Pioneer LX508 vs 5080 vs 9th Gen

maddernj

Well this is driving me nuts.....the flat re build should be ready in the next 3 weeks and its time to sort the new TV out. What to go for ? We sit about 9-10ft from the screen and the room does not have allot of natural light (quite dark) In fact the screen would not have any direct light source facing it. We watch a fair bit of normal SD in the evening and I watch a fair bit of sport. I want the screen mainly for the Sport and Films. I have narrowed it down to the 2 pioneer model's based on reviews and looking in stores. As the room is quite dark I feel that the lack of filter on the 5080 would not be an issue, is this a correct assumption ? Looking through the internet £2800 seems to be the going rate, Should I go for this or hold out for the 9th Gen model ? At present I have a Toshiba 36ZP18 so I am not someone who regularly changes the TV but want something like the Tosh that's going to last and not be redundant in 3 years..Thanks

arad85

Novice Member
Welcome to the forums :)

IMHO, if you think you can wait, wait :)

arad85

Novice Member
PS. If you're going to get an 8th gen, I would consider spending a little more and getting one with a 5 year guarantee - there are places that do them for that inclusive. Not cos I think they'll fail, just £2800 is a lot to spend on a TV and not have peace of mind.

maddernj

When are the 9th Gens coming out ? July ? Are they going to be that much better ? I think the wife may want me strung up if we have to have the huge tosh taking up all of the space in the front room till then......

arad85

Novice Member
When are the 9th Gens coming out ? July ?
Allegedly. But until they are actually in the shops, who knows....

Are they going to be that much better ? I think the wife may want me strung up if we have to have the huge tosh taking up all of the space in the front room till then......
Define "that much better"? They are supposedly better on black levels and higher white levels with broadly similar processing to the 8th gen. Prices may or may not be lower than current models.

BTW, you can get the LX5080 for £2800 with 5 year warranty at TLC. Don't forget to add a stand in though as that's screen only price.

JeffD

When are the 9th Gens coming out ? July ?
June I believe, although that could be late June. I think the official announcement about availability and pricing is going to be around the 12th May, so if you can at least wait til then you make your decision knowing more of the facts.