Pioneer Media Box Cable - PDA-H03 - cheap replication?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by markfozzie, Aug 16, 2006.

1. markfozzie

markfozzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In essence, the PDA-H03 cable is a DVI cable and a DFP cable, is there any reason why this cable could not be replicated using a DFP to DVI cable (with a converter back to DFP since I can only find DVI to DFP cables not DFP DFP as featred on the PDA-H03) and a DVI cable. Just a though. you can pick up the two cables seperately for around £30 for 10 m as opposed to the RRP of £199 for the PDA-H03. Any comments would be highly welcome. The main sticking points here are my lack of knowledge about the various types of DVI cable i.e single dual dvi-i dvi-d and the type of dvi cable required to hapily carry the media box's dfp cable data. Cheers all :)

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    Hello markfozzie

You require a DVI cable plus a 20 pin MDR cable.

The Pioneer TV can be fussy about your choice of DVI cable - I've seen plenty of cables the system wont work with.

20 pin MDR cables are not that easy to source.

Best regards

Joe

PS And now that Pioneer GB have dropped the Media Box its going to be even more difficult to get replacement cable kits.

3. markfozzie

markfozzie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually have a cable for my TV, I thought i'd try and do a public service by finding out which MDR DFP (same thing) cable would work. the only way to purchase the cables is to get DVI to DFP(MDR) and then running a DVI to DFP adaptor. The DVI end of these cables is a single, would this carry all of the DFP information (and so be inperceptable to the media box)? Which type of DVI cable does the system use (i think i know i'd like to compare). Cheers.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    Hello markfozzie

You can purchase 20 pin MDR cables - no need to use adapters; they are available in all manner of lengths.

I've never tried using a DVI cable plus adapter for the Comms/audio cable - its far simpler installing a 20 pin MDR cable.

You can use Single or Dual Link DVI cables for the Video cable - though as before the system can be fussy; especially so if your going over 3m.

I don't want to pour cold water on your efforts but your Public Service is on a product that's been around for four years and has now been discontinued!

Best regards

Joe