 288 pixels! ;) , and youve managed a great deal with the wall mount & stand.

Dont know the answer to your question, maybe ask dealer?, but is this something that you would really want to do for your new panel?, top panels best served with top feeds !!

I use the JS Converter, granted its extra cash, but over-all its a good performer.

Tony

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you spent 3 1/2 grand dont ruin it by using cheap cables / to get the best out of it go for the js tech.
    i found the vga a bit sharper than component but thats on a toshiba/panny
    welcome to the club

and post some pics soon as you can

4. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm assuming all the JS converter does is to create H and V syncs and maybe remodulate the R G B lines to meet the VGA input standard. I realise that the componentry involved is far more complex than this throwaway sentence suggests! (Apologies to Mr Sim if he is reading!)

If the MXE's BNCs can take a YUV interlaced input, surely they can take an RGB interlaced input too? I'm just curious about the sync situation ;)

The reason I ask is that I would rather save the VGA socket for my Xbox, which with a bit of fiddling can double up as a progressive scan DVD player.

Yes, very excited about the purchase. My lounge is currently a mess of big black boxes - it'll be goodbye to the 32" WEGA, goodbye to the enormous black speakers, hello to the wall-mounted Pio and hello KEF eggs :) Coupled with a strategically placed mirror, the lounge will look twice as big as it does now :smashin:

5. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not suggesting cheap cables - in fact, if the Pio's BNCs accept an interlaced RGB signal, I'd actually be cutting out one stage of conversion. If JS is the best option though, of course I'll be going for it.

Dr Sims did me a big favour abour a year ago when I was looking to attach an arcade machine to a DVCAM recorder, so I am already sufficiently in awe of his prowess :p

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You can use the BNC's, the usual way is RGB and sync on composite, haven't tried it with a MXE, but pretty sure it'll work. The cable could be a QED one for £80 or a lecktropaks one for about £40, I've used them on Pannys and fujitsus, they're good. You have to tell the screen what you are trying to do in the menu, have a look in there before buying a cable. As I say, the sync goes to composite, not h or v, so it uses up an input you may have another use for, though of course a VHS would 'pass through' it's composite signal on scart, and you'd just select input 4 for vhs and input 2 for TV. The loss of the composite port is why Dr Sim makes a living, and of course his boxes produce an instant, flawless picture for anyone, no skills required.

7. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, this makes sense - has any one tried a SCART to BNC lead on the Pioneer display?

I would have no use for the composite input any way.

Do you have links for QED and Lecktropaks?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    QED is a dealer job, no direct sales. Lecktropaks, http://www.lektropacks.com/ If you are anywhere near Surrey, I've got a couple of them a 3m and a 1m,brand new. Otherwise their mail order is good.

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Easy2BCheesy,

Great choice of plasma - welcome to the club! I can also recommend the JS Tech RGB to VGA converter. Surely you'll want to keep the BNCs for a component video DVD player, although you could of course use the VGA if configured for component.

Steve

10. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it will be JS Technology RGB to VGA. Your reasoning is very sound Dutch!

11. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy2BCheesy, mind sharing where you got that deal as I'm in the the market for basically the same set-up.

Cheers,

/\/\j17

12. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a bit of a long story. Essentially a couple of months back, there was a Power Buy on the DVD Forums from Upgrade Heaven. The Power Buys came to an end, but I thought I would chance my arm any way.

The website for the shop is here but the deal isn't: http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/

But the guy I contacted about the deal is Justin - justin@upgradeheaven.co.uk

Great bloke who knows what he's talking about and highly recommended on the DVD Forums.