Pioneer KURO 9G Owners Thread part 14

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of the part 13 thread found here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1497879-pioneer-kuro-9g-owners-thread-part-13-a.html

Last Post
Scooby2000 said:
I don't think people necessarily believe everything they read. Equally it would be difficult for people to ascertain which is the correct/false information. Personally I don't take too much stock in reviews, the only one I really admire is David Mackenzie at TV Reviews – Best LED LCD, 3D Plasma & Smart TVs. I feel the information present there is unbiased and of a sound nature. His observations and thoughts are well administered, and gives a well balanced insight into a panel.

Can you understand why there would be some hesitation to the integrity of the education available on the TPS day? It is undeniably part of a sales pitch, even if the information is accurate.

Some owners may feel its an attempt to make people feel like they need to jump ship. It would be a shame for enthusiast to dish out money on potentially inferior products (not regards to picture quality, I mean with respects to Panasonic's latest problems of VBI/MVBI, image retention etc).

Believe me the majority of readers are not that knowledgeable and not only believe what they read but also what sales people tel them.

The TPS meet clearly has a promotional edge to it, why shouldn't it? Its costing them money. At the same time I have seen first hand how helpful the last meet was for members, there's no pressure to buy and as an individual I applaud what they are doing and would love to see other retailers do the same.
At the last meet you could clearly see issues with the Panasonic sets, they weren't hidden people were invited to see them for themselves.

Im going to see the VT as Im thinking of buying that or a 60"E6500, I know from last meet how good the Panasonic is , this time I want to see for myself how bad DFC is and the band again, if I don't like what I see I won't buy one, not that I can buy at the moment anyway.

This is all my opinion to be clear not AVForums.

Curly

Does anyone have the short column supports for the TS36B stand that they're not using? I bought a 5090 on here last week and it came with the TS25 stand. I had to remove the stand to get it home and when I tried to reattach it, the holes didn't line up. I think the stand had previously been connected with just two bolts into the incorrect holes. From what I've read, I should be good to use this stand as long as I'm using the supports from the TS36B or maybe even the longer supports from the TS25B (which I don't have). I'd prefer to find the short supports for the TS36B though as I want the TV to sit at the right height and I don't want to have to go out and buy a new stand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well guys i thought i would post a little on here after going to TPS on saturday and having a very long and enjoyable demo off the vt50 range. Now i dont want to start a whats better war i just want to air my own view of which i am entitled to after seeing all the vt range calibrated and coming home to my 5090. I have to start by saying the guys at TPS were brilliant and very informed on the product they are selling and nothing is too much for these guys, there reputation on these forums is well deserved and earned. However imho this current range of tv's even running a lumagen mini do not come close to the Pioneer LX or KRP's, i sat with my girlfriend who was impartial and actually wanted us to change to a 3d set and the first thing she said upon viewing 2d content on the set was that it seemed dull, now whilst i agreed with her to a certain extent it wasn't until seeing a little more hd stuff that i realsied how much brighter the Pioneers go and how much more range to my eye at least they have. The panasonic was a long way off producing Kuro blacks and its fine detail whilst being a sharper set certainly did not produce a more filmic image, again this is to my eye and i am not in any way coming on here to anger vt owners. I really enjoyed looking at this set and had it not been for the fact that i came home to the Kuro i own and know so well i would possibly say its panasonics best set yet. But and again this is my honest opionion it has a long way to go to persuade me to sell the Pio[which coincidentally i nearly did without seeing a vt properly setup].

Well guys i thought i would post a little on here after going to TPS on saturday and having a very long and enjoyable demo off the vt50 range. Now i dont want to start a whats better war i just want to air my own view of which i am entitled to after seeing all the vt range calibrated and coming home to my 5090. I have to start by saying the guys at TPS were brilliant and very informed on the product they are selling and nothing is too much for these guys, there reputation on these forums is well deserved and earned. However imho this current range of tv's even running a lumagen mini do not come close to the Pioneer LX or KRP's, i sat with my girlfriend who was impartial and actually wanted us to change to a 3d set and the first thing she said upon viewing 2d content on the set was that it seemed dull, now whilst i agreed with her to a certain extent it wasn't until seeing a little more hd stuff that i realsied how much brighter the Pioneers go and how much more range to my eye at least they have. The panasonic was a long way off producing Kuro blacks and its fine detail whilst being a sharper set certainly did not produce a more filmic image, again this is to my eye and i am not in any way coming on here to anger vt owners. I really enjoyed looking at this set and had it not been for the fact that i came home to the Kuro i own and know so well i would possibly say its panasonics best set yet. But and again this is my honest opionion it has a long way to go to persuade me to sell the Pio[which coincidentally i nearly did without seeing a vt properly setup].

great review glad you came to your senses lol:D

SHAGGER said:
great review glad you came to your senses lol:D

Really nice guys and a great afternoon but didn't hold a candle to my 5090 in any way.

stucarblne said:
So are you still going to try an external 3D processor for your Kuro ? :smashin:

I'm trying to get a 60 as the one thing I did realise is I can accomadate a bigger screen in my lounge no problems. I will then look at the hd fury but the feedback on here is limited.

Anybody know if a detailed comparison of the VT/LX is available anywhere? We're any results of the test posted, or are due to be posted?

The TPS meet had one there and there saying it was swings and roundabouts between them, but then again they would say that wouldn't they :eek: :devil:.

But reading in between the lines how can a 4 year old set still stand up to the best sets available today , just a tad of nepotism if you ask me :rolleyes:.

And if a 5090 can do that, well the KRP must still kick butt :D.

Hi Inferno

Do you know if TPS / ******** is posting any info on the results of the comparison?

Cheers.
Mike.

Hi Inferno

Do you know if TPS / ******** is posting any info on the results of the comparison?

Cheers.
Mike.

I don't know mate, think you may need to keep an eye on the TPS meet thread if there is to be any, but i somehow do not think he will be dwelling on the Pioneer too much.

Inferno said:
The TPS meet had one there and there saying it was swings and roundabouts between them, but then again they would say that wouldn't they :eek: :devil:.

But reading in between the lines how can a 4 year old set still stand up to the best sets available today , just a tad of nepotism if you ask me :rolleyes:.

What pics i saw of the 5090 on the tps thread it looked much the same as the panny's color wise (but most will look similar after being well and properly calibrated) but the LX looked a bit brighter i thought. The LED looked completly different (worse) for obvious reasons (because it's an LED :rotfl). But it is really nearly impossible to say for sure with mobile images as good as the images are for a mobile.

Would really need to see them all together in real time tbh

Inferno said:

It was a 5090h, a pioneer set never released in the UK & is the same as a KRP

aandpwoodley said:

No its not the same as a krp - it's different in quite a few ways. Like the 500a shares the same menus as the US 111 - there are similarities - but that's where it ends.

Whether it was or not a a few people on here have one, it is the same as a lx5090 but with the menu system of the KRP and i think with the hd satellite too but its not the same as the KRP iirc.

No its not the same as a krp - it's different in quite a few ways. Like the 500a shares the same menus as the US 111 - there are similarities - but that's where it ends.

You posted that as i was typing mine :laugh:.

Is it possible to connect a Samsung Galaxy 3 via an HDTV MHL to my Pioneer Kuro 5080. This would be via an HDMI lead.

It allows you to look at the contents of your mobile, photo's etc.

Just not sure how you would do it.

I don't know whether you can with your Samsung but i can connect my Xperia to my set via a hdmi cable and view my phones photos, just put the set onto hdmi 2 or wherever you plug the hdmi cable into and it shows them.

Mind you my phone has a mini hdmi out socket.

Thought i would share my recent experiences of buying my most recent display.

After careful consideration of what to buy and having the rare opportunity of buying a showroom condition krp500 i had to make a choice.

Apparently the closest thing is the vt50 from Panasonic. But after viewing one on numerous occasions i 'genuinely' can't see what all the fuss is about. Yeah it has 3D and smart tv features built in as standard. But all this can be added to any 9G Kuro if one should so wish.

But there are undeniable issues with the Panasonic that don't need repeated here again. Although it IS a nice display i don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.

Where Pioneer tripped themselves up is the excessive 'noise' on (some) of their screens.

But THE reality is... when there is a clean one... that is exactly what it is - (especially with HD). No owner needs to be reminded on how good these are with sd.

Watching for example District 9 on a 'clean' KRP is like watching moving digital stills - well it was done with a digital camera lol. (But this is a prime example of how clean a 9G can be). Incredibly difficult to see any noise even with nose up at that screen basically and THAT is the reality.

So i had to make the choice and with a 55" vt able to be bought for even less than the basically new 500 - there was still only ever going to be one winner.

In fact if i was going to buy a panny today it would be my forth choice behind the 9G's and a Samsung plasma.

"Supposed fan boy or not".

:smashin:

Well all I can say is that after reading the TPS thread I do feel vindicated for standing my ground against those who deny these TVs are noisy. Some even deny the noise is visible beyond a few inches LOL

Plenty of people at the meet stated the Panny TVs are cleaner than the kuro.

The kuro is a very good TV on HDTV and excellent on SDTV if you sit well back to let the dither noise blend in the colours. That's what you are meant to do IMO.

On SD material the dithering also kind of helps break up the artefacts inherent in MPEG SDTV material and this is partly why the Pios look good on SDTV as I think the dithering softens away the blocky artefacts on MPEG transmissions.

But other TVs are better on HD material if you sit closer because they need less dithering and also look less soft than the kuro on HD.

I can see mine dither when i walk past it about 2 foot, but i don't watch it from that distance its too close and would give me motion sickness if i did.

I own a ST50 and my KRP kicks its butt in every which way, your opinion is very well noted ad nauseam in fact, but that wont stop you :eek: :devil:.

Last edited:
That may be true but clean doesn't always translate into natural.

In my opinion the Pioneer has a combination of attributes that when all put together create an extremely natural and watchable picture across a variety of sources.

That may be one of the reasons they are so well regarded.

So perhaps what some see as a technical weakness may be seen by others as a strength.

It's all down to personal opinion, taste and priorities really.

lexicon said:
That may be true but clean doesn't always translate into natural.

In my opinion the Pioneer has a combination of attributes that when all put together create an extremely natural and watchable picture across a variety of sources.

That may be one of the reasons they are so well regarded.

So perhaps what some see as a technical weakness may be seen by others as a strength.

It's all down to personal opinion, taste and priorities really.

I have to agree with you there

:rotfl:
I can see mine dither when i walk past it about 2 foot, but i don't watch it from that distance its too close and would give me motion sickness if i did.

I own a ST50 and my KRP kicks its butt in every which way, your opinion is very well noted ad nauseam in fact, but that wont stop you :eek: :devil:.

Ermmm, I also noted you put up multiple posts bleating in defence of your TV on the TPS thread after it came under threat from plenty of people who stated the kuro was noisy.

your bleating is very well noted ad nauseam in fact, but that wont stop you :eek: :devil:. ;)

:love: You never let me down :laugh:.

Anyhooo go watch ITV1HD there's a cracking team on mate ;).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom