1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer MCACC and small/large speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Calle, Aug 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 2011, currently paired with some unmatched speakers (B&W CM2 stands at L/R, and Canton satellites elsewhere). Not optimal setup, but I can't afford buying more speakers at the moment. :/

Now the magic MCACC of the pio 2011 is compensating for the difference in sound in the various channels, and it is doing pretty well. However, it keeps setting my front speakers as 'large'.

The B&W is not exactly large, so I'd like them to be small to redirect the bass to my sub. The manual vaguely suggests that it should be possible between the first round of noise and the second, but I can't change speaker size there.

Of course, I can go in and change the speaker size afterwards, but do I violate the MCACC then? Wouldn't it be more precise if it knew about how I like my speakers to be sized from the beginning?

Also, I don't understand the 'PLUS' setting of the subwoofer - does it mean that I can set my fronts to Large, and get signals below the cutoff frequency _both_ to my fronts and to my sub?

It's a bit time consuming to experiment, so I was just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions.. I'd really like to setup things so I can get both multichannel and good stereo sound.

2. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Calle
    I don´t own the Pioneer 2011,i´m waiting for my AX5i.
    I was thinking though,you could raise the freq cutoff
    then you should be able to let the Pio think that you have small speakers at front.
    Just a thought

Cheers
    Maggi

3. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had the same dilemma! There is no way you can adjust the speaker settings before calibaration so just run mcacc then set your speakers to small, it will have little or no effect on the sound! IMO!

4. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Large doesnt neccesarily mean large in size, more what frequencies the speakers can output.

If found that the MACC is pretty good and would tend to leave it as is unless you specifically want to stop all frequencies going to the front for some reason (sub sat system?) or are getting distorsions.

5. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I'd _really_ like to do is to set crossover for my fronts to say 50Hz, and to 80Hz for the rest of the speakers. Too bad it can't be done... I thought setting it to 80Hz for all speakers would be a good compromise, the B&W's are good but they need a little bit subwoofer support when I'm running it in stereo mode.

6. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I own the vsa-ax10, the larger model, and as far as I know there is no problem in setting the speakers to small or large after mcacc. The pioneer just tries to get the frequency response for all ranges that it thinks makes sense, and it's better for it to not be too quick in thinking the speaker cannot handle low frequencies. This way mcacc determines the frequency response at the lowest frequency too, meaning around 80Hz (or whatever you choose as cut-off) it knows better what characteristic the speaker has. It is more of a protection mechanism, I think, when mcacc would decide that certain speakers are 'small'.

In short: It is left to the users to set the subwoofer cut-off and size of speaker(s), independent of the frequency response the mcacc has determined.

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All of the various forms of MCACC can't do much with frequencies below 80Hz. IIRC the bottom of the adjustment range is 68Hz.
    So even if it has decided that your front's are large it won't make much of a difference if you run all speakers as small, and no difference at all if you use Eq only to match centre and rears to the fronts.

Hope this helps.:cool:

8. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for all the help folx! I understand things better now.
    But.. what does IIRC mean? :)

9. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, If I Recall Correctly.

10. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    To answer the second part of your question concerning 'Plus' setting, I found that if the speakers are set to large then on prologic 11 or neo the sub does not receive a signal. The Plus setting sends the base frequencies to the sub as well as the speakers giving 'sub base' on prologic 11 and neo - crucial for non DVD sources and something the manual does not make clear. You can use the sub's frequency cut - off to control the frequency fired out by the sub.

Jeff

11. Calle

Calle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual isn't very clear at all, I think.
    But surely the crossover frequency set in the receiver must be used even in this case?

12. Jeffers01

Jeffers01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes for sure, but that crossover is typically and necessarilly quite high frequency. When you have the bass coming from the main speakers and the sub you may want to limit the higher frequencies coming from the sub and just go for the really low grunt for certain movies. This is most conveniently adjusted at the sub usually.