• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer LX5090H or Samsung PS50B850

nickdd

Standard Member
Hey guys,

I just ruled out Panasonic and was about to order the samsung PS50B850 when I saw that the online shop also had the Pioneer LX5090H in stock !

Price samsung: 1450 euro
Price pioneer: 2050 euro

I know the LX5090 features better blacks, but they are not bad at all on the samsung. The samsung looks better (in my opinion) too (very thin)
The pioneer costs 600 euro more so looking for these answers:

- which one has the best SD quality ?
- which set has the best DLNA features ?
- is the Kuro good in lower light conditions ? The samsung looks pretty bright in medium-light conditions.
- general advantages over the samsung ?

Please help me decide if I should spent more for a bulkier but better tv or just stick witht he samsung :)

thanks.

Nick

pannyfanny

Ferrari or Ford Ka?

Sorry, Pioneer or Samsung?

I've seen most of the latest TVs set up side by side, the Pio blows them away. Get one, they are unfrigginbelievable.:thumbsup: I can say in all honesty that it's the best bit of kit I've ever bought.

Go to a dedicated retailer to see them yourself, there is only one winner.. You'd better be quick the Pios are getting hard to source..

I look forward to when it gets dark so that you can see the remarkable capability of my 6090. Beautiful.

nickdd

Standard Member
yeah that's the problem: didnt find a store yet where they actually have the 5090 so that I can actually have a look at it.

I saw the samsung and was also impressed, but it was just playing some bluray disc, can't really compare SD stuff.

Life is hard :)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Get the Pioneer, and at the price you quote it is a bit of a bargain. In the UK the 5090s are all around the £2k mark now. The Pioneer will have much better SD performance, better blacks, more accurate picture and higher resistance to IR.
There is no contest between these two. The Pioneer wins every time.

ezak

pio has better sd pq than all sets i've ever watched over. no contest in hd too as its the BEST! :smashin:

Dony

Distinguished Member
yeah that's the problem: didnt find a store yet where they actually have the 5090 so that I can actually have a look at it.

I was unable to see a Pioneer myself, but based on the many excellent reviews, I decided to buy anyway. It's being delivered today :clap:

nickdd

Standard Member
damn here in belgium we have dvb-c ... not that we can use a non-telenet (cable company) decoder yet, but I think it should be more "open" in a year or two. The samsung does have DVB-C, the pioneer not.

Plusses Samsung:
- DVB-C
- slim design

hodg100

Distinguished Member
The Pioneer will have much better SD performance,
There is no contest between these two. The Pioneer wins every time.

pio has better sd pq than all sets i've ever watched over.

Well David Mackenzie, TV reviewer of this parish, seems to think the new Samsungs have the best SD processing of any consumer TV available today so maybe it's not so clear cut.

From the recent B650 review:

The video processing in Samsung's most recent displays is probably the best I've ever seen in a lineup of consumer TVs. The scaling process, which resizes standard definition (and 720p) video to fit the 1080p panel, is suitably crisp and retains high frequencies in the image nicely, but at the same time, the TV somehow manages to avoid accentuating compression artefacts in Digital TV broadcasts.

I'm now awaiting the Kuro Mafia's backlash:D

nickdd

Standard Member
well I'm convinced that the Pioneers are very good, but you can't say that Samsung is so bad.

It does get good reviews and there is a long owner's thread for the samsung as well.

nickdd

Standard Member
I found the LX5090H online, but without stand, they say it's not available anymore :(

I think I need the KRP-TS02 ... but a stupid stand also costs around 200 euro !

That's a lot :(

himpressive

Well David Mackenzie, TV reviewer of this parish, seems to think the new Samsungs have the best SD processing of any consumer TV available today so maybe it's not so clear cut.

From the recent B650 review:

I'm now awaiting the Kuro Mafia's backlash:D

Well, his conclusion / opinion is right in a way.... seeing as the Pioneers are no longer "consumer TVs available today" :D
Glad got my KRP 500A when I did :thumbsup:

nickdd

Standard Member
Well just found a store where they have the LX5090 on display. Gonna see it in an hour or two.

