Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 7

These screens were able to go pure black from the beginning. Over time, they're over 10 years old now, some developed a red push.

You could get into the service menu and alter the settings to fix this, which I did. All the information is in this thread still from various members that have done it, including comparisons to Oled.

I still have mine, but it's in spare room as I've upgraded to oled.
plasma tech was not designed to do o blacks, oled yes

These screens were able to go pure black from the beginning. Over time, they're over 10 years old now, some developed a red push.

You could get into the service menu and alter the settings to fix this, which I did. All the information is in this thread still from various members that have done it, including comparisons to Oled.

I still have mine, but it's in spare room as I've upgraded to oled.
Do you prefer the oled over The KRP
What main differences besides 4k resolution do you see.

Hi,

Double posted in the other Kuro thread.

Looking to pick up a KRP 600a, what price should i be looking to pay?

Also, going to test it on Thurs, i have read i should be checking for a buzz/clicking sound, red tint, screen burn, pixels, banding. Anything else and how should I check for the above?

Anyway to check hours used without the original remote?

Thanks.

Hi,

Double posted in the other Kuro thread.

Looking to pick up a KRP 600a, what price should i be looking to pay?

Also, going to test it on Thurs, i have read i should be checking for a buzz/clicking sound, red tint, screen burn, pixels, banding. Anything else and how should I check for the above?

Anyway to check hours used without the original remote?

Thanks.
it will have red tint, unless its been tweaked out, they all get it as hours increase, you need a harmony remote, with code, or service remote to enter service menu.

Do folks here game on their KRP's? If so do you engage Orbiter? I played Ninja Gaiden 2 yesterday and it looks awesome but after an hour I had a bit retention on the life bar, but it went away after a couple of minutes....tonight I will activate Orbiter to see if it helps in that regard. Never used that function before myself, but seems its indeed needed when gaming.

Do you prefer the oled over The KRP
What main differences besides 4k resolution do you see.

The contrast is a lot better imo. The plasma looks dull in compariso . I wasn't expecting such a difference at 1080p.

I was able to compare side by side.

Do folks here game on their KRP's? If so do you engage Orbiter? I played Ninja Gaiden 2 yesterday and it looks awesome but after an hour I had a bit retention on the life bar, but it went away after a couple of minutes....tonight I will activate Orbiter to see if it helps in that regard. Never used that function before myself, but seems its indeed needed when gaming.

Hello just seen your post. I would definitely advise turning the orbiter mode on to 2 when gaming. In fact I have it on for regular Sky TV watching also, I’d only have it switched off when watching blu Ray movies.

Hello just seen your post. I would definitely advise turning the orbiter mode on to 2 when gaming. In fact I have it on for regular Sky TV watching also, I’d only have it switched off when watching blu Ray movies.

Thanks for the info my man.......I have it on 1 everytime I game since that day. I never engage the full orbitor. Any reason you have it off when doing movies? It wont effect the PQ one way or the other right?

Last edited:
The Orbiter should be used strictly with gaming only. And even then if you are doing for 3+ hours constantly. It should not be used with any type of normal TV video as it does affect PQ severely

The Orbiter should be used strictly with gaming only. And even then if you are doing for 3+ hours constantly. It should not be used with any type of normal TV video as it does affect PQ severely

It does? How so mate? I hate retention and BI, so I have mine on O1 at all times practically. Never used O2 though.

It does? How so mate? I hate retention and BI, so I have mine on O1 at all times practically. Never used O2 though.
If you are using dot by dot screen mode then you should be using orbiter mode 2.
If you use full screen then mode 1 is fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info my man.......I have it on 1 everytime I game since that day. I never engage the full orbitor. Any reason you have it off when doing movies? It wont effect the PQ one way or the other right?
If shifts the image very slightly.
Movies are quite safe to watch and what the Tv is made for really .

If you are using dot by dot screen mode then you should be using orbiter mode 2.
If you use full screen then mode 1 is fine .

If you don’t want it on when watching regular TV then avoid watching channels with onscreen graphics like Sky News, and Sky sports News for long periods of time - you will get screen burn eventually if you do.

I almost never watch programmes on it, maybe a footy match here and there. And I only use dbd on BD.

If shifts the image very slightly.
Movies are quite safe to watch and what the Tv is made for really .

Yeah I only game and watch movies on it. Nothing super heavy.

never had orbiter on from day one, not a hint of anything, set been calibrated twice by two different calibrators, and both said to keep off

The contrast is a lot better imo. The plasma looks dull in compariso . I wasn't expecting such a difference at 1080p.

I was able to compare side by side.

I do not find that the KRP looks dull in comparison to an OLED at all, my KRP has 2 calibrated ports HDMI 1 ISF DAY and HDMI 4 ISF DAY and NIGHT, 2 different calibrations from 2 different calibrators, it is slightly less sharp and I mean I struggle to tell but it's more down to it not being a 4K set than anything else, the blacks are better on the oled and it shows less banding but overall the KRP is a fantastic picture.

My krp 500m which I still have, had better accurate colour than the latest LG e8 which I had and then returned. The motion was horrible on LG. The colours were off gradations and colour banding was there. Overall the picture had too many issues and that was only from watching Netflix which the pioneer handled so much better. And the black tends to go grey (floating blacks) so it’s not perfect black. Something about a plasma picture that current oled can’t seem to get that warm natural look.

I still have both and in normal day to day I prefer the B7. Obviously in a pitch black room and watching 1080p content they're very close.

But I tend to watch a lot of 4k hdr content, so get more value out of the LG.

The kuro isn't going anywhere, but it took me 10 years to find a screen I was comfortable buying for main use.

My krp 500m which I still have, had better accurate colour than the latest LG e8 which I had and then returned. The motion was horrible on LG. The colours were off gradations and colour banding was there. Overall the picture had too many issues and that was only from watching Netflix which the pioneer handled so much better. And the black tends to go grey (floating blacks) so it’s not perfect black. Something about a plasma picture that current oled can’t seem to get that warm natural look.

Did you have to pay a restocking fee for giving the LG back..?? I too own both oled and a kuro had krp500 then 600 in my den prior and now in there I only use my oled (Panasonic) for films bluray and hdr 4k ..basically a monitor.. the only issue I had was banding on a blank screen but not on content.. it took me yrs to go from a kuro.. front room one is in use everyday for 11yrs now love the picture.. does everything great...but in all honestly can say though the Panasonic is a better movie machine for me because of the 4khdr .. watching Jurassic world fallen kingdom 4k is the best picture I have seen on a tv.. with films it looks and handles just like a plasma/kuro but more detailed and brighter but still cinematic...1080p is great on it also although have to say grainier scenes on 1080p blurays like The Thing (most recent Arrow upscale) DOES look easier to the eye on the kuro..doesn't seem to pick up the grain as much... if it wasnt for the Panasonic I very much doubt I would have gone oled..
Be great if pioneer came back..

Last edited:
No I did not pay any restocking fee.
Out of all the current 4K oled. Panasonic is the best out of the box shows the picture how it should be even with the limitations of the panel.
I will be looking into the gz2000
But I’ll always keep my pioneer krp
And Samsung s9c oled.
I still can’t manage to hold a 4K oled. They seem to be so unpredictable in performance. Believe me I’ve been through most of them Sony af9 Panasonic fz952 and LG but I can’t go back to them. Worst out of the lot.

To be fair if the Panasonic had issues then I would of being going back to looking for a used krp500 or a zt60 as the blacks were better on that than the larger 600 screen..
I have heard of panel uniformity issues so am thankful that my 1st and current ez952 panel is working fine... as all it's used for are movies it's as good as gold so no stutter issues for tv/sky ... the gz2000 is meant to be the nuts but will see.. I'd like a bigger TV but not sure can do the cost at present and only sit 6.5 feet away as my den is long ways for seating but at times feel at points the 65 can be too big..
I also demoed the LG and Sony in a dark room along side the Panasonic in my RS a yr half ago but the pic settings were not ...should I say plasma/cinematic enough for me and still had a slight soap opera movement to them ...

I am having the Redish blacks how can I fix it ?

Logitech harmony remote with a long code programmed into it.. there is a thread removing red tint with a logitech remote .. or if there is anyone near you with one programmed that could lend you it..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom