Pioneer Kuro to QLED

My KRP600A has likely done 12 to 14k hours and does display the red tint albeit only noticeable on a blank screen or the bars if i am watching anything letterbox.

The picture is still fantastic which is the main reason i have not gone down the OLED route.

I don't have a Logitech but would get one if it really benefits my picture.

Would a calibration be better and also remove the red tint?

My KRP600A has likely done 12 to 14k hours and does display the red tint albeit only noticeable on a blank screen or the bars if i am watching anything letterbox.

The picture is still fantastic which is the main reason i have not gone down the OLED route.

I don't have a Logitech but would get one if it really benefits my picture.

Would a calibration be better and also remove the red tint?

Calibration wont get rid of it unless the said person whilst in the menus goes into the volts..
It was in the letterbox bars I 1st noticed it and watching in the dark and mainly horror it showed up massively and the volt change sorted it out like a new TV..
On a side note if you are more than happy with the kuro stay away from getting a demo of the panny OLED.. as that's what did it for me..1st TV that made me interested as still so much a plasma picture.. but that led me down the path of using the demo room at Richersounds..with my blurays particularly the opening credits of Halloween ...them blacks...!!! after that was the 1st time I found fault with my kuro.. but as mentioned films only sports etc the kuro is hard to beat.. although the new gz2000 I saw today looked amazing.. out of my budget though..
But if you want the remote PM me and I'll post it to you and how to lower the said voltage as wont need it for a while as front room kuro is doing just fine..:cool:

Thanks for the remote offer, i may take you up on it if i can find either someone who can assist (via phone or in person) or really clear instructions so i don't break it.

Hi
Sorry for late reply I'll tell you how to do it over phone if want easy as the remote is programmed so point at TV red/orange service light comes on screen comes up with grids and use the pioneer remote from there..
Just PM me your address and I'll send in a padded envelope.. will try again on my kuro as not done it in a while since bought the OLED..
Thanks
Chris

Thanks Chris, a really kind offer and very much appreciated.

Hi eastsoutheast,

Where are you located in Luton?
I am based in north London and have the pioneer service remote, which allows me to gain access the service menu to get rid of the red tint.
Thx
GMAN40

Hi eastsoutheast,

Where are you located in Luton?
I am based in north London and have the pioneer service remote, which allows me to gain access the service menu to get rid of the red tint.
Thx
GMAN40

GMAN
hello mate already got my one ready to send over to him..
Cheers
Gen Gizmo

Ok no probs. If he needs assistance in person, I can help as I am not to far away from him.

Plus would love to hear his PMC’s EB1i’s and compare them to my PB1i’s.

Hi all,
hope you don't mind me jumping in. My parents are currently doing their front room which involves new speakers upfront (moving from floorstanding to bookshelf) and so have looked a tv "upgrade" at the same time as we'll pulling out the AV unit and redoing the carpet/cables etc.

As you do, they looked at TV's at whilst in Sevenoaks and were interested in the Panny OLED (need to find the model number but this years around £1500) as the demo loop was crushing it compared to the LED models (as expected).

However, there is nothing wrong with the KURO beyond it being 50" and they could now fit a 55" in the same space if they upgraded + maybe some smart apps built-in and the screen would be 4k capable.

they bought the pioneer lx71 amp at the same time so believe this is locked to 1080p passthrough and their main viewing source is sky box with the occasional bluray. they will likely move to sky Q in the near term to get spotify / netlfix (again only paying for 1080p at the mo).

So, onto my asks...

1. does OLED match / improve on the kuro 500m and what are the must view demo units?
2. if so, what does the KURO hold for resale value?
3. apart from the amp being locked at 1080p, anything else to consider? I don't think they would get any benefit from a 4k screen as all of the sources would be 1080p passthrough?

Thanks, Matt.

Hi all,
hope you don't mind me jumping in. My parents are currently doing their front room which involves new speakers upfront (moving from floorstanding to bookshelf) and so have looked a tv "upgrade" at the same time as we'll pulling out the AV unit and redoing the carpet/cables etc.

As you do, they looked at TV's at whilst in Sevenoaks and were interested in the Panny OLED (need to find the model number but this years around £1500) as the demo loop was crushing it compared to the LED models (as expected).

However, there is nothing wrong with the KURO beyond it being 50" and they could now fit a 55" in the same space if they upgraded + maybe some smart apps built-in and the screen would be 4k capable.

they bought the pioneer lx71 amp at the same time so believe this is locked to 1080p passthrough and their main viewing source is sky box with the occasional bluray. they will likely move to sky Q in the near term to get spotify / netlfix (again only paying for 1080p at the mo).

So, onto my asks...

1. does OLED match / improve on the kuro 500m and what are the must view demo units?
2. if so, what does the KURO hold for resale value?
3. apart from the amp being locked at 1080p, anything else to consider? I don't think they would get any benefit from a 4k screen as all of the sources would be 1080p passthrough?

Thanks, Matt.

Probably be better to hold onto the kuro for what it's being used for.. I've still got my 5090 voltage tweaked in the front room and not planning on changing it anytime soon but have the ez952 Panasonic OLED in my den purely for films 1080p and 4khdr bluray... had a krp500 then 600 prior the OLED is better because of the 4khdr which is pretty damn amazing and a real game changer if you're a movie fanatic like me or many others.. 1080p blurays not a massive leap.. bit brighter but... poor "grainier picture" is more forgiving on the kuro and motion on TV programmes etc is supposedly better as mines just a movie machine it doesnt get sky etc passed through it.. then theres the cost of new av and 4khdr bluray player to get the upgrade over the kuro.. if it's the m model it'll go for a bit more than the krp500 a.. maybe 450quid privately but on these forums 300 if that..

For me the KRP’s are still as good today as they were 10 years ago, which is some statement considering how far technology has moved on since.

nice to see fellow Kuro owners here still enjoying their sets, my 600A KRP is coming up for 11 years old next month, had to get the media box fixed over the summer so hopefully squeeze a couple more years...love the picture to this day.........looks so natural and motion is superb

For me the KRP’s are still as good today as they were 10 years ago, which is some statement considering how far technology has moved on since.

I think the issue is that LCD just seems to out-live and destroy many superior technologies despite usually being inferior.

I think the issue is that LCD just seems to out-live and destroy many superior technologies despite usually being inferior.

Casual folks just wanted/want a nice looking flat screen to look at, at decent prices. PQ was not and is not THE parameter sadly. As long as it looks good and is big enough then they are set. Average joe at any age will not pay a hefty sum for build and Picture quality, exactly why LCD has thrived big time.

Casual folks just wanted/want a nice looking flat screen to look at, at decent prices. PQ was not and is not THE parameter sadly. As long as it looks good and is big enough then they are set. Average joe at any age will not pay a hefty sum for build and Picture quality, exactly why LCD has thrived big time.

Yep.. couldnt have said any better.. as had couple LCD TVs pack up in the bedrooms which only lasted couple yrs and weren't exactly cheap either.. only used couple hrs max some evenings..

Anyone willing to voltage adjust my krp 500
And I’m willing to pay for the service and fuel cost.

Anyone willing to voltage adjust my krp 500
And I’m willing to pay for the service and fuel cost.

Do you mean your KRP500A with only 2 hours on it? Or are we talking about a different KRP500A with red tint?

It's hard to say how an almost new KRP500A will behave after a reset. Might be better off lowering RSTP to 001 and calling it a day.

If it's a KRP500A with thousands of hours on it, a reset will throw off the greyscale and will be a PITA to correct without a colourimeter.

Do you mean your KRP500A with only 2 hours on it? Or are we talking about a different KRP500A with red tint?

Yes I’m thinking of keeping the 500A just would prefer a black without glow even though it’s Damn close.

It's hard to say how an almost new KRP500A will behave after a reset. Might be better off lowering RSTP to 001 and calling it a day.

I’ve been told not to reset. Just adjust voltages. Would lowering rstp to 001 give a black without glow.

Qleds are not up too much and I've had one for a week, it had to go it was poor.

Look guys this is going to go down like a lead balloon, the KRP500A is not a patch on an LG OLED, I have a KRP500A this one as well >https://www./news/zt65-kuro-201305283044.htm Yes that is my set so why would I lie, it is a brilliant TV but times have moved on, and I am sorry to say it but, the King Is Dead, the 2019's LG kills it and not by a little, Massively, have a nice day :smashin:.

Last edited:
Qleds are not up too much and I've had one for a week, it had to go it was poor.

Look guys this is going to go down like a lead balloon, the KRP500A is not a patch on an LG OLED, I have a KRP500A this one as well >https://www./news/zt65-kuro-201305283044.htm Yes that is my set so why would I lie, it is a brilliant TV but times have moved on, and I am sorry to say it but, the King Is Dead, the 2019's LG kills it and not by a little, Massively, have a nice day :smashin:.

Do you use yours for general TV..?? I know people complain about the motion on oleds but a customer where I'm working bought a 65inch Panasonic fz802 after telling him that I was happy with my ez952.. after I turned everything off max frame etc and on movie pro settings .. the rugby looked fine whilst I was wallpapering on Saturday.. agree the kuro is still a great TV.. fantastic all round its Brilliant but 4khdr blurays are insane on my Panasonic and cant wait to finish my den and get it back in there up and running... if pioneer still made kuros but in OLED I would buy that (be extortionately priced I bet) but unfortunately they stepped out the TV market...

Last edited:

Initially I thought it did too but after having it for a good 3 weeks all I see is inconsistencies in picture.

I found the pioneer krp to look more natural have immaculate uniformity and no banding and smooth motion overall I did not see any LG oled as a upgrade. I did fall for it initially though.
LG oled best points were showing 4K resolution and hdr. But I don’t watch much 4K and hdr.
Mostly Netflix blu ray and sky and for these sources LG oled does not kill the plasmas.

And I’ve been buying oleds since 2013 but I’ve come to a conclusion that pioneer picture is sufficient for all my sources.
The only oled I ever kept was my Samsung s9c oled. And that’s because it resembles a plasma has good uniformity good accurate colour no banding and even when I compare that to pioneer krp it doesn’t annihilate it completely.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom