Pioneer Kuro to 4k

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Killzone, May 17, 2019.

1. Killzone

Killzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Has any one gone from the Pioneer kuro to a 4k TV be it Oled or LCD and regretted it .

2. GMAN40

GMAN40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am still using my Pioneer plasma’s which are 10 years old and won’t be upgrading to OLED/LED.

3. Killzone

Killzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I am still using my 60 inch and love it , but wonder am I missing out HDR Dolby Vision ect.

4. GMAN40

GMAN40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Considering there’s not enough HDR/Dolby vision content out there, 1080p is enough for me right now.

5. buzz_lightclick

buzz_lightclick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I’m holding off 4K for a couple of years, by which time more 8K sets will be available.

Most of what I watch on Sky is only 1080i, so even 1080p blu rays seem really good and don’t feel like I’m missing out.

6. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,801
    So you cannot actually answer the OP's question. I have a LX5090 in the bedroom and it's not as good as my OLED B7, unless your wanting to heat the the room. But GoT still looks crap via broadcast granted

Yes you are. have a LX5090 in the bedroom and it's not as good as my OLED B7, unless your wanting to heat the the room. But GoT will still looks crap via broadcast granted

There is plenty, but it depends on how you want to access it granted.

8K is a myth. If Sky is your main viewing source then add at least 5 years before 8K is worth upgrading for. 8K discs will probably never happen and streaming 8K will be as good a joke only.

OK so in all seriousness, it depends on how you want to view content. If its Sky or Virgin only, don't bother. The crippling bandwidth they use far outweighs any PQ "increase". As I said, Game of Thrones still looks terrible.

But Netflix 4K/HDR can look really good. Amazon, less so, but far less 4K/HDR content only and thats if you can even find stuff that is with their laughable GUI.

iTunes also can looks really good. But if you don't have iTunes, it's a mute point

If your interested in getting the best PQ for a 4k/HDR then discs are the way to go. Many yes are upscales from the 2K DI source (also a reason that 8K is pointless as they'll never render CGI in 8K for decades), but for the most part they do look better than the 1080p Blu Ray.

You also need to go high end on LCD. FALD sets are an absolute must if you do. Edge lit sets WILL make you think WT* did I do. I did!! YOU MUST get a top end FALD LCD or go for OLED. OLED is nearest thing to plasma. But it WILL look different

Of course some just want to stick to plasma and will never want to replace them (like vinyl fans) and thats fine as they do have their particular look. Only you can judge whether the difference in PQ is something you want. Don\t judge set by looking at them in a showroom. At the most inconvenient, buy an new set via online/click-collect and if you don't like it, return it. Distance sales act or whatever means you can by all means return it. I'm sure Richer Sounds might honour a return if you by via a shop.

Once I got my shocking edge lit purchase out of the way (TBF none HDR stuff was pretty good) I'm extremely happy I changed my Kuro as my main TV.

7. Killzone

Killzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have the Sky Q box and Fire stick 4k and apple 4k TV.

8. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    There will be nothing shown in 8K for the next 10 years at least, as you'll be watching SD, HD and 4K content on your 8K TV set.

9. airjordan23

airjordan23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I went from a LX5090 to an LG B8. First couple of weeks I regretted it and considered putting the Kuro back in the living room. Sky tv looked better on the Kuro but I’ve started to appreciate the B8 more from the smart features and the 4K content on Netflix,Amazon etc. Won’t be getting rid of the 5090 though,worth keeping as s bedroom TV

10. buzz_lightclick

buzz_lightclick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Well there is such a thing as upscaling, but I take your point.
    It might be coming sooner than you think though, TV manufacturers have to keep finding ways to get us to buy new TVs : :)
    NEWS: 8K test signal beamed by SES satellites

11. Beemer3

Beemer3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After spending an hour looking at the highest end 4K tv admittedly in showrooms I have decided to keep my 50" Kuro Elite. I just cannot stand the motion artifacts even with all enhancements off.

12. GMAN40

GMAN40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    One further point to mention is i very much doubt OLED’s will last more than a couple of years let alone 10 years old. A lot of my friends who have upgraded to OLED with the allure of HDR/Dolby Vision, are now on there second/third OLED’s due to screen burn/vignetting/failures etc.
    There’s loads of threads in the OLED section re “Permanent Image Retention”
    My plasma/monitor maybe old and will heat up the room, but I can live with that, due to the fantastic picture I am getting.

I also have all settings off and only use pure mode, plus no issues with motion.

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 11:30 PM
  13. Killzone

Killzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    And it saves on heating bill during winter.
    Mine will go to the bed room,would not dare sell the best TV ever made.

14. airjordan23

airjordan23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I didn’t realise how much the Kuro heated the room until i moved it. Just had the coldest April for 10 years in my apartment :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Depends what you want it for I've kept my 5090 in the lounge which I bought new 11yrs ago and sold off my krp600 from my den previously had a krp500.
    Had the Panasonic ez952 over a yr now the Panasonic is very cinematic like a kuro VT zt settings much like traditional high end plasma pro mode, cinema, dark room etc etc.perfect blacks closest was my krp500 but not as clean, 5090 v good too.. all voltage tweaked.. the 600 looked grey compared to the OLED.. then its brighter and there's the 4khdr which is a different level... but and a big but, I only use the Panasonic for films... for day to day stuff sports, TV shows the kuro is faultless.. some bad looking blurays look smoother on the kuro as the OLED picks up more grain..because of more detail higher contrast..
    Happy as I can enjoy the best of both
    Movies good blurays + 4khdr= Panasonic OLED...
    TV.. sports, grainy blurays = kuro..

16. eastsoutheast

eastsoutheast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Still love my KRP600 and KRP500 and whilst OLED looks good I still see artefacts I don’t see on my Pioneer’s.

17. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    True that... feel the heat from it in the front room and had a 5090 to tie me over in my den (whilst I awaited the ez952) which I passed onto my friend and in the summer months in the evenings watching a film I was sweating it up man..o_O

18. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I viewed my Panasonic OLED in Richersounds as they have a demo room in the branch near me..
    Lights on off and messed about with the settings .. As I mentioned I also only use mine for movies and as you quoted the hard copy of a 4khdr bluray movie disc is the way to go.. in that regard the difference in the 4khdr to full HD of that and my kuro as good a TV it is, was a big step up but all things aside considering my pioneer is 11yrs old now there should be that difference if I'm honest..