Pioneer LX72 is dead/faulty...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Groover, Jul 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Groover

Groover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My Pioneer LX72 amp wouldn't turn on one evening and the power button just showed the constant blue light with an error in the display which when referenced back to the manual described the unit as needing a repair and beyond a 'user fix'.
    I did the usual power offs over a period of time, hard resets etc. Same result.
    So I called Richer sounds and they said they could get it looked at for an initial cost of £65.
    RS then send the unit off to ServiceCare and I wait for confirmation that it can/cannot be repaired. So i drop the unit off into RS.

4 weeks had gone by and I had not heard anything from RicherSounds, so I called them on several occasions to get an update - with mixed results.

Transpires that ServiceCare were waiting for my authorisation to proceed with the repair at an additional £38. I approved there and then and was assured the amp would be swiftly fixed and returned to me.

Onto week 6 and last week I had to chase RS to see when I could expect the amp back. Much to-ing and fro-ing by RS with ServiceCare and they are now saying the part was ordered, is on back order with no date therefore amp being returned and not repaired. I still await a call to say my amp is ready to collect.

I have asked RS to get the fault diagnosis and I can understand the part that has failed.

My question to you guys is who else reputable can I try for a repair and is it worth trying again IF I can get details of the part to be replaced? The amp was £1600 in 2010 and while old is still as new condition and suits my setup perfectly. It's not going to be cheap to replace.

If it is not worth the further repair hassle, what amp do people recommend that will suit (and drive) 3 x B&W CWM (In-Wall) LCR7's , 2 B&W CCM80's (In-Ceiling) and 1 x BK Electronics XXLS400?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
  3. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Frustrating situation. I would want to know what "part" has failed to see if I could source my own and save time diagnosing/fault finding by a third party.

There's an SC-LX73 on Ebay ATM for BIN price of £250.00

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. Groover

Groover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you. I will give them a shout.

5. Groover

Groover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I haven't got the amp back and haven't even had a call from RS to confirm it's been returned. The last I was told when RS inquired about the actual fault/part was, "It's an electrical fault" :D

6. Groover

Groover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    An update...
    I knew the amp was being returned unrepaired, so I spoke to JS Audio repairs and the guy there confirmed parts aren't actually available anymore, he could fix it, but it would be at component level and to do that with P&P probably was not financially viable on an amp that age.

I collected my amp from Richer Sounds. In all fairness they were very apologetic, helpful and agreed the service I had to date was poor - without any request they refunded my costs. We had a chat about a replacement, but they did not have anything in store that was at that level I could see and touch.

So this week I have been speaking with The Sound Gallery about a replacement and pondering if they Arcam 390 was a worthy replacement and if I wanted to spend that kind of money on another amp.. In short, yes and The Sound Gallery have been excellent in there service, honest opinions and a good deal to include coming out to my home and performing the DIRAC optimisation service.

I am excited to see what Arcam and DIRAC can achieve and see what some of the hype is about.