Pioneer KRP-A Owners Thread - Part 7

Hi again.

I can’t find SAD in the voltages? What’s it next too?

For reference, my voltages currently are
VOL RSTP: 006
VOL XPOFS1: 105
VOLXPOFS2: 063
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 084
VOL YKNOFS3: 094
VOL YKNOFS4: 141
VOL YKNOFSA D: 128
There’s loads more as you will know, but I cant be bothered to type them out 😄

This is a ‘Nam flashback to 4/5 years ago! lol

Cheers.
Mike

Hi again.

I can’t find SAD in the voltages? What’s it next too?

For reference, my voltages currently are
VOL RSTP: 006
VOL XPOFS1: 105
VOLXPOFS2: 063
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 084
VOL YKNOFS3: 094
VOL YKNOFS4: 141
VOL YKNOFSA D: 128
There’s loads more as you will know, but I cant be bothered to type them out 😄

This is a ‘Nam flashback to 4/5 years ago! lol

Cheers.
Mike

VOL YKNOFSA D: 128......dont play around with S1-4. Tell us how it went, how inky it gets......good luck.

Adjusting SAD makes a big difference to black level. When I got it down to levels which really made a difference (around 100) the purple misfires were more pronounced and took longer clear. I really took it down to what appeared to be very near OLED black levels down to 60. The picture was unwatchable with permanent purple misfires.

I guess all panels will respond differently dependent on their usage.

For me, If I can clear my occasional purple misfires that will do me. Any adjustment suggestions to clear these?

I really took SAD down!

Attachments

• 5FF28F5A-5A4A-468A-9FDE-103BF68ED19F.jpeg
    5FF28F5A-5A4A-468A-9FDE-103BF68ED19F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Even the text is purple, I wouldn't like that.

Hey all

Yeah it was completely purple all across the screen and utterly unwatchable. An utter mess! To be fair, that screenshot was just me bringing SAD down to rock bottom see how dark I could make the panel go. It was OLED black performance then! lol

I do get now why people are reporting near OLED black levels on their adjusted sets. Are people getting these results and managing to avoid any other side effects though (sparklies, black rain and misfires etc)?

I’ve put my voltages back to where they were again as it seems to be best compromise on my panel between no red tint and minimum side effects.

Aside from raising RSTP back up (and bringing the red tint back) any ideas about how I could fine tune out the occasional purple misfires I still get?

Aside from raising RSTP back up (and bringing the red tint back) any ideas about how I could fine tune out the occasional purple misfires I still get?

Not that I'm aware of.

Have you considered bias lighting? Medialight? You'd be surprised by how far you can push RSTP and still not see red tint when you have a bit of light behind your TV!

At least on a reset LX5090 I could go as high as 128. I had to lower RSTP as the TV aged (RSTP raises internally with age AFAIK), but it was a small price to pay to have no green sparkles after a reset.

It's usually seen as a cheap hack for LCDs, but it's used by the studios that grade your films/shows, so you see a more correct picture with bias lighting than without.

Vincent Teoh recently calibrated a KRP500A and was able to remove the red tint without voltage adjustments, so you could play around with the RGB lows and see if that helps.

Just throwing out alternatives because sometimes there's only so much you can do with the voltages, and as you know they come with drawbacks when lowered/raised too much.

The KRP500A can have OLED blacks without black rain, sparkles or misfires etc, but yeah, I don't think you'll want to go back to a 50" after owning a 60" haha.

Last edited:
Hey all

Yeah it was completely purple all across the screen and utterly unwatchable. An utter mess! To be fair, that screenshot was just me bringing SAD down to rock bottom see how dark I could make the panel go. It was OLED black performance then! lol

I do get now why people are reporting near OLED black levels on their adjusted sets. Are people getting these results and managing to avoid any other side effects though (sparklies, black rain and misfires etc)?

I’ve put my voltages back to where they were again as it seems to be best compromise on my panel between no red tint and minimum side effects.

I got the red tint after like 4500 hours, Im at almost 7000 now and if I put SAD on 90 I get pretty much oled mll without issues. But since I havent clocked enough hours I dont push it that low. Its inky enough at 100. Once I have over 10K on it I will push it close to 90. In the beginning I had BR here and there but not anymore.

90 is too low black crush, and pic quality is effected imo and i have 26 thousand hours on mine

90 is too low black crush, and pic quality is effected imo and i have 26 thousand hours on mine

YEs I get a bit BC but I dont see how the image is worse? My eyes may be playing tricks on me but I dont see the pq getting somewhat worse. I think 98-100 is very very good.

I’ve Just lowered the sad to 100 from 128 and rstp to 003, leaving the rest at factory settings.

You can lower the sad to 90 over 10k hours and below 10k to 100, which for me is sufficient to keep inky blacks and in turn remove the dreaded red tint.

Hi GMAN40

Do you get no side effects on your panel with these settings such as magenta misfires? My KRP600a would have a lot of magenta misfires taking a few seconds to clear with these numbers.

Just curious

Cheers.
Mike

Hi Mike,
With these numbers i am not getting any magenta misfires. One thing to note is the 600A/M will never go as black as the 500A/M.
Thx
GMAN40

What do you guys use to clean your screens?

I’ve always told the missus, do not touch the screen! If it needs a bit of a clean, I’ll sort. I come back from the football yesterday, what has she done? Yep tried to clean the screen (thankfully with no chemicals!) and left a smeary mess!

Getting my first KRP-500A today, been using a 4280xd for the last 10 years.

Getting quite excited about it now, been reading for years how good these sets are, hope it lives up to my expectations.

Anything i need to know, haven't got time to read through all 7 parts of the owners thread before this afternoon.

What is the best picture mode to have it on just to start with, best out of the box setting so to speak.

I will be using a sharp sound bar just to start with, do i connect this direct to the tv or the media box.

Getting my first KRP-500A today, been using a 4280xd for the last 10 years.

Getting quite excited about it now, been reading for years how good these sets are, hope it lives up to my expectations.

Anything i need to know, haven't got time to read through all 7 parts of the owners thread before this afternoon.

What is the best picture mode to have it on just to start with, best out of the box setting so to speak.

I will be using a sharp sound bar just to start with, do i connect this direct to the tv or the media box.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I recently got a KRP to go with my 4280/5080's and love it. I take it you are aware of the red tint issue? If it's not already been dealt with then you will need to sort that out unless you've managed to find a new/unused KRP from somewhere.

Pure mode is the best. Can't answer the soundbar question as I have the KRP-M with no media box.

Asked the owner about the red tint thing but he had never heard anything about it, said he definitely hasn't noticed anything. Said the picture is just like the day he bought it.

Seems a very genuine guy, he seems to know bit about tv's but i don't think he is an enthusiast like people on here. He just bought it because of all the good reviews he had read about it.

He has owned it since new, and it has only been used in the evenings, so milage might not be too high. He said it is in mint condition, and is fully boxed with all accessories, it's all just like when he purchased it.

I don't think i will go looking for the red tint, i will just see if i notice it.

He has replaced it with a C9, but he said the picture is much more natural on the KRP.

Seems mad that you have to buy a 10 year old tv to get the best all round picture quality (possibly).

I bought mine off a chap on here and there was no mention of red tint and I didn't go looking for it but still found it almost immediately and it was pretty bad. Based on what I'd read though I was expecting it either from the start, or in time depending on how many hours the set had done, so I wasn't overly upset. Got into the service menu and it had done well over 25000 hours so certainly well used! I wonder if some people just don't notice it if it's gradually creeping up on them but coming from an 8th gen set, that I don't think suffers from the same problem, it may seem more obviuos to you that it was to the original owner. Don't worry though, it's very easily fixed if it is an issue for you.

Asked the owner about the red tint thing but he had never heard anything about it, said he definitely hasn't noticed anything. Said the picture is just like the day he bought it.

Seems a very genuine guy, he seems to know bit about tv's but i don't think he is an enthusiast like people on here. He just bought it because of all the good reviews he had read about it.

He has owned it since new, and it has only been used in the evenings, so milage might not be too high. He said it is in mint condition, and is fully boxed with all accessories, it's all just like when he purchased it.

I don't think i will go looking for the red tint, i will just see if i notice it.

He has replaced it with a C9, but he said the picture is much more natural on the KRP.

Seems mad that you have to buy a 10 year old tv to get the best all round picture quality (possibly).

Congratulations it's a fine screen... if it gets tweaked it will deepen the blacks as well as rid the tint... then the other colours pop more.. Ive had the last gen kuros for 11 or so yrs and before that had a 7 series and it was a night and day difference...it is hard to get the same sort of natural picture a plasma produces but I eventually found it though in the Panasonic line of OLED tv.. only used for bluray discs in a dedicated room whilst the other kuro is still in front family room...good blurays will be great in full HD and the 4khdr is a sight to behold but the krp cant do that ... however grainy blurays look better on the pioneer to my eye and as an all round set it's hard to beat especially for the price you can get them now... hope you got a good deal on it..

I bought mine off a chap on here and there was no mention of red tint and I didn't go looking for it but still found it almost immediately and it was pretty bad. Based on what I'd read though I was expecting it either from the start, or in time depending on how many hours the set had done, so I wasn't overly upset. Got into the service menu and it had done well over 25000 hours so certainly well used! I wonder if some people just don't notice it if it's gradually creeping up on them but coming from an 8th gen set, that I don't think suffers from the same problem, it may seem more obviuos to you that it was to the original owner. Don't worry though, it's very easily fixed if it is an issue for you.

I think you are probably correct, it will almost certainly be there but with the owner not knowing anything about it he has never noticed it, like you say it will just have crept in slowly over time.

Congratulations it's a fine screen... if it gets tweaked it will deepen the blacks as well as rid the tint... then the other colours pop more.. Ive had the last gen kuros for 11 or so yrs and before that had a 7 series and it was a night and day difference...it is hard to get the same sort of natural picture a plasma produces but I eventually found it though in the Panasonic line of OLED tv.. only used for bluray discs in a dedicated room whilst the other kuro is still in front family room...good blurays will be great in full HD and the 4khdr is a sight to behold but the krp cant do that ... however grainy blurays look better on the pioneer to my eye and as an all round set it's hard to beat especially for the price you can get them now... hope you got a good deal on it..
Got it for £250 so not a big gamble, peanuts for what i am getting.

I am collecting it this afternoon, hoping to get it set up this evening.

I have read bits over the years about the red tint thing, but i have never took much notice with me not actually owning one. I will have to have a proper read up on it in the next few days, because it looks like i am going to have to sort it at some point.

Is there a particular guide on here the explains how to spot it and the best way to sort it out, or do i need to read just go searching and read through some threads.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom