1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MXE next step

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Phil43, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am a very happy owner of the 43" MXE Pioneer Plasma watching in awe with a PAL modded Progressive output Pioneer DVD.

But the upgrade bug is starting to itch. With new video cards shortly to be available for the display I am starting to look into SDI or DVI as a method of keeping the path all digital.

Does anybody know of any company that provides upgrades to used or new machines ? Techtronics only seem to offer the 'Progressive' upgrade.

One day I wonder will DTT boxes be upgradeble also ? That would keep my interest... until High Definition of course

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try this company, Visionery.

They supplied a Plasma for review by HCC some time ago that was SDI capable. They were also able to mod DVD players or SKY digiboxes to give an SDI output as well.

Let us know how you get on.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It's about £1000 to get Visionary to mod your Sky box. God knows what they'd charge for a DVD player. Almost definatley cheaper selling your current unit and buying a pre-modded unit from someone else.

Visionary is a division of Electrograph Delphi (I believe) who are maufacturers of an SDI input plasma display. I ave no idea how good the de-interlacing is in the plasma they sell and haven't seen one in more than 2 years so can't comment on picture quality.

DVI outputing DVD players are starting to appear. The HDCP DVI cards for MXE's will be available soon. Should be a nice combo

Gordon

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Phil,

You can buy reasonably priced SDI-modded players from www.jvb.nl I bought one of their modded Pioneer 757Ai and am currently waiting for the release of the Key Digital card to fit the Pioneer MXEs. I've been informed that KD will be producing an SDI to DVI converter as they have replaced the SDI input on the original spec card with another DVI input. The current US range of Panasonic players are very highly regarded as they don't have the chroma bug. Check out www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=5 for some very extensive tests of current players.

Steve

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So reading Gordons post I am assuming there will be a new card which is a Pioneer replacement for the 5002 card currently residing in my MXE.

Is it just the new MXE models card that is backward compatible with the 433 and hence able to accept HD from a dvd player with the HDCP output?

If so, anyone know how much one of these will be and when they will be here??? I so hope this will be the case as I thought my display was pretty future proofed when I bought it.

Ta.

Lennyz

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Lenny,

The DVI-HDCP cards mentioned by Gordon are still rather thin on the ground. The Key Digital one is supposedly out at Christmas - but that's what they said in 2002, though. :rolleyes: Aurora have the A303HDCP but this can't handle native resolution through the DVI. Aurora don't have a UK distributor so you would have to import one yourself. Personally, I've given up on both of them and have ordered a Lumagen VisionPro scaler. ;)

Steve

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Yes,,,,,thin on the ground.....oops. Aurora now have UK distribution. Can;t rememebr who it is though. TBRAR on this forum knows.

Gordon

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Not all sky boxes can be modded - the latest Sky+ for example cannot.

Modding a DVD player for SDI will vary depending on the model, but expect between £300 and £500. My SDI modded Denon 2900 cost me £1200 all inclusive compared to a typical price for an unmodded unit of £700. I play DVDs from the 2900 via SDI into a H3DII equipped HCPC, then DVI from the PC the 433. PQ is awesome, as it is I gather with DVI. Just depends which format you want to go with.

The non-HDCP DVD players - ie those that a 433MXE will recognise - have been pretty flaky, check the threads on the DVD forum.

The new 434/504 Pios with HDMI are tempting, now that suitably equipped DVD players are about to emerge.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Yes, the cost of SDI mods for Sky boxes etc has fallen. If you are a dab hand you could do it yourself.

I saw the fabled HDMI Pioneer DVD player and 434 combo at teh Scottish HiFi show......I will comment in another thread. My teaser is that I don't agree with those who have viewed it at other shows.

G

10. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OOOPS...

Don't make us so curios. C'mon, what is wrong with them ?

11. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You've got me worried now Gordon.. I'm just about to go ahead with a 434HDE, 868 and AX5i.

Whats the problem?

12. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you are gonna saying they are not excellent but unbelievable/out of this world. (I ordered mine already :rolleyes:

13. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So have i now.. :eek:

I'm hoping he didn't like it because its amazing quality at default is going to make his Convergent trips a thing of the past! (Damn unlikely though).

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Guys,

I can only say what I saw. I am running around daft trying to organsie stuff for Event2. If you have ordered or are considering ordering I wouldn't get too worried. I;m sure they can be great. More later.

Gordon

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Just a word of caution re the SDI modded plasma. I have seen this once and it was some time ago. SDI certainly helped the screeen loads but the was OLD technology that the latest Pioneers / Panny are simply in a different class. Things have moved on big time. There were all sorts of 'issues' with it.

16. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the best and most cost-effective route is a self-modded SDI Sky+ box (full details just a search away on this forum) into a HCPC, outputting via DVI?

17. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh well:(

Here's me thinking I would be able to possibly buy a newer version of the 5002 card (made by pioneer) which would be a standard fitment for the new model MXE's and put it into my own display to "hey presto" give me a HDCP compliant display capable of high res from a suitably equipped HDMI.

So the only way of using the MXE's Dvi will be a HCPC or a current non HDCP player with no chance of upgrading in the future:mad:

Or of course pay a small fortune for an aftermarket card that may or may not materialise in the near future....

Instead of getting more straightforward the whole thing turns into a minefield with tripwires!

Lennyz