• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer LX57 or Sony, DN1040, DA2800ES

Lalami1990

Hello everyone!

I picked up a Sony DN1040 a few weeks back and I returned it back to the store the other day due to a minor fault. When I returned it, I ended up exchanging it for a Pioneer SC-2023 and I haven't been happy with the overall sound of the system and I've been left feeling that it lacks warmth. I feel that the DN1040 sounded much better than this unit.

I'm now thinking of returning this Pioneer unit and exchanging it for the DN1040 again or either the Pioneer LX57 or Sony DA2800ES.

When compared to my current Pioneer SC-2023:
  • The LX57 is £300 more
  • The Sony DN1040 is £150 cheaper
  • The Sony DA2800ES is £500 more
I haven't really got a budget set, I'm just looking for a decent unit. Which out of these three units would you recommend? I'd really appreciate any help as I'm heading to the store tomorrow. Many thanks :)

timn

I Don't have any experience of the DN1040, but I replaced my Sony DA2800ES with the Pioneer LX57.

The user interface on the Sony is nicer and easier to use and set up than the Pioneer, and the remote is better built and laid out than that supplied with the Pioneer. But I found the Pioneer was a big step ahead in sound quality, the clarity and sound stage as well as the amount of detail were noticeably better with the Pioneer. The build qulaity of the Pioneer is slightly better and it feels a little more solid than the Sony but there's not a lot in it.
The Pioneer remote is probably it's worst feature with small buttons that aren't easy to read, but I use the Pioneer app to control the AVR and BD player and although the Sony had a similar ES app the Pioneer app is nice to use and has good functionality to control and set up the amp.

Lalami1990

I Don't have any experience of the DN1040, but I replaced my Sony DA2800ES with the Pioneer LX57.

The user interface on the Sony is nicer and easier to use and set up than the Pioneer, and the remote is better built and laid out than that supplied with the Pioneer. But I found the Pioneer was a big step ahead in sound quality, the clarity and sound stage as well as the amount of detail were noticeably better with the Pioneer. The build qulaity of the Pioneer is slightly better and it feels a little more solid than the Sony but there's not a lot in it.
The Pioneer remote is probably it's worst feature with small buttons that aren't easy to read, but I use the Pioneer app to control the AVR and BD player and although the Sony had a similar ES app the Pioneer app is nice to use and has good functionality to control and set up the amp.

Would you say its worth paying the extra £300 and upgrading to the LX57?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Read your first post :)

Only your ears are going to tell you what you like/what is better value (for you) - hopefully your store will see the long term benefit in allowing you to try a few options at home.

Are you planning any other changes in the near future such as upgrading your loudspeakers?

You didn't say what you started out with before the new Sony arrived or why you decided to change AVR's.

It can take a bit of time to adjust to a new component in a system.

Joe

timn

I haven't heard the SC-2023 to give a comparison against the LX57, but I'd choose the Pioneer over the Sony 2800ES. Most hifi shops will allow you take in your existing amp to demo against a new one for a back to back comparison, and as Joe mentioned some may allow you to try the amp at home so you can test how it sounds with your current setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom