Pioneer Laserdisc CLD-2850 AC3 Query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Ward, May 22, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Apologies for using the DVD forum, seemed the nearest appropriate one.

A few weeks back I bought some Amps etc. and the Lady I bought from threw in her Ex's old LD Player. Pioneer Model CLD-2850.

No remote (I have pronto CCF though), no instructions but otherwise in excellent condition.

I checked the laserdisk archive website and found some information on this model.

What I can't work out is whether it'll play AC3 LD's or if there was a convertion to this player to play AC3 LD's

The reason I ask is that this is the only LD player I've ever seen, I don't know anyone with one and I don't yet own any LD's. There is an "Optical Digital Out" on the back, situated between the RF Video phono out and the pair of standard L & R audio phono's. In addition there's 2 scarts.

This model was made in 1993. I went straight from VCR to DVD in 2000 so I'm not up at all on the history of this stuff. Was AC3 even out then?

Is this player worth keeping or should I sell it? I rather like the idea of getting Starwars, Indiana, BTTF etc. for now, I'm not worried about the expensive sets but I'd like to see these movies with a better picture/sound than my current worn VHS tapes.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    From memory, the 2850 wasn't supplied with AC3/RF out - therefore I think this had been modified.

The AC3 output from Laserdisc players is not the same as that from DVD. It is a Radio Frequence (RF) modulated signal. To use it you need an RF demodulator - either standalone or built into your Amp. Some amps do, some don't. See your Amp's manual for details. If it does, it will definitely be a separate input to the one used for DVD Dolby Digital, probably labelled AC3 RF or similar.

If your amp isn't so equipped, you will need a standalone demodulator. Try videotec in Oxford.

Note that AC3 soundtracks are only available on NTSC Laserdiscs, never PAL ones.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also note that when you begin purchasing some LDs. Do not buy DTS discs, as they are not compatible with AC-3 players. It must be specifically modded to support DTS.

I've got a stack of LDs that I may want to part with. If you're interest PM me.

You say the person you bought the amp off also sold you the player. It is highly likely then that the amp will support the players RF input (otherwise she wouldn't have had that combination!)

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't think my player HAS AC3, I was just asking whether anyone knows for sure. If it does it would have to be through the "Optical Digital Out". I'm not sure whether they mean Optical as in some method of sending the picture via Toslink cable or merely the fact that it is an optical cable.

I'll PM you about the LD's BTW

The person I bought 4 X Harmon/Kardon PA2400 Power Amps gave me the LD. I bought the rest of her kit as well, Including 2 X B&W PCS8 THX Subs and a Lexicon CP3 THX Prologic Processor (Great in stereo BTW!). I really wanted the amps/subs and the deal was good enough for me to sell the items I didn't want. As it turns out I'll probably have to sell more now to fund an MC-1 I may be buying this week.

Cheers,

Mark.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it hadn't been modded for AC-3 support then I don't think you would have an optical out or TOSlink.

If its standard pro-logic then it would only need the two red/white phono plugs.

AFAIK :)

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Definitely hasn't been modded. The TOSlink socket was definitely there since new. It has a box drawn around it on the back identical to those around all the other connectors.

Mark.

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same as my Pioneer 925 player. This has a "professional" TOSlink connector, but it was added after purchase - not by me though i bought it 2nd hand.

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but I could of course be talking complete TOSh :D

9. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    The 2850 had the optical out as standard.i just sold one myself.

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The 2850 has NO ac-3 output as standard although as Nigel suggested Videotec could modify the player and probably supply you with a demodulator if you need it. Did the amps have an onboard demodulator ?

You can play DTS laserdiscs via the optical digital output. The DTS bitstream isn't any different from a CD type bitstream apart from requiring a dts decoder.

If you got the player for free, then it wouldn't do any harm to look into the cost of having an ac-3 output added.

Brian.