It should be the same as the 5090H in terms of PQ, right ?

I would order the 5090H if I like it and can found a stand :)

Would be silly to have a plasma and nothing to mount it :(

Berties

Banned
Do you have a av stand already, or starting from scratch? You could buy a plasma stand that goes to the floor, rather than a foot where you need a stand as well. That's what I did, as Pioneer stand is £180 plus need to spend another hundred on a strong av rack.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Well, his conclusion / opinion is right in a way.... seeing as the Pioneers are no longer "consumer TVs available today" :D
Glad got my KRP 500A when I did :thumbsup:

I paraphrased him wrong actually,

The video processing in Samsung's most recent displays is probably the best I've ever seen in a lineup of consumer TVs.

So no caveat of being available now:D

nickdd

Standard Member
I got an old "Daewoo" CRT tv that's sending out this high pitched noise :)
So, yes I'm starting from scratch.

But got this TV furniture thing where I would need a foot, not really a floor stand.

Berties

Banned
What is your current TV stand? I would not use one of those little MDF cabinets you get with CRT TV's. If you're spending £2000 on a TV what's another £300 piece of mind for a decent stand?

nickdd

Standard Member
We just moved and we got new furniture. Just got a tv cable connection since yesterday, so wanted to wait until the tv signal was actually working to get a new tv. That's why the old CRT thing (where black= light grey) is here :)

I'm willing to spend some money on a decent foot, just think that 200 euro is a lot for a small foot.

Doctor Smith

I sent my 850 back after a week way too many quality issues.

Ordered a pioneer and they are worth the extra money and then some. Best TV i have ever owned and i change my TV on a yearly basis

nickdd

Standard Member
Ok I'm off to the shop now to have a watch at a Kuro 5090 :)

I know I will find the samsung sexier due to its thin design, but you can't have it all I'm afraid.

And Pioneer quality will probably save me the money in the long run.

Blu-rayx

I know I will find the samsung sexier due to its thin design, but you can't have it all I'm afraid.

Good choice :thumbsup:, I sent my 850 back after 4 days,too many PQ issues.

nickdd

Standard Member
Got back from the shops.

One had the LX5090 and LX6090 and another shop the 50b850.

It always sucks that those sets are not set up properly (or at least I think so).
Next to to LX5090 was a Viera 50 inch V10 series and it really looked washed out and over-bright. Probably shop settings. It really sucked.

The LX5090 looked a bit too dark, but nice blacks. But I had the feeling I couldn't "see" everything because it was so dark.
But the pioneers adapt themselves to the surroundings, something the other tv's don't do.

It was playing "digital tv" at 720p, just like all the other tv's in the shop.

In the other shop where they had the Samsung PS50B850 it was playing a bluray thing at 1080p with samsung marketing material.
So no fair comparison there.

Samsung:
- Costs less (+foot included)
- I found it a lot brighter in day light
- It's a lot slimmer
- It has a DVB-C tuner
- probably better DLNA features (please confirm/contest)

Pioneer:
- everybody seems to recommend it
- doesn't look too bad either
- Good blacks, but the samsung looked good as well

Sigh ... really have to decide.

Probably gonna go for the pioneer LX5090H (need the H edition) cause everyone tells me too.

Too bad I won't be able to use a built-in tuner and use the TV guide and stuff like that.
There are only 5 channels freely available on DVB-C here in .be, the other ones require a custom hardware box to view them. Will take another year or two I'm afraid until they move to an open system.

Can always get another dvb-c tuner/hdd recorder then.

Help :)

yelnek

Get the pioneer m8, its quality - tv's don't need to be sexy - thats what the wife's for :D

ezak

go to decent av shop m8. they normally have some decent settings and tweakings of this beast.

you'll find it dissappointed auditioning them in c*met, c*rry or pc w*rld...at least here in the uk. those guys know NOTHING!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom