Pioneer LX01

ministry

Novice Member
Hi,

I have probably a 10 year old Pioneer LX01 system that is reasonably ok. I no longer use the dvd/hdd part but just the sound connected to a nvidia sheild and Plex. but am lacking more in the way of a center speaker if anything. But I am thinking of ditching this for some small speakers like some Dali’s or kef’s and an amp and of course there has to be a sub. I’m looking to spend around £1500 ish to include an amp too. What are your thoughts of this? Would I get a much better sound or is it not worth the expense to do this Without spending double the money or more?

many thanks

simon

Gasp3621

You can build better system with the cost of 1k£ or slightly more depending of subwoofer choice than the HTIB you have.

As you mentioned KEF, let`s use that and the Egg is probably small enough. They are discontinued now and that means you get them for low price from few dealers that still have them. Black & white finish.

2pairs of E301 and E301 centre channel = 400£.

For AV receiver most popular pick is often Denon X2600H which offers long list of features and lot´s of connections for 425£. You should buy it from Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson cause they are most likely the only two offering 6year warranty, normally 2years so big difference!

Subwoofer from dedicated company BK Electronics which is your best option if looking most bang for buck. Made in UK Essex. There is lot of finish options from different wood veneers to gloss ones, but assuming you want to stick with basic satin black/white and lowest price, then we can look their grade-b site at ebay.

If you have small room and/or need too keep the size small without blowing budget then Gemini II with downfiring 10" driver and 150w amp:

If you have larger room to fill and/or just want more impact from the subwoofer for blockbuster movies, then there is few other options around 340-400£ from BK. The cabinet size will grow to 40x40x45 / 46x40x40 HW, will link those if intrested.

So in this example the total package cost is 1000£ - 1200£, throw some speaker wires from Amazon for ~30£, BK products comes with 5meter cable.

ministry

Novice Member
Thanks for all that info Gasp3621. Im a little out of touch with all the different speakers/subs that are available these days and all the technical details that the amps can do these days. Its just amazing what these can do now.

I definitely need to look more into whats best for me as really I would like wall mount (just to keep misses happy lol!!) and a subwoofer that has potential to cause internal damage!! But also have a budget and I know they don't go together. What do you think to the speakers from Dali Spektor 2 5.1? I know there a little larger but is the sub any good?

Many thanks again for your help and response.

Gasp3621

Thanks for all that info Gasp3621. Im a little out of touch with all the different speakers/subs that are available these days and all the technical details that the amps can do these days. Its just amazing what these can do now.

I definitely need to look more into whats best for me as really I would like wall mount (just to keep misses happy lol!!) and a subwoofer that has potential to cause internal damage!! But also have a budget and I know they don't go together. What do you think to the speakers from Dali Spektor 2 5.1? I know there a little larger but is the sub any good?

Many thanks again for your help and response.
You can wall mount the Spektor 2s as per Dali´s claim, but they are not small and you would use wall brackets like these which could shock your missus. They can look fine at back of room, but at front could be quite in your face with large boxy speakers.

I advice you to go visit some local shop like Richer Sounds which let´s you listen and compare 2-4 different models head to head. Also you will see the size better. No need to buy anything at first trip. You can bring wife with you at 2nd visit to make sure she agrees.

You mentioned small speakers in your first post i thought you are after some compact satellite speakers like Kef E301 i linked, those can be wall mounted easily as you can turn the stand over and use couple screws to mount them. Other similar ones are B&W M1, Q Acoustics 7000i, Monitor Audio Mass Gen 1, Dali Fazon Mikro.. You haven´t tell anything about your room or posted room plan, so nobody can´t say which would be ideal for you.

When you know what to pick don´t buy 5.1 package, just 5.0 + receiver without subwoofer, just ask and they take it out and drop price! There is no matching requirements for the sub, so we can choose that freely from dedicated subwoofer manufacturer which gives you better build quality/performance/service and support for similar or lower price! You won´t regret it!

PS. Ideally you would buy speakers (5.0) and receiver together cause you get discount. Example the Spektor 2 5.1 package costs 899£, but as bundle deal with X2600H it`s only 1059£. Big savings! Then you ask take the sub out and the price drops ~200-300£.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver
Top Bottom