Question Pioneer lx59 and kef r100 surround set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pj1963, Apr 10, 2016.

1. pj1963

pj1963
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought system, kef r100 5.1, pioneer lx59 and 65 inch oled lg. need some tips on set up, how do I set speakers ? Cross over etc and should I be able to switch on all the units connected via the pioneer remote or ap

2. Bbos37

Bbos37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes you can use the remote app.To set up connect all your speakers and run the calibration using the provided mic.

3. pj1963

pj1963
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need to set cross over and small / large speakers, can this be done from the app, I set up via the app already but not sure if I also have to set speaker crossover manually

4. Bbos37

Bbos37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The app most of the functions except set up function.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    Personally I would set up everything via the receiver's own remote. I always set the speaker configuration before running the calibration (I'm using a Denon), firstly putting in your speaker arrangement, which I assume is 5.1. Set all speakers to small. After calibration you can alter the crossover and I would suggest setting all speakers to 80 or 100. I have my R100s set to 100.

As both receiver and speakers are new it may be beneficial to re-calibrate in a few weeks as both are run-in, but not essential. Nice set up, now sit back and enjoy the 100s, they are a brilliant little speaker and punch well above their weight.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,651
    You need not set the speakers as being small prior to calibration. This would not be used by the receiver during the calibration and is part of the bass management settings which are disregarded and erased by the calibration. Only set speaker sizes and crssovers post calibration.

It is generally suggest you set all speakers as beinf SMALL irrespective of their physical size or rated frequency handling abilities. Only those speakers designated SMALL would utilise the associated crossover settings. The crossover setting redirects frequencies at and below the setting away from speakers designated small to the subwoofer.

Never set crossovers lower than the receiver's calibration set them. The receiver uses the roll off point measured during the calibration to determine where the lowest possible crossover should be. While you can manually adjust this to a higher setting post calibration, you shouldn't set crossovers lower than the measured roll off of speakers.

With speakers able to deal with frequencies at or below 80Hz then it is suggested that you use a crossover of 80Hz. This is because 80Hz is recognised as being the point at which most listeners start to localise audio. The higher you set the crossover above this then the higher the risk of yu localising the output from your subwoofer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016