pioneer LX91 or LX71+Rega apollo CD player

Kamin99

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Yamaha Z7 but still undecided on BD player. I initially wanted the LX 91 to play my CD as well as BD but now I'm thinking of LX71 and a dedicated CD player like the Rega Apollo, from what I read the 91 will not match a dedicated CD despite all the high grade DACs in it any advice will be really appreciated:smashin:

Especially the Apollo or even the 35th anniversary edition (which I have - its an awesome cd player).

By all accounts the 91 is in another league to the 71. If you really want a BluRay only machine, why not buy a Denon DVD2500BT which would partner wonderfully with your Z7, much more so that the 71. But don't discount the 91 with CDs until you've heard it.

After an audition, make your choice and let us all know how you found it.

(And buy the 2500 over here for £600 - which is now EUR600!)

Depending on your setup, you may find the Pioneer's source direct option very useful. No-one else currently offers this for some reason.

Ian_S, isn't this because they're too dumb to update their firmware to allow it? It's hardly as though it's a hardware inadequacy. That said, I am lost as to why they don't do this. What's to stop them?

Especially the Apollo or even the 35th anniversary edition (which I have - its an awesome cd player).
do you know if it still available?

By all accounts the 91 is in another league to the 71. If you really want a BluRay only machine, why not buy a Denon DVD2500BT which would partner wonderfully with your Z7, much more so that the 71. But don't discount the 91 with CDs until you've heard it.

After an audition, make your choice and let us all know how you found it.

(And buy the 2500 over here for £600 - which is now EUR600!)
My reason for not going for the 2500 was the defect in subwoofer output (-5db),not working with the universal studio disks,and that denon tells you to update their software at your own risk!

Depending on your setup, you may find the Pioneer's source direct option very useful. No-one else currently offers this for some reason.
so Ian_S what benefit is this ,don't really understand much is it that the player shuts all circuits apart from sniping the disk to get the best out of it ,and allow the TV to do the rest ?

from what I read the 91 will not match a dedicated CD despite all the high grade DACs in it any advice will be really appreciated:smashin:

I think this statement validity strongly depends on the CD-player. I have never listened to the Rega Apollo machine and I imagine you will have to audition both with the Yamaha to satisfy yourself.

I use Arcam FMJ gear and can confirm that none of their acclaimed FMJ DVD players pitched as a good quality CD player can compete with a dedicated FMJ CD player. This is despite of presence of the Wolfson DACs. They are on par with the entry level units from the DiVa range though.

I bought the LX91 and kept my FMJ CD player. :smashin:

Scatter

Last edited:
so Ian_S what benefit is this ,don't really understand much is it that the player shuts all circuits apart from sniping the disk to get the best out of it ,and allow the TV to do the rest ?

Simply means you can set the player to automatically change output resolution based on the native disc i.e. 576i DVD, 1080i/60 Blu-ray video or 1080p/24 Blu-ray Film etc. This is to avoid the players deinterlacing and having to change the output setting manually based on the native disc. It's only beneficial if the off board deinterlacing is better than the player internal processing.

AVI

Last edited:
Simply means you can set the player to automatically change output resolution based on the native disc i.e. 576i DVD, 1080i/60 Blu-ray video or 1080p/24 Blu-ray Film etc. This is to avoid the players deinterlacing and having to change the output setting manually based on the native disc. It's only beneficial if the off board deinterlacing is better than the player internal processing.

AVI
So would you say the kuro deinterlacing would be better than Denon 2500?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom