• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Pioneer LX Models-external processor?

SATM

Given the quality of the LX's internal processing,is there anything to be gained by using an external processor?
If so,what price/quality level would one have to contemplate?
Any specific recommendations?

Bumtious

Banned
Absolutely no need.

There is no improvement. In fact it messes things up.

Unlike other makes that do need external processors because the sets do little or no "processing" the LX's do, and do it very well, that's what you are paying for as well as image accuracy.

Tried an external processor, lasted 2 hours before it went back.

Just enjoy what you have.

Piers

The 8g Pioneers have very good image processing in-built. External processors won't improve on this unless you choose the right external processor though they may offer calibration possibilities that the Pioneer doesn't appear to offer. Exactly what can be done with 3rd party software with the 8g screens is still under development.

Don't write off external processors. The Lumagen Radiance I have here is showing big promise though I have to admit it is used with a Fujitsu panel, not a Pioneer.

andrewfee

While I don't have any experience with the LX, I was under the impression that they use the same processing as the 5080XD I had a while back.

They do a very nice job of the processing, but there was some minor ringing when scaling up low-res content from what I remember, and it didn't cope well at all with mixed edits on PAL broadcasts, which is an area I would expect to be improved upon with an external processor.

Considering just how much they cost though, I doubt it is worth it.

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Well I disagree.....funnily enough...

The 8G's pure cinema settings are very good at getting it wrong when deciding if content is film or video. They go to film mode when it's video too often imho. The solution most folk here seem to use is to set pure cinema off...which results in lower quality on film sources. Of course, you could use the de-interlacing in your sources but for SkyHD we know it's crap already. I also believe that the upscaling in these sets can be improved upon, even although I think it's good. With SkyHD you can get processors that FORCE the box to output 576i for SD content, removing the need to switch to scart or svideo output for sd content and at the same time getting you superior auto de-interlacing and scaling in the scaler.

Then there are the calibration features mentioned by Piers. .....

Oh and what about the relatively useless noise reduction features in the 8G. Yes, they remove noise....but yes they add motion blur, posterisation and remove detail.....I'm pretty confident that a decent external processor could improve on their performance.

Costs...well for some of these features under £1000 for all, £2600 plus....Alot of money...but if you want the best.....

I will add that I have not used a Lumagen processor with one of these yet. When I'm back up in Glasgow I'm going to pop around to one of my dealers who has a Radiance and see if they'll let me play with it on their 608

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I will add that I have not used a Lumagen processor with one of these yet. When I'm back up in Glasgow I'm going to pop around to one of my dealers who has a Radiance and see if they'll let me play with it on their 608

Hi Gordon :)
If you do,will you post your feedback on this,cheers. :smashin:

Scrutinizer

Well I disagree.....funnily enough...

The 8G's pure cinema settings are very good at getting it wrong when deciding if content is film or video. They go to film mode when it's video too often imho. The solution most folk here seem to use is to set pure cinema off...which results in lower quality on film sources. Of course, you could use the de-interlacing in your sources but for SkyHD we know it's crap already. I also believe that the upscaling in these sets can be improved upon, even although I think it's good. With SkyHD you can get processors that FORCE the box to output 576i for SD content, removing the need to switch to scart or svideo output for sd content and at the same time getting you superior auto de-interlacing and scaling in the scaler.

Then there are the calibration features mentioned by Piers. .....

Oh and what about the relatively useless noise reduction features in the 8G. Yes, they remove noise....but yes they add motion blur, posterisation and remove detail.....I'm pretty confident that a decent external processor could improve on their performance.

Costs...well for some of these features under £1000 for all, £2600 plus....Alot of money...but if you want the best.....

I agree you can't leave Purecinema standard on for 50Hz video content although for 60Hz content it seems to work properly. I switch it on and off manually all the time when watching PAL film content.
I wonder with the SkyHD spoof if the box will not be in fact reinterlacing a 576p signal which would mean that you wouldn't really gain anything?
The better upscaling would that make any sense with the HD Ready models that have to re-scale anyway?
I agree with the noise reduction that does not seem to be a very strong feature in the Pioneers and I keep it switched off mostly.

S.

Bumtious

Banned
External processing is all well and good will take it, these Pios are designed to be an all in one solution

I have tried it with external processors and it does mess things up what ever settings you apply on the Pio, there are some things that need to be disabled and cant be.

I agree about cadence detection, but have always stated with mixed content leave it off. But if it is just film then it works well. At least there is detection unlike others.

These sets do not work well with processors, I've always suggested that. I for one would not recommend you waste your money.

The LX's are the best all in one tv's out there by a country mile.

I would be suggesting you go for a Panny Pro Panel and a processor if you want the benefits an external processor can give, but then you will loose out on the Kuro benefits.

Its like anything, what looks best to you.

I think some people expect miracles from processing, but remember this its not going to fix a crap signal, it alters it, weather or not it makes it better at times is debateable there is always a trade off.

But it is not good value for money IMHO to put an external processer currently with a Pio domestic panel.

You need to remember that like a Fujitsu you are paying for decent on board processing, the Fujis work well with an external processor, but you pay for that and rightly so, decent images cost.

With a panny you have vertually no on board processing, thats why they are the price they are, they need external processing, they are designed as display monitors, not tv's.

This is your choice IMO, weather or not a Panny Panel with an external processor is better than a Pio.

Each has its pros, each has its cons, which ones sre right for you is up to you, but I think there is no benefit to a Pio and an external processor.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom