Pioneer Kuro 9G Announced in USA - 5 x Deeper Blacks!

AlexMcIver

Novice Member
It certainly doesn't look 5x blacker, there is clearly a difference but it isn't very significant. And it was quite cheeky taking the pictures of the LCD at such an angle when the highest contrast is observed when viewing straight on.

badbob

Banned
Someone should alter the brightness relative to real viewing..no way is LCD that grey. But at least give the idea of absolute blackness relative to each other.

I'll say under normal viewing conditions, backlight 4/10 identical to "original kuro" compared to the black surround area.

iaTa

Novice Member
I think it's very hard to show the difference in a photo. I have read early opinions that state it is incredible how much the 3D effect is improved with the new Kuro due to the improved black levels. It really is that noticeable supposedly.

Does anyone know how long it took for the previous Kuro to make its way over to the UK?

aznable

Novice Member
What looks stunning to you? Competitors products are clearly rigged and 9G is still a far cry from extreme contrast concept.
go out and buy another tv (i suggest LG or samsung they are rigged :laugh: and they very cheap) ... you will save a lot of money when the extreme constrast will be out

sampo

Novice Member
go out and buy another tv
So I can't say anything negative about Pioneer? I'll consider pros and cons before making my choice. At least the LCDs are rigged. The Samsung LED has deeper blacks than 8G in starfield scenes when set up properly.

madshi

So I can't say anything negative about Pioneer? I'll consider pros and cons before making my choice. At least the LCDs are rigged. The Samsung LED has deeper blacks than 8G in starfield scenes when set up properly.
No, it hasn't, at least not at the viewing angle shown in that photos... ;) You know, black level gets much worse with LCDs if you move away from the center of the screen...

sampo

Novice Member
You know, black level gets much worse with LCDs if you move away from the center of the screen.
Yes it does, but only gradually. It isn't like super black and then super glow. There are some upcoming fixes to this issue like dynamic viewing angle that uses rgb leds, but I don't know if any manufacturers includes this tech to 2008 products.

andrewfee

Novice Member
Someone should alter the brightness relative to real viewing..no way is LCD that grey.
That is impossible to show in a photograph on a screen. (unless that screen is a Pio 9G or something with even better black levels, in a completely controlled environment) The photos are only good at showing relative differences in black level, not absolute.

It seems that with medium to high-contrast images, there is only a marginal improvement with the 9G Plasmas, but low-contrast images start showing the ‘5x’ improvement.

For example; in this image there is quite a big difference between the 8G and 9G:

But with images that have more bright objects on-screen, the difference becomes a lot smaller:

That's not necessarily a bad thing though – with more bright objects on-screen, your eye automatically perceives black levels to be lower than they actually are (this is why ‘dynamic contrast’ processing exists) so chances are that it won't be apparent in actual viewing.

What looks stunning to you? Competitors products are clearly rigged and 9G is still a far cry from extreme contrast concept.

http://i27.tinypic.com/34yoflv.png
Don't do this. It has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

And I don't see why you always claim that these are rigged, Pioneer just leaves the other screens at the factory defaults, I believe.

sampo

Novice Member
And I don't see why you always claim that these are rigged, Pioneer just leaves the other screens at the factory defaults, I believe.
Well if other displays are optimized for show room environment and Pioneer is optimized for black level performance, does the black level demo seem fair to you? :suicide:

aznable

Novice Member
Well if other displays are optimized for show room environment and Pioneer is optimized for black level performance, does the black level demo seem fair to you? :suicide:
i guess we dont care because we reed the lab measurements of the first gen of kuros that destroy every other plasma/lcd tvin the back lavel/contrast ratio departement, so if the new gen of kuros would be just on par with the old ones, would destroy the competition; but i dont think the new models will be just on par with the old ones.

so i really dont know what we are talking about in this thread. if you dont like pioneer go out and buy another tv sampo :devil:

sampo

Novice Member
i guess we dont care because we reed the lab measurements of the first gen of kuros that destroy every other plasma/lcd tvin the back lavel/contrast ratio departement
I guess you haven't read Samsung LCD measurements. The TV has infinite contrast, but 2007 implementation wasn't stable enough. And again I'll consider buying 9G, but I won't make any decisions based on few pictures.

aznable

Novice Member
I guess you haven't read Samsung LCD measurements. The TV has infinite contrast, but 2007 implementation wasn't stable enough. And again I'll consider buying 9G, but I won't make any decisions based on few pictures.
ahahah...yap the one samsung declared a 500.000:1 contrast...with a full off screen we will get no light emitted; too bad that with something on the screen it the backs are the same dark grey lcd ones.

http://www.*/image/hdtv/Samsung-LE52F96BD/flare.jpg

they just have to place 2 millions of leds to overcome problems like this...but they placed just 96...long way to go. if you want inifinite constrast you have to wait just another year (i cant wait because i want a good tv now)

sampo

Novice Member
with a full off screen we will get no light emitted; too bad that with something on the screen it the backs are the same dark grey lcd ones.

they just have to place 2 millions of leds to overcome problems like this...but they placed just 96...long way to go. if you want inifinite constrast you have to wait just another year (i cant wait because i want a good tv now)
Well that is not quete true. There are 150000:1+ intracene contrast measurements for that Samsung, which means that display shows also something else than black. I think 1080P KUROs get something like 10000:1? And for that 2 million leds comment:

But with images that have more bright objects on-screen, the difference becomes a lot smaller:

That's not necessarily a bad thing though – with more bright objects on-screen, your eye automatically perceives black levels to be lower than they actually are (this is why ‘dynamic contrast' process

aznable

Novice Member
Well that is not quete true. There are 150000:1+ intracene contrast measurements for that Samsung, which means that display shows also something else than black. I think 1080P KUROs get something like 10000:1? And for that 2 million leds comment:

so what we are talking about? if you think the f96 is so cool, buy that tv that would be a lot cheaper than new line of kuro :)
(but we all knows that's not true)

enator

so what we are talking about? if you think the f96 is so cool, buy that tv that would be a lot cheaper than new line of kuro :)
(but we all knows that's not true)
ehhhe don't send him back to f96 :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

JeffD

While the Samsung LCD's are a step in the right direction to compete with plasma on black level, there are still major flaws. On the present LED back lit LCD's the black level is not uniform and is significantly greyer around bright objects. In order to create uniform black LED's in the millions is needed which I don't think we'll see for a long time.

With any Plasma, while the blacks will be greyer with lots of bright objects on screen, at least the black level will be uniform across the screen.

sampo

Novice Member
In order to create uniform black LED's in the millions is needed which I don't think we'll see for a long time.
You don't need millions of leds for this, because human eye would see the halos anyway around bright objects. Try looking into bright light in the dark for example.

JeffD

You don't need millions of leds for this, because human eye would see the halos anyway around bright objects. Try looking into bright light in the dark for example.
I can't remember the exact number, but you most certainly do need significantly more controllable LED area's than the screens have at present, which although possible is just not economical at the moment. Still a very promising backlight technology for the future though if OLED doesn't become commercially viable at large screen sizes.

aznable

Novice Member
I can't remember the exact number, but you most certainly do need significantly more controllable LED area's than the screens have at present, which although possible is just not economical at the moment. Still a very promising backlight technology for the future though if OLED doesn't become commercially viable at large screen sizes.
i heard that the black of samsung's oled is browninsh

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett