Pioneer Kuro 5090 picture vs Panny VT50?

newavfan

Got my pio one month after its launch in 2008 & been v happy with it.
Does the VT50 have a better picture quality in sd & hd?
That's my criteria for changing. Don't care about 3D or smart tv features.
Cheers.:)

stucarblne

newavfan said:
Got my pio one month after its launch in 2008 & been v happy with it.
Does the VT50 have a better picture quality in sd & hd?
That's my criteria for changing. Don't care about 3D or smart tv features.
Cheers.:)
Have a look over on the VT50 owners thread mate, there seems to be an awful lot of issues being reported. I think they give a nice image though, but probably overall not as good as your lx.

rumblesushi

Novice Member
I haven't seen a VT50 yet, but if it's anything like the 2011 models, your Pioneer beats it in SD by a mile, and on dark scenes.

stucarblne

rumblesushi said:
I haven't seen a VT50 yet, but if it's anything like the 2011 models, your Pioneer beats it in SD by a mile, and on dark scenes.
I saw the 50 a while back and imho i never thought the VT50 went as dark as the LX. Can't speak for the SD tbh, i never witnessed any.

Last edited:

newavfan

Sorry for delay in responding guys...been away on biz.
Thanks for replying.
Seems like I should stay put with my lx5090.
This is amazing...4 years elapsed in cutting edge tech & there is nothing worth upgrading too.
Another example of a world where style beats substance?
When I went from a 3rd gen Fujitsu to the lx there was a leap in pic quality.

stucarblne

Sure is.

Suppose if you wanted a new screen now for black only you would have no choice but to get a screen with banding and clouding :whoops:

But to dodge that you would need to settle for a higher mll ie: Sammy.

Sticking with the LX you get the Kuro black and none of the above : ) - or 3D mind you.

Personally i like 3D, hope i am doing the right thing waiting on a good external 3D processor, but i hope the prices drop low fast if nobody buys them lol. But i can live without it though and more importantly i want a Lumagen processor first

Believe it or not if you splashed out the 2000 or so that you would spend on a new tv, buy a lumagen for your LX and your probably taking your LX up another level anyway if you get an expert calibrator to set it up for you and will probaly have a few hundred quid left. And the lumi will still be there when you eventually rid the Pio anyway. :thumbsup: : )

BobbyMac

Banned
May as well close the thread then :blush:

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Just make sure you check out a VT in the flesh before making your final decission.

stucarblne

newavfan said:
Sorry for delay in responding guys...been away on biz.
Thanks for replying.
Seems like I should stay put with my lx5090.
This is amazing...4 years elapsed in cutting edge tech & there is nothing worth upgrading too.
Another example of a world where style beats substance?
When I went from a 3rd gen Fujitsu to the lx there was a leap in pic quality.
You have nothing to worry about mate, believe me, seriously you dont :thumbsup:

Nevaborn

Please dont be swayed so easily by the Kuro fan club. The differences in pq are said to be very minimal against a VT. add 3D and connectivity features and slightly improved calibration controls it makes it as good a a Kuro.

You REALLY need to see a VT in person in a proper viewing environment.

Both are great tvs at the top of the domestic market.

stucarblne

Nevaborn said:
Please dont be swayed so easily by the Kuro fan club. The differences in pq are said to be very minimal against a VT. add 3D and connectivity features and slightly improved calibration controls it makes it as good a a Kuro.

You REALLY need to see a VT in person in a proper viewing environment.

Both are great tvs at the top of the domestic market.
You seem to be the one who seems to be sounding like the fanboy now.

I never said he HAD to keep his Kuro, i only merely implied he wouldn't need to worry about it as such.

Nevaborn

stucarblne said:
You seem to be the one who seems to be sounding like the fanboy now.

I never said he HAD to keep his Kuro, i only merely implied he wouldn't need to worry about it as such.
No offence Stu but you've been implying a lot how much better than the VT the Kuro is in a few threads.

I am no fanboy, all i am saying is there isn't this wide gap that can be portrayed. You need to see the tv and make a judgement yourself.

My view is in a proper viewing environment both are equally good. I simply listed the features the VT has that the Kuro doesn't and stated this makes it a closer choice than it may seem else wise.

stucarblne

Nevaborn said:
No offence Stu but you've been implying a lot how much better than the VT the Kuro is in a few threads.

I am no fanboy, all i am saying is there isn't this wide gap that can be portrayed. You need to see the tv and make a judgement yourself.

My view is in a proper viewing environment both are equally good. I simply listed the features the VT has that the Kuro doesn't and stated this makes it a closer choice than it may seem else wise.
Perhaps you never read any of my posts, but i have seen one, said i really liked it, a good few weeks ago now.

And whenever a kuro thread was hijacked about how the VT was better, i basically along with a few others took it in a lighthearted manner.

This all seems to be taken a little bit all to seriously these days.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I think there are loads of fan boy comments here but I will be as honest as I can.

I'm defiantly a Kuro fan boy, I love my LX5090, it's served me well & still offers an amazing picture that is very hard to beat, it's built like a tank & will last for many years to come.

The blacks still amaze me & I love it, however it's feels a bit small now so I've gone for the 65VT50 & have it calibrated.

3D is of no interest so that's irrelevant to me, the picture quality was equally amazing with the blacks being very close, I did not see them side by side so I can't say which TV has better blacks buts there not much in it.

The VT has a cleaner picture & suffers far less dithering than the Kuro but again it's not bothered me at all over the last four or so years.

The VT has the well published banding issues but once calibrated is a total non issue FOR ME AND THAT'S WHAT'S IMPORTANT.

Now the important bit, well for me anyway, I wanted a bigger screen, if I could have bought a new Pioneer then 100% I would get one, but I can't so have gone to another equally brilliant but different screen.

So to all you lovers & haters, enjoy what you have & allows others to enjoy theirs, they are both great TV's, different but both great so enjoy.

Last edited:

Nevaborn

stucarblne said:
Perhaps you never read any of my posts, but i have seen one, said i really liked it, a good few weeks ago now.

And whenever a kuro thread was hijacked about how the VT was better, i basically along with a few others took it in a lighthearted manner.

Well you can be light hearted and joke about things but you got to be aware your words could impact somebodys buying choice on here. I will not defend people who hijack Kuro threads tho and bad mouth the Kuro.

We all love AV and can all agree the Kuro was pioneers masterpiece and years ahead of the competition only now just having a worthy rival.

The problem with the Kuro is sadly what it is. Same as the original PS3 was to Sony. These things were Premium products that were manufactured to a high Premium standard at a time when the technology was very new in the public sector and as such it cost more to manufacture per unit than they were making back. Its classic underselling trying to get the best product out there but trying to be competitive on price. Id love Kuros to still be made today as i want more choice and competition as it drives innovation.

Thats why even though i have an iphone i dont like bad mouthing android as both have great ideas that drives the other.

Its like Steve said at the TPS day when OLED starts going mainstream in a couple years he hopes they dont drop to the £1000 price range as for that money what will you really be getting ? they cant start underselling this new tech because we will end up with cheap poorly made crap with more faults than even this forum could complain about lol

The problems i see with both are Kuro now being discounted makes it if theres any other issues it could make after sales a bit of a hassle.

The VT is felt Panasonic could of made better but are just perhaps slowing down now on plasma development putting more effort into LED and OLED. We all know plasma is now on borrowed time. So no matter the tv lets all just enjoy these beautiful tvs while we can.

stucarblne

It will be a sad day for all video enthusiasts if plasma goes down the pan.

I for one hope it finds a way to keep going somehow

Nevaborn

stucarblne said:
It will be a sad day for all video enthusiasts if plasma goes down the pan.

I for one hope it finds a way to keep going somehow
Sadly its coming as its not cost productive to make plasma when most people buy cheaper LCD/LED

mancs

Banned

stu i think you refer to me in the kuro thread? I jokinly thought i would wined you up after catching you bad mouthing the vt in there has you have done in vt related threads also, stu give up the fanboy bravado mate it is very boring now and makin you look like a moron if i am to be honest.. I even seen a person say to you that the kuro would (in his opinion) have slightly Better pq but still you would not concede and still contested due to not hearing the sentence in th line of the kuro is way Better , which just aint true mate. there is no point carrying on the discussion which is Better you will never except that the vt offers more which it does. So lets all agree to disagree mate keep enjoying your kuro whilst we enjoy(most of us) our pannys which i havent even got yet but still will be with out a doubt. By the way i Cant help but feel this thread is nothing but a flamebaiting set up and should be deleted , if the person Cant read reviews of the Panasonic which are all exceptional or even go and view with there own eyes then ask if they compare to a pioneer then there something fishy going on.THE END!

Last edited:

stucarblne

I haven't a clue who you are referring to tbh mancs :thumbsup: Oh and keep the name calling down and all plse mate, as it sounds moronic

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
OLED is the best replacement for the kuro..save your money
How can you say that when you've probably never even seen one, OLED is the future but I think it could be a couple of generations before they are where they need to be in terms of performance & price.

all clear

How can you say that when you've probably never even seen one, OLED is the future but I think it could be a couple of generations before they are where they need to be in terms of performance & price.
Are you serious man?? the black level is Awesome BETTER than any plasma TV...motion is excellent the only disadvantage in this technology is the short life..and they`ll fix it soon !

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
Are you serious man?? the black level is Awesome BETTER than any plasma TV...motion is excellent the only disadvantage in this technology is the short life..and they`ll fix it soon !
Yes, I'm very serious! A 55inch screen will probably cost around 8k at release, good luck with that, as I said a good couple of years away yet before they are where they need to be.

Last edited: