Pioneer KRP 500A Without Media reciever

osmosis2k

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone could please help me please!

I am looking to purchase a pioneer krp 500a to replace my 508xd.
I have managed to locate it but it comes without a media reciever.

I already an onkyo 577 av reciever and am unclear whether this media reciever still needs to be purchased as it is quite expensive? Are there alternatives which will do the job?

If not then do I simply connect the krp 500a to the onkyo directly via hdmi as with the previous pioneer?

Help!

Thanks sorry I am a newbie

This question has been asked before:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1367818-pioneer-krp-500a-without-receiver.html

I don't think it's possible but it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with Pioneer and see what they say.

Ok thank you, just one more question please.

I have read that it may be possible to use the Pioneer PDAV100HD HD AV Converter as opposed to the KRP 01 media reciever as it is cheaper.

Is this true are there any disadvantages?

Thanks again

I have no idea mate sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I have no idea mate sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I have been getting mixed opinions on this some people are saying its possible to get a away without a media reciever with a Display port to HDMI cable connecting directly into your AV Reciever whilst others are saying you must have the media reciever with the KRP 500A. I wish someone could please just help me with a definitive answer!

I think there was a thread here, where someone had actually tried this and it didn't work.

If I could bypass my media box, I would, as I only use one input on the TV.

I think there was a thread here, where someone had actually tried this and it didn't work.

If I could bypass my media box, I would, as I only use one input on the TV.

Ok thanks much appreciated, I would have thought it would be possible but it seems like it isn't

I tried with an passive DisplayPort - Hdmi adapter, but got no picture.
Belkin makes a active adapter, Belkin AV360 Mini DisplayPort Converter.

It might work.

The TV does not work without the media receiver. This contains electronics which the screen requires to work, such as input selection. Although the system uses a DisplayPort cable, it isn't actually a DisplayPort device (neither the TV nor the media box carry the logo) they are just using that cable to transmit various information. You can't use the PDAV100 either as it does not have these same capabilities.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom