Pioneer krp-500a/sc-lx81/ps3/xboox/dellxps/sky hd/BDP what is optimal audio and video

Asarao1234

Novice Member
Reaction score
i will have a pioneer krp-500a,sc-lx81,either a bdp-71 or bdp-91,sky hd,ps3,xbox and dell xps 720h2c(speakers cm-9,cmc2,cm-5.svs pc13u).I want to use van del hul hdmi cables.

1) My dell outputs in coax or toslink(auzentech x-fi prelude),how should i connect to amp,as my gpu has dvi ouputs,u can buy dvi to hdmi which i can connect to amp with.If use seperate connections for audio and video can i get the amp to link them.This will take up 1 hdmi.

2)Sky hd i will connect with hdmi of course,i have heard that optical cables should eb used as the hdmi output is only stereo,once again will the amp assoiciate the audio and video channels.This will take up 1 hdmi.

3)My ps3 will output throught hdmi as the wire carries hd audio as well,this will take up 1 hdmi.

4)My xbox 360 will output through hdmi for video and optical for audio,yet again will the amp associate the two. this will take up 1 hdmi.

5)My blu ray player,i have not got this yet as i am decinding which one i need,this will output with hdmi for both audio and video.This will take up 1 hdmi.

that makes 5 devices,the pioneer sc-lx81 has 4 inputs,will i have to get a switcher,will this reduce the quality as i am getting expensive cable and will not want a switcher to ruin the quality.

Should i connect everything through my amp or would a connection to the tv be best,for example ms's count in gaming so would direct connection be the best.With upscaling dvd's with my blu ray player need an amp.any advice on how to connect and where to connect is needed

If you have more than one HDMI input on your tv, then I would suggest sending the skyhd via hdmi straight to your display with audio via optical to the amp. As you have to use the optical for 5.1 anyway, you don't really need to send the hdmi from sky thru the amp.

Also if your using hdmi from the xbox you won't need the optical as (unlike sky) the xbox does output 5.1 over hdmi.

I want to use van del hul hdmi cables.

Is this based on testing or experience? If it's on a magazine review or simply because they're expensive, I would reconsider and before splashing the cash, try others. I can't tell the difference between cheaper and fancy HDMI cables and as such can highly recommend the likes of the octava cables from tmfsolutions. I would allocate the savings made to elsewhere in your proposed setup or simply buy more Blurays!

1) My dell outputs in coax or toslink(auzentech x-fi prelude),how should i connect to amp,as my gpu has dvi ouputs,u can buy dvi to hdmi which i can connect to amp with.If use seperate connections for audio and video can i get the amp to link them.This will take up 1 hdmi.

Yes, you simply assign a digital audio input to the video input in the setup and the video and audio are matched

2)Sky hd i will connect with hdmi of course,i have heard that optical cables should eb used as the hdmi output is only stereo,once again will the amp assoiciate the audio and video channels.This will take up 1 hdmi.

As already mentioned above, I would connect direct to the TV and use the optical (or on digi-coax if your box is newer) via the amp for audio. This will give you the option of quiet listening using the TV speakers or via the amp for movies/gaming.

4)My xbox 360 will output through hdmi for video and optical for audio,yet again will the amp associate the two. this will take up 1 hdmi

The Xbox 360 will output DD over HDMI so the optical is not required.

that makes 5 devices,the pioneer sc-lx81 has 4 inputs,will i have to get a switcher,will this reduce the quality as i am getting expensive cable and will not want a switcher to ruin the quality.

If you follow the advice above, you will have no need for a switch. The switch shouldn't degrade the quality anyway.

Should i connect everything through my amp or would a connection to the tv be best,for example ms's count in gaming so would direct connection be the best.With upscaling dvd's with my blu ray player need an amp.any advice on how to connect and where to connect is needed

Obviously with certain devices, connection to the amp is required e.g. for HDMI as it passes audio and video. The amp (or anything else in the chain) shouldn't affect the signal or any milliseconds with gaming. As the amp will be on for the PC (audio), you might as well utilise switching too. As for scaling via the amp, try the scaler in the source and display first, you might find that they offer better scaling performance as usually it is only higher end amps that have decent quality scalers that offer a performance increase over the ones in the source or display. Personally I would set the source (player) to scale.

thanks for the reply,much appreciated,i am willing to spend up to the priced of teh van del hul cable,what cable do you reccomend up to that price(yes i did go on the what hifi review,hehe).

Seriously you do not need to spend anywhere near as much as the VDH.

In my own system, I use:

MarkGrant. His cables are brilliant and all tested before dispatch. I use various MG cables in my own system from HDMI to mains to RCA. Excellent

Bettercables

Octava

hdcable Pro 2

Any of the above will do the job nicely.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom