Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 7

I always wanted a Kuro and found an LX5090 going cheap on here, should be better than my Samsung as only just are people talking about the VT50 being close it them.

As long as it is a fair price then go for it. KRP's can be had so cheap these days I'd go for one of them. Whatever you buy, just be warned that it is likely to have the dreaded red tint to blacks - unless voltage adjusted. I wouldn't rule one out if it had been adjusted if it has sorted the red tint problem. Have a viewing first if you can and check for sparklies/pixel misfire/black rain side effects.

Here's two more not well known advantages. Pioneer used their 10 generation glass in the KRP-500Ms and the PDP-5020Fd has the 9 generation glass.

KRP-500Ms can be upgraded to enable the ISFccc day/night modes for the best possible calibration. The upgrade patch can be purchsed at www.controlcal.com . The upgrade patch may void the warranty so it's buyer beware on this very cool upgrade.

Here's two more not well known advantages. Pioneer used their 10 generation glass in the KRP-500Ms and the PDP-5020Fd has the 9 generation glass.

KRP-500Ms can be upgraded to enable the ISFccc day/night modes for the best possible calibration. The upgrade patch can be purchsed at www.controlcal.com . The upgrade patch may void the warranty so it's buyer beware on this very cool upgrade.
why purchase an upgrade patch?just get a professional calibration

why purchase an upgrade patch?just get a professional calibration

Just posting inf about the 500m Model
and id imagine can be done free now that years have gone by ……

Was it Panasonic glass then?

Hi guys I have a pioneer KRP 500 50" boxed and in full working order for sale. What is it worth?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210612-082109_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-082109_Facebook.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 84
Afternoon,

Anyone had a media box repaired, the blinking blue light, and can recommend a place? I have read of people getting them repaired only for them to break down again a few weeks later so would like a recommendation.

I’m based near Heathrow.

Thanks.
I had this a few weeks ago.
I'm lucky as I live close to Peterborough Video Services
They carry out repairs and guarantee work for most of the big manufacturers.

I rang up and spoke to an engineer. He said he knew exactly what it was but had me count the flashes to see which thingy needed changing.
On mine it was 8 blue flashes (on the Plasma) then a small pause, then 8 again repeating.
Mines a 60" but for £30 (local) they'll sent a couple of guys out to collect and then bring it back after the repair.
The repair was £90 which I thought was cheap and well worth it.

Not the best option for you at Heathrow, but It's a known issue on sets that have done some mileage and easily fixed by swapping some chip or something (can't quite remember)
So I would imagine a quick google for local TV repairs should sort it out for you.

Good luck

PS - Just saw the date of your post so hopefully it's all sorted now?

Probably best to go back to part 1 of this thread. It's been 14 years.

I may need to replace my media box soon as i have the 8 flashing blue lights.

Can anyone tell me whether my picture settings are saved in the TV or the Media Box, will i need to write all my settings down if i change the media box.

Can anyone tell me whether my picture settings are saved in the TV or the Media Box, will i need to write all my settings down if i change the media box.
Media box is the brains, so I would take a strong guess the settings are saved in it.

But probably worth getting it repaired. It’s only some ic regulators that need replacing. Good thing is the media box is a lot easier to ship somewhere.

Have you used them for this media box repair in the past, any idea how much they charge. I have looked at places on eBay and it is £200 plus postage there and back. So probably getting on for £240 all in.

I am going to see if i can pick a spare box up on eBay, then i would have two boxes so if i send one off for repair i won't be without a TV.

Last edited:
Media box is the brains, so I would take a strong guess the settings are saved in it.
Yes i would have thought so as well.

I think i will take some pics of my settings tonight just incase it goes kaput over Xmas.

pioneerman is the guy to use on eBay
Yes that was who i was planning on using, seems to be the main man when it comes to Pioneer equipment.

I remember speaking to him a few years ago, he told me about all the stock he bought when Pioneer pulled out of the TV market, the amount he bought was amazing.

See if you can source a second hand box for under £100 and save your money on paying for a very expensive repair.

That is my plan at the moment, just hope mine doesn't go kaput whilst i am trying to source another one.
Over the years either myself or my dad look out for cheap boxes. They do come up but it’s all about the timing. Sometimes people get them and don’t know what to do with them or can’t test them so they get listed cheaply on ebay as spares or repair but they end up being working models.
Lastly, if you haven’t done so already, I recommend that you open up the box and give it a good hoover and clean it from all the build up of dust. A soft bristled paintbrush works well. I would also do this on your panel.

Just got me another Pioneer 500A TV! :)

That’s me done for years now hopefully. :thumbsup:

No need to write down anything. Just display the settings on screen and use your phone's camera to get pictures of the settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom