Pioneer LX-SC57

Philip Ponton

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have had this unit for several years, but it has now lost the ability to connect to my home network via the LAN cable.
The LAN wall socket is ok, I have connected my PC to it and have instant connectivity.
I have tried a known good LAN cable from the wall socket to the Pioneer.
Setting the Pioneer to DCHP or manually imputing the IP details makes no difference.
Interrogating the BT Home Hub 5 does not list the Pioneer.
Temporarily tuning off the MacAfee firewall makes no difference.
I used the Ping command from the PC to the Pioneer IP address, it fails. This is the same when the Pioneer is set to DCHP or manual set up.
If I try to connect to favorite radio stations it occasionally says 'Server disconnected' or just flips back to the full list of favorites. This confirms I have no connection.
The Home Hub was renewed recently, the original lost output from all LAN sockets. The new unit is working fine with the other three devices connected by LAN. (Two PC's and a Samsung smart TV). I am not certain if the issue happened exactly at the time the new Home Hub was installed.

Any diagnostic help that can be offered would be appreciated. Thank you.

Try doing a hard reset of the Pioneer (this will clear all your settings).

It has been in my head to do that but I was trying avoid it. I guess I could make a note of all the settings beforehand. I am utilising it to it's full potential, laser disc, bluray, sky box and smart TV. Also speakers in a second room.
Many thanks for your input, I will update here.

I have reset the unit back to factory default. Unfortunately I am still unable to get any Lan internet connection. I am positive the Lan socket and cable are good. If I connect my PC to them I have instant connectivity.
I have tried setting the Pioneer using DCHP and manually inputting IP details. I get 'Server error' or similar messages.
I am unable to Ping from my PC the the address I set the Pioneer to, neither does it show in my my Hub home page.
I would welcome any help that is offered. Thankyou.

Have you checked the LAN socket on the Pioneer (dust/bent pins)? Do any of the LED’s on the socket show activity?

Can you connect the Pio via wi-fi?

I have used a new long LAN cable from the wall socket and connected it to my PC in the next room. Instant connectivity with the PC. I have then connected the same cable to the Pioneer but cannot establish any connection. The Pioneer sits in a cabinet so it is not possible any physical damage could have occurred such as the LAN cable getting knocked where it enters the rear panel.
I have not checked for dust but will do. The socket has always had a LAN cable inserted so unlikely I think. I will check.
I don't see any LED activity in the socket, but I don't think I ever have. There are no small gaps around the socket to see anything. (On my PC I see this, so know what you mean)
The LX-SC57 does not have Wi-Fi as far as I know. Perhaps there is an adaptor available? (I have the Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the rear panel).
Thankyou for your input, any other ideas are very welcome.

I have now estaxblised a Pioneer AS-WL Wi-Fi adaptor is available for this model. Fortunately 'Fleabay' is listing a used one so I will proceed down that route too. I will update on here.

Just another thought, might be worth a try. Have you removed power from the Pioneer (physically disconnecting from the mains)? If not, unplug the LAN cable, pull out the mains plug and leave for a few minutes. Plug back mains back in, plug in the LAN and try the Net setup again.

Just another thought, might be worth a try. Have you removed power from the Pioneer (physically disconnecting from the mains)? If not, unplug the LAN cable, pull out the mains plug and leave for a few minutes. Plug back mains back in, plug in the LAN and try the Net setup again.
I will try that. I have reset the unit back to factory settings a couple of times but not done as you describe. I will let you know how I get on.

I disconnected the power and the LAN cables. I examined in detail the LAN soket, no signs of any damage or bent pins. After 10 minutes I reconnected the power cable and turned on. After a short while I then reconnected the LAN cable and navigated to DHCP set up. The full procedure happens, 'setting up network' etc. Then a network error message apears and no connection made. I have also input UP settings manually with no success. Sometimes the unit will display 'connecting' for a minute and then 'network error'.
The unit does not show on my BT Hub. I have input the specific IP address under 'allow' and turned off Macafee firewall.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

I disconnected the power and the LAN cables. I examined in detail the LAN soket, no signs of any damage or bent pins. After 10 minutes I reconnected the power cable and turned on. After a short while I then reconnected the LAN cable and navigated to DHCP set up. The full procedure happens, 'setting up network' etc. Then a network error message apears and no connection made. I have also input UP settings manually with no success. Sometimes the unit will display 'connecting' for a minute and then 'network error'.
The unit does not show on my BT Hub. I have input the specific IP address under 'allow' and turned off Macafee firewall.
Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
To confirm, the same LAN cable from that wall socket gives instant connectivity to my PC.

Last edited:
Thus far I have not managed to resolve the issue of connectivity via the LAN. On a side note I contacted Pioneer via the support portal on Monday 12th October. On the 16th I phoned, a recorded message saying go through the portal and the line then cut me off.
On 17th opened another ticket via the portal. To date no contact whatsoever from Pioneer in 11 days!
On Tuesday I had reason to contact Canon via their portal. A polite e-mail was received within 3 hours with all the details I needed. Issue resolved.
Pioneer have a long way to go regarding Customer Service.
If anybody has any other suggestions to resolve my issue I would be pleased to hear them. I cannot get the unit to connect to the internet via the LAN. The wall socket and LAN cable are good, if I connect them to my PC I have instant connectivity. Thank you.

Does anybody know if a proprietary brand Wireless USB Lan adaptor will work with a Pioneer LX-SC57? I did source a used Pioneer AS-WL300 but it is not working. (It came with a mains power unit of 12v output, but the unit is only 5v input. I think that may have 'cooked' it)
This one is the same set up as the Pioneer device. i.e. powered via a USB port and plugs into the LAN port of the receiver/amplifier. At under £9.00 it seems worth a punt.
Any input would be gratefully received. 300M Wireless USB Lan HDTV Adapter Converter RJ-45 Wifi Card Router Repeater | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Try doing a hard reset of the Pioneer (this will clear all your settings).
I have done a hard reset a few times now. Also unplugged it from the mains for a few hours, but no success. I am 100% sure the Lan socket and cable are good. If I plug my PC into them it has instant connectivity.
I have tired the default DHCP set up. It assigns 169.254.112.202 Everything I have read indicates that address cannot work with my BT Home Hub which is 192.168.1.254
I have tried setting the IP manually such as 192.168.1.49 Perhaps I am in the wrong range here? I have tried numerous variations of this IP setting.
The firewall is turned off. I get various messages on the Pioneer such as 'server unavailable'. I cannot see any of the IP details I have tried in my Home Hub. Also if I ping the IP address it can never be found.
Any more suggestions gratefully received.
P.S. Now two weeks since I contacted Pioneer via their web support portal. They state they will communicate by e-mail, but nothing so far. Atrocious is the only word. Currently they cannot be contacted by phone either.

To me, barring a failure of the receiver's LAN circuitry, this looks like a problem with your Router settings, particularly as you stated it has worked before the router replacement.

I have also read that the "smart setup" feature can prevent some devices connecting - try turning this "feature" off before changing anything else and try auto connect again from the Pio.

Check that the router has DHCP enabled. Also check that UPnP is enabled. See if there are any security functions enabled (other than Firewall) such as MAC address filters turned on.

I have an SC-LX701 and just had a look at my network settings (I'm using Virgin, so my numbers are different);

DHCP: ENABLED

IP Address: 192.168.0.32 (Receivers IP) Yours should be 192.168.1.xx (where xx is the unique number assigned to your Pioneer)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (Routers IP) Yours would be 192.168.1.254

DNS Server: 194.168.4.100 (my internet providers DNS) (whatever your BT internet DNS is set to)

Hope this helps!

To me, barring a failure of the receiver's LAN circuitry, this looks like a problem with your Router settings, particularly as you stated it has worked before the router replacement.

I have also read that the "smart setup" feature can prevent some devices connecting - try turning this "feature" off before changing anything else and try auto connect again from the Pio.

Check that the router has DHCP enabled. Also check that UPnP is enabled. See if there are any security functions enabled (other than Firewall) such as MAC address filters turned on.

I have an SC-LX701 and just had a look at my network settings (I'm using Virgin, so my numbers are different);

DHCP: ENABLED

IP Address: 192.168.0.32 (Receivers IP) Yours should be 192.168.1.xx (where xx is the unique number assigned to your Pioneer)

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (Routers IP) Yours would be 192.168.1.254

DNS Server: 194.168.4.100 (my internet providers DNS) (whatever your BT internet DNS is set to)

Hope this helps!
Brilliant, I will follow this. One question, is the Smart Setup feature you mention referring to the BT Hub? I think it is.
Many thanks.

With the BT hub set to Smart Set Up 'on' and UPnp 'on', the receiver finds IP 169.254.112.202 via DHCP. I cannot get the Pioneer to connect or show on the BT hub.
If I set the IP manually at 192.168.1.255 I still cannot connect.

I then tuned the Smart Set Up 'off' and the UPnP 'off'. Exactly the same result as above.
I have now reset the Home Hub using the small button on the unit and reset the Pioneer using the front controls. Still the same results as above.

I can never see the Pioneer listed within the Home Hub including going into advanced settings. If I ping the static IP address 192.168.1.255 from my PC I get a good reply. However, it lists replies from other addresses ending in .65 and .78 It does not indicate any issues or failures of that ping operation. From what I have researched this seems to relate to DNS issues?

So unfortunately I am no further forward. Incidentally, I am fairly sure the previous Pioneer set up was a static IP address, not DHCP. It worked in that fashion for several years.
With thanks, Philip.

Turn the pioneer's DHCP off. Set as static. Make the IP address of the pioneer something much lower, such as 192.168.1.23 for example.

Make sure you enter the DNS address(es) exactly as given by your router.

The unit was always set with a static IP address and worked fine for a few years. Because DHCP always chooses a 169. address I have been trying to establish connection with a static one starting with 192.168.1. I will follow your suggestion although I'm sure I have tried a low last number.
My issue is I can ping the static address I set, but replies come from my PC address. I cannot see the Pioneer anywhere in the Home Hub. The Pioneer states Server Error. I am confused to say the least.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom