Pioneer kuro- can you damage by having contrast set high?

TokenUser

Dear all,

I have set my sky HD contrast is to "low". In order to get the BBC HD test card white to 35 ftL I have had to set my PDP-508XD contrast to 52 (out of 60 I think). This is much higher than for my PS3 & tuner inputs which are around 30. The picture looks superb, and according to my measurements is very close to the REC709 standard.

I'm a bit worried that this high contrast setting could damage or reduce the life of the TV. I don't have whites clipping or anything so I'd assume the phosphors will be OK, I'm thinking more about the drive electronics.

Any advice from the experts appreciated, as I would like to leave the Sky box on "low", since the "medium" setting was clipping whites which I could not recover with calibration.

Thanks.

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't worry about it, in theory you are reducing drive on the input and levelling it out by raising it on the display.
Many of the ISF screens have been calibrated at that for daytime on bluray etc. anyway.

Just enjoy it mate.

TokenUser

Cheers.

Silver Serpent

Dear all,

I have set my sky HD contrast is to "low". In order to get the BBC HD test card white to 35 ftL I have had to set my PDP-508XD contrast to 52 (out of 60 I think). This is much higher than for my PS3 & tuner inputs which are around 30. The picture looks superb, and according to my measurements is very close to the REC709 standard.

I'm a bit worried that this high contrast setting could damage or reduce the life of the TV. I don't have whites clipping or anything so I'd assume the phosphors will be OK, I'm thinking more about the drive electronics.

Any advice from the experts appreciated, as I would like to leave the Sky box on "low", since the "medium" setting was clipping whites which I could not recover with calibration.

Thanks.

What make of Sky HD Box do you have, and how do you know white is being clipped on Medium?

On the Thomsons and Samsungs, Medium is seen as optimum and neither clip white at that setting. There is no definte word on other boxes (Amstrad/Pace), but there is a good chance it will be the same. I had a Pace connected to my KRP for a period of time and initially thought that Medium clipped white, just by eyeing content, but I'm not sure. After further experimentation, I think I was wrong. I'm using a Thomson (my first box) with upgraded PSU and Hard Drive now by the way.

I started a thread on the ISF Forum last year about the Sky Contrast Setting, as there was alot of confusion as to what's correct, or optimum to use, so I thought feedback from experienced members (ISF Calibrators) would hopefully iron it out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/isf-calibration/952060-isf-opinion-sky-contrast-setting.html

TokenUser

What make of Sky HD Box do you have, and how do you know white is being clipped on Medium?

On the Thomsons and Samsungs, Medium is seen as optimum and neither clip white at that setting. There is no definte word on other boxes (Amstrad/Pace), but there is a good chance it will be the same. I had a Pace connected to my KRP for a period of time and initially thought that Medium clipped white, just by eyeing content, but I'm not sure. After further experimentation, I think I was wrong. I'm using a Thomson (my first box) with upgraded PSU and Hard Drive now by the way.

I started a thread on the ISF Forum last year about the Sky Contrast Setting, as there was alot of confusion as to what's correct, or optimum to use, so I thought feedback from experienced members (ISF Calibrators) would hopefully iron it out.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/isf-calibration/952060-isf-opinion-sky-contrast-setting.html

Hi,

I have an Amstrad box. I think I have read your thread, and others but it seems that there is no consensus on which is the correct setting. Maybe I will write to Amstrad myself to find out. I thought that the medium setting was clipping whites-- when watching the snooker the players shirts were badly blown out.

I'm not entirely comfortable in using the low setting, and having to dial in such a high contrast on my Kuro to compensate for it though.

Silver Serpent

Hi,

I have an Amstrad box. I think I have read your thread, and others but it seems that there is no consensus on which is the correct setting. Maybe I will write to Amstrad myself to find out. I thought that the medium setting was clipping whites-- when watching the snooker the players shirts were badly blown out.

I'm not entirely comfortable in using the low setting, and having to dial in such a high contrast on my Kuro to compensate for it though.

There is no experienced feedback on what is the optimum setting for the Amstrad, if you have the new EPG and now can select between three contrast settings.

It's pretty poor if Medium does clip white, and Low is so Low that you have to compensate so harshly at the display end, so I understand and agree with how you're thinking.

I suppose there is no way you can change the box for a different make?

TokenUser

There is no experienced feedback on what is the optimum setting for the Amstrad, if you have the new EPG and now can select between three contrast settings.

It's pretty poor if Medium does clip white, and Low is so Low that you have to compensate so harshly at the display end, so I understand and agree with how you're thinking.

I suppose there is no way you can change the box for a different make?

From what I have read on this and other forums, more people seem to go for the low setting than high. This is from a very low sample set though!!

This weekend I'll probably have a go at another REC709 calibration based on the medium setting, and try and view some recordings with both setups to decide which one is best.

TBH I would probably find it hard to convince the Sky people that there is a fault warranting a new box, and my missus will kill me if we have to replumb the cabling yet again.

TokenUser

OK just to close this thread off I did do the calibration with both medium and low contrast setting. I did the best I could get to REC709 adjusting gamma, color temp etc on my Pio. My conclusions were that neither were perfect, but overall the medium is the better setting.

The low setting was crushing blacks too much for me. IMO medium contrast is too much contrast but does give better detail at the bottom end. Hope this helps someone.

From what I have read on this and other forums, more people seem to go for the low setting than high. This is from a very low sample set though!!

This weekend I'll probably have a go at another REC709 calibration based on the medium setting, and try and view some recordings with both setups to decide which one is best.

TBH I would probably find it hard to convince the Sky people that there is a fault warranting a new box, and my missus will kill me if we have to replumb the cabling yet again.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom