Pioneer Kuro replacement

christm

Standard Member
Hi folks
My beloved 50' Pioneer Kuro that I bought in 2007 is on it's very last legs so starting to do some research on what to replace it with.
Likely looking for 50' again - watch a lot of Sport and Movies.
Budget wide, probably up to £1500 ideally but could go a little higher if it would make a huge difference.
Looked at about a thousand threads now so mind is melted - any recommendations of what to look out for with Black Friday coming up etc?

Thanks
Martin

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi folks
My beloved 50' Pioneer Kuro that I bought in 2007 is on it's very last legs so starting to do some research on what to replace it with.
Likely looking for 50' again - watch a lot of Sport and Movies.
Budget wide, probably up to £1500 ideally but could go a little higher if it would make a huge difference.
Looked at about a thousand threads now so mind is melted - any recommendations of what to look out for with Black Friday coming up etc?

Thanks
Martin

You've got a pretty solid budget if you are looking at LCD, and also OLED but if you can push higher then this brings in even more OLED's. Have you decided which technology you want? If it's LCD then look at the XH9505 and the Q90T. OLED's I would be looking at the LG's or Sonys.

christm

Standard Member
Undecided on what technology - would possibly lean towards OLED but could easily be swayed the other way - any advice?

martin 39

I went from a 5090 kuro to a Panasonic oled. Could not be happier to me it has all the benefits of the pioneer but with smart tv and 4k hdr.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Undecided on what technology - would possibly lean towards OLED but could easily be swayed the other way - any advice?

They both have pros and cons. OLED's have almost pure blacks, great contrast and you don't see blooming and they have the wide angle viewing. They are perfect if you like movies and darker room viewing but don't get as bright as the top end LCD's and clearly there is the risk of screen burn and motion isn't as good. They also seem to have issues with tinting and banding which seems to really annoy some OLED owners...a bit like you can get Dirty screen effect with LCDs. Top end LCD's, like Sony's, have the best motion, and can pump out some great brightness and HDR and don't have the risk of burn in. They are brilliant for brighter rooms and great all rounders for gaming etc. I have a Sony LCD as I have three young kids and can't risk burn in.

Dodgexander

Which is better suited to you?

Once you make a decision on which tech is better suited, makes your choices easier.

martin 39

Thanks Martin - any particular model?
I personally think going from a plasma to a oled is the natural progression. Any oled will suit this purpose. I went with Panasonic because to me they just look so natural with film out of the box. Mine is a few yrs old i have the fz802. But a gz 950 hz980 or hz1000 will be better due to both having dolby vision and hdr 10 +

Dodgexander

That makes comparisons a bit easier. Each OLED uses the same panel made by an LG factory, so the picture quality difference between one OLED and another OLED is very small.

This is a stark difference from LCD TVs, that often use completely different panels produced in different factories.

So what separates X OLED to Y OLED? Picture processing, aesthetic design, smart TV and connectivity.

LG OLEDs are the most all-round future proof TVs, they have the most up to date connectivity and great smart TV. Picture accuracy out of the box is good. They have good upscaling, but their motion is their biggest weakness. Some people get along with it more than others. With LG the BX has worse upscaling than the CX and up, whilst the GX is the first to come with improved sound. The WX is the premium TV with a dedicated soundbar.

Panasonic OLEDs differ from LG with picture processing and picture accuracy, their motion has less complaints and their TVs are the closest to the director's intent out of all OLEDs. They do however have a more basic smart platform and older HDMI connectivity. As with LG they have base models like the HZ980 and HZ1000 but you need the HZ1500 or higher to get better sound. The HZ2000 is a special TV with tweaks to brightness and power to make it have brighter HDR picture quality.

Philips strength is with motion. Upscaling is very good also. They have good picture accuracy. They run Android TV which isn't fantastic, but they have ambilight which some people enjoy. With their models the 8 series is the base in 2020 whilst the 9 series has better audio built in. Older HDMI connectivity on these models.

Sony's strength is with motion and sound. Upscaling is very good also. They have good picture accuracy. They also run Android TV but unlike Philips all of their TVs come with good sound built in with their acoustic surface technology. Older HDMI connectivity on these models.

Overall you'd have to study the TVs side by side to notice a difference, so its really just a matter of which ticks the most boxes for you, there's no one-clear-winner.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom