1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer media boxes

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andybryant, Nov 16, 2003.

1. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Last time I was looking at Plasmas, I was looking at the previous generation of Pio (433), and Panny (series5). At the time, the Pio with media box was terrible in comparison to the Pio without. So I was all set to go with the Pio standalone version.

Some time passed.

I'm now back, and I've seen the new Pio 43" with media box (434-HDE), and it looks fantastic. I can't fault it. I understand from my local dealer that there is a non-media box (434-MXE?) varient due out in Jan/Feb.

They've obviously done some serious work on the media box. Have they improved it to the state where it is now pointless waiting for the non-media box version? If I feed it with a digital input from a HTPC at native resolution, will it pass it through to the display un-affected?

Now - how to get a digital feed from the HTPC to the display? I've got a DVI o/p from a Radeon card. Could I connect this to the HDMI on the back of the media box?

I think the connection to the display is DVI. Could I feed this direct from a HTPC anyway?

Cheers, Andy.

2. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello Andy,

that is a good question. The Pioneer guy I met last Wednesday was claiming that this would not be possible becuase of the lack of HDCP compliancy on a PC DVI interface.

For my part I think that by using a DVI-HDMI adaptor cable (available in the states but I can't find any available in UK yet) the connention will be possible provided you can set it to a refresh / resolution that the 434 will be happy with. a look on the U.S. forum should provide the answer very soon. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Cheers

Simon

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I had a 433HDE and now a 434HDE. The 433MXE was always better than the 433HDE. The new 434HDE looks better than the 433MXE. A 434MXE new version is expected next year.

4. jspink

jspink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks jsspink,

I've emailed the UK contact address to see if they will play ball.

Cheers

Simon

6. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    i thought the mxe and hde were the same panels, only difference is one has a tuner box?

7. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mark,

There is no spec that I have seen for the new 4th generation MXE but the 3rd generation HDE and MXE were very different beasts. However, as per your other thread I would avoid the 433HDE because it had the naffest of media boxes. If you could pick up a 433MXE for £2K then that would be a good deal.

Cheers

Simon

8. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The reason for the big improvement in the new pioneer media box and consiquently the panel is that the box is now made by pioneer the previous one was made by sharp and was not very good,one big omision being no progressive scan now included in the pioneer box

9. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    bit of a cornish thing goin on 'ere my 'andsome ?