Pioneer Kit

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by GJD, Jan 16, 2003.

1. GJD

GJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just speccing up for my Dad who lives in the US a Pioneer-based system (4330HD Plasma, DV656A Multi-Region DVD, HTP-220-S/K Amp / Speaker Package - do you rate this kit?) and I can't see how the amp will take the digital audio from the HDTV ready 4330HD lasma (coax digital cable will allow this from the DVD to the amp OK). Do I need to look at an amp with a component input (and not just Digital coax and fibre) to get this set up?

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    If you are spec'ing this for the USA then do please take some advice on the HDCP issue.

Right now in the USA this is getting to be a hot topic as the ability of HD receivers to output a full HD signal to display devices is likely to be limited to those devices fitted with a socket compliant with the HDCP standards.

It is by no means certain that current models of the Pioneer HD plasmas have a compliant socket, nor is it certain that even if the socket is compliant that the media box that it ships with is also compliant.

The importance of this is that if it proves to be the case that the screen socket is not actually compliant then there is no option to upgrade it.

This is only really an issue for the USA at the moment due to a lack of HD material over here, but if an HD variant of DVD ever becomes popular then it could matter to us as well.

Check out the forums here for more information that you could possibly need on this issue :) - www.avsforum.com

Mark

3. GJD

GJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many thanks for that Mark. I stumbled upon the potential connection Problem with Pioneer HDTV plasmas on the US forums yesterday. The top of the range Samsung Satellite / HDTV box has (I think) the 15 pin connector output that the Tuner on the Pioneer Plasma has. Does the compatibility issue go deeper than just the type of connectors do you think?

Greg

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Yep, there is more to it than that, you can't just replace the media box that ships with the Pioneer on the basis that the connector is the same.

The cable between the screen and the media box is a dual-head cable, one half looks like a DVI cable but the other half is also needed to carry the remote control signals.

That also still leaves the issue of HDCP compliance which is matter of hardware in the screen not just the connector type.

Mark