• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer Kuro upscaling from DVD player

Jalapeno

Standard Member
Hi,

I have had my 42" Kuro for 10 days now and i am extremely pleased with it, even Freeview looks fantastic. Watching a SD DVD is awesome and I can now see what the picture quality is rated amongst if not the best there is for this seize tellie. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I was wondering how I should upscale when watching SD DVDs via my Denon 1930 DVD player. Use the DVD player to upscale or use the Kuro to upscale? My DVD player has a HDMI button and when you press it it cycles through different outputs: OFF, 480, 576, 768, 1080, 1080P. When I choose "OFF" nothing is output via the HDMI connection so I have to choose one of 480 to 1080P. Should I just use 768 as that is the resolution of the Kuro? What is the resolution of Standard Def DVDs anyway? When I have tried the various options I don't see any real noticable difference anyway so I was wondering if it matters at at all?

I am litte confused at the moment and I cannot find my DVD manual right now. I could not see any useful HDMI on screen settings on my DVD player.... :confused:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have had my 42" Kuro for 10 days now and i am extremely pleased with it, even Freeview looks fantastic. Watching a SD DVD is awesome and I can now see what the picture quality is rated amongst if not the best there is for this seize tellie. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I was wondering how I should upscale when watching SD DVDs via my Denon 1930 DVD player. Use the DVD player to upscale or use the Kuro to upscale? My DVD player has a HDMI button and when you press it it cycles through different outputs: OFF, 480, 576, 768, 1080, 1080P. When I choose "OFF" nothing is output via the HDMI connection so I have to choose one of 480 to 1080P. Should I just use 768 as that is the resolution of the Kuro? What is the resolution of Standard Def DVDs anyway? When I have tried the various options I don't see any real noticable difference anyway so I was wondering if it matters at at all?

I am litte confused at the moment and I cannot find my DVD manual right now. I could not see any useful HDMI on screen settings on my DVD player.... :confused:

Hi Jalapeno. :)
480 NTSC and 576 PAL DVD is SD DVD resolution. :smashin:
Can your player output @ "i" or is only say.........567p/480p? :)
576i (player) and then your TV will deinterlace to 576p,then upscale to 768p.
Set the player to 576p and then it does the deinterlacing and then sends > 576p (your TV upscales) setting the player any higher and it will do the upscaling.
If you want the player to upscale,etc..........then set to 1080p.
End of the day,you've got to decide what looks best to you. :thumbsup:
Cheers.

Kyo6JM

Don't let your player upscale, your TV's horizontal resolution is below 720p and 1080i/p, so whatever your player upscales, your TV will have to downscale again. Scaling material twice is not good for the quality. Just let your player output the discs' original resolution and the Kuro will do just fine with that material.

djmmm

I thought I might just ask here,

Since my Pioneer DV400 DVD player is multi region, I notice that everytime I play NTSC DVD, it will automatically switch its output to 480p (I set it as 576p as the default), and then if I play a PAL DVD after that, it will switch back to 566p.

Do you think there's any difference in picture quality between when it is playing NTSC on 480p compared to normal PAL on 576p?

chambeaj

Personally I've found that the picture on my 42" Pioneer looks better when I feed it with 1080p.

I use my AV amp to up-convert the S-Video output of my SKY+ box to HDMI. The Amp allows either 'Through' (which is HDMI 576i), 576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. For some reason the picture on the Pioneer looks best when setting the AV amp to up-convert to 1080p

Jalapeno

Standard Member
Thanks guys for your opinions :)

I will try 576P again and see if I can spot a difference over 1080P that I have been using. Seems apparent to me that there is no huge difference whichever mode I use, but I just wanted to be sure......

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